The Flying Nun

ABC (ended 1970)

mrdivot

The Flying Nun Fan Reviews (2)

• Inside story on the Flying Nun.

I faithfully watched this show, and still do if I catch it on TV.

My Dad, Buck Smith, was the crane operator who "flew" Sally Field's stunt woman. Dad told me the stunt woman was pregnant, so they called her the "pregnant nun." LOL He also told me that often his crane would be set up outside the walls of the convent set, and he would have to fly the stunt woman inside the perimeter of the convent. Unfortunately, once she smashed into the wall! He said he felt really bad about it, but he honestly couldn't see her. It was an entertaining and enjoyable show... whether Dad was involved or not! Sally Field was so endearing and drew you into her antics! She was and is still a beauty. I would recommend this show to anyone who loves Sally Field and has a sense of humor .
  • A great example of Christian chaity

A not-so-likely girl from Chicago becomes a nun and moves to the Convent San Tanco in San Juan, Puerto Rico. Her creative ideas and youthful spirit are a breath of fresh air in the convent.

Many of the episodes introduce someone with a problem (sometimes with a dark past they are ashamed of). Sister Bertrille (played by Sally Field) is usually the first to demonstrate true Christian charity by looking beyond their faults and offering a solution to the problem.

And then there is Carlos Ramirez--a less-than-moral owner of the local night club. Although he would classify as a sinner by the church's standards, Sister Bertrille deveops a genuine friendship with him and helps him overcome many of his character flaws.

The special effects are chessy by today's standards, but the show is worthy of repeated viewing. My family and I have watched the first two seasons on DVD. Time well spent!