A The Following Community
FOX (ended 2015)
Well, grumpyclown couldn't make it this week, but I decided to post in and write up a review. If it's late... well, I don't normally review the show. And with the Olympics over, someone's got to write those recaps.

And so onto this week. The FBI is not present for the most part. So there's only one real instance of FBI stupidity, thanks goodness. But it's a whopper. More on that later.

So what went on this week? We find out that Mark's a liar liar pants on fire, because he had the key to the door all along.

A lying psychopath? What a shocker!

Mendez pretty much tells Mike to hit the road. Can't blame her: what's he doing for the FBI, exactly?

Joe, Lily, and the Beard-Void are in bed having post-coital snuggums. She invites him to her home in Venezuela to hang out, clearly trying to control him after saying last week she wouldn't want him if she could control him. (huh?) Apparently being a sociopath means never having to be consistent from week to week.

The Beard - Gone but not forgotten
And Ryan is sitting in his bed at the motel, apparently having come to the conclusion that he's putting Max in danger with his Captain Ahab-like pursuit of Joe. Ah, that keen deductive mind. Joe = Danger. So he calls in Mike, unaware that he's getting Mike-o the Psycho instead. The first warning sign might be when they ambush Luke at the hotel and Mike takes a 2x4 to him. Ryan doesn't seem to notice, despite his keen profiling and deductive abilities. Meanwhile, Mike says that they can't call in the FBI because someone there is apparently the mole. So Ryan, despite wanting to call in the FBI to keep Max safe, drops that whole idea and figures Mike will do.

So once they have Luke, and he engages in some sexual taunting with Max, Mike hits him again. Ignoring that, Ryan and Max decide to trade him for Joe in return for letting Lily and her rapidly-diminishing International House of Psycho* residents get away. I must admit, I'm kinda curious to know if Ryan is serious when he says that he'd let them go. He's only said it to Lily's people, and never when he's alone with Max or Mike. Would Ryan let them go in return for Joe? Maybe the writers will let us know sometime.

So Lily agrees to the deal, but first she drugs Joe when she realizes he isn't heading to Venezuela with her. Joe falls for it and then falls over. While Lily leaves Joe, Emma, and Mandy to Radmila and Sami the redshirts. she and Mark go to a lovely scenic dam: one of those in the TV and movies where workers never hang out there and work.

Dam if you do, dam if you don't.

Mike runs cross-country to the dam to slash Lily's tires, while Max takes Luke there upfront. Lily arrives with a random hostage wearing a Joe mask and demands to see Ryan. Ryan is at the manor disposing of Sami and discovering that Emma and a curiously useless Mandy have woken up Joe and he's mortally wounded Radmila. Ryan finally sees Joe for the first time as Joe drives off, confirming his worse suspicions. He then starts running, ignoring both his heart condition (what heart condition?) and his recent gut wound. Ryan should be playing Wolverine in the X-Men movies instead of Hugh Jackman.

When Lily realizes that the whole thing is a setup (duh), she threatens to kill her hostage if Max doesn't surrender. Mike steps out and goes psycho again, stabbing Luke with a penknife, but despite that Lily doesn't cave and Max and Mike do. Lily and Mark run off and escape. Emma calls Mark and gets the address of the airfield where the plane is waiting to take them away, and Joe gets a call warning him not to take the plane.

Mendez arrives in a helicopter just in time to stop the plane from leaving, and she and Ryan discover that Joe isn't aboard. And Joe talks with Jana by phone and thanks her for the tipoff. So we're supposed to believe that Mendez, en route to Connecticut to capture the country's most infamous serial killer, decided to call Jana and let her know she was going after Joe? Let's imagine that conversation...

So, honey, can you pick up the kids? That guy on America's Most Wanted? I'm taking a helicopter to pick him up because he's escaping by small plane to a country where we can't extradite. I'll be there at eight. Thanks!

Alternately, maybe Jana just calls Joe anytime Mendez does anything the least bit suspicious. "Joe, you'd better run." "Jana, this is the third time you've called me today to tell me to run. You don't have to call me every time Mendez calls to ask if the kids are getting their milk."

(And yes, I know that Mendez thinks that she's going for Lily. but Jana is obviously interpreting it to mean that she's after Joe even if Mendez doesn't know it.)

So, Mike catches up to Lily and Mark, Luke attacks him, they escape, and Mike goes full-psycho and pulps Luke's face.

I am in blood. Covered in so much that, should I beat Luke no more, stopping were as tedious as go o'er.

Mendez makes some noises about how Ryan is going to get Max and Mike fired as well (episode 6 of 15: no, they're not going to be fired).

And Joe wraps it up by showing some balls by telling Lily that he's pretty much screwed her over and generally acting all snide and evil. After an off-screen year and five episodes of moping, it's nice to have James Purefoy doing some pure-evil stuff. Sure, he killed a minister but it was very boring.

So overall, "Fly Again" was a third-of-the-season gamechanger. Joe, Emma, and Mandy are heading off to some compound of Followers who aren't following Joe anymore. Another serial killer pops up with connections to Joe, and it sounds like Ryan is going to start working closer with Mendez.

Anyhoo, grumpyclown should be back for the new episode. Good luck, godspeed, and keep watching to see what those wacky FBI agents will do next!

-----

* can't take credit for that: Joe uses the phrase.
Comments (16)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Ryan Hardy having a go at Mike because he "nearly killed Luke".
Brilliant. Ryan Hardy's kill count of relatively innocent people stands at about 2,532.
Flag
yeah but that was different - he never beat someone in the head 10000 times!!
Flag
I love how incredibly bad this show is. Every week I watch it as a comedy!
Flag
This is such an unbelievably bad show I can't believe it's still on much less made it through a full season in the first place. I gave it 7-8 eps. last season and that was it, just continuing to be amazed that such a poorly written, lazy story line with the dumbest Cops and victims on any show ever would rate enough to keep on air and pay Kevin Bacon's bloated salary.
At least with Bacon doing this garbage he won't be a candidate to come over and spoil some good show like True Detective!
Flag
And Mandy. What's up with Mandy? She snarks on Emma once per episode, she looks lovingly at Joe once per episode, and that's it. This week's "Sacrifice," more of the same.

The actress is getting paid a show star's credit for this, while Valerie Cruz is a guest star? Huh?
Flag
Gislif - you write with the funniest touch of snark! Ii love it. I have never been able to get into the show but your reviews are really entertaining! It sounds like you watch despite yourself!
Flag
And those godawful Phantom of the Opera masks from last night. See my community photo from the episode to see what I mean if you haven't watched it yet.
Flag
I'm the editor: I have to watch. :)

In fairness, I probably would watch anyway. But it's more for the absurdity. Joe Weber in last night's "Sacrifice" - come on. We're talking Ed Woods Orgy of the Dead stuff here (Naked spirits! Topless dancers! Criswell!). Joe Weber used to be a serious actor...
Flag
Hazard pay?

At first I was like "Oh crap Gislef likes this show" and I thought of all the snarky comments I put into my Almost Human photo recaps about this coming on right after. I. Am. Relieved. :)
Flag
lol
Flag
Follow this Show
Members