A The Following Community
FOX (ended 2015)
Before we start, I have to share something that was pointed out to me in a PM - Mandy is gone but not alone, she and the Beard are in a better place...

This week starts a little bit on from where we left off last week, with Ryan in the woods, (probably still fully erect), but now he is trailing MC Robert (instead of Joe) - we are not given a reason - to the caged Korbanites who were unhappy with Joe killing a cat. As MC Robert and a token thug leave with one of their prisoners, Ryan approaches the cage, but is discovered by Jimmy, who he quickly kills - so roughly 2 minutes into this episode and Hardy has already murdered someone!

And I am reminded from this scene from Austin Powers:

We don't have time to mourn for poor Jimmy though, as elsewhere Claire is busy explaining her brilliant plan to the rest of Team Rogue:

Which immediately makes me think of this:

And the reactions from Team Rogue are equally appropriate:

Some of the actual dialogue was very similar-
Carrie: You want to do what?
Max: Yeah, thats all kinds of crazy!

Claire wants to go reveal the fact that she is alive to the world and thinks this is their best plan of action.
ARE YOU F*CKING KIDDING ME?
Deep breaths, deep breaths..
.....exhales......
Thankfully even Carrie, the underhand reporter, thinks this is a stupid idea and agrees to hold off until they hear from Ryan.

Pastor Tanner has received a message from Joe and plays it for the FBI in what could be considered the gaudiest TV room ever-

WHO HAS THEIR OWN NAME ABOVE A TV?

After a failed attempt at bonding and a prayer with Weston, the Pastor is convinced not to go on TV to pray for his son.

Hardy gets discovered AGAIN, and this time he strips his victim for his clothes so he can blend in with the crowd at Korban.

He conveniently overhears Emma laying out almost their whole plan to Tilda, when Joe makes a truly rockstar entrance:

Joe's cunning plan is to get the Pastors son to kill Courtney and presumably get him to join Team Joe. But Hardy puts a stop to this by failing to assassinate Joe.

Over at Team Incest, we learn that Lillee's team of mercs are still tracing Joe's location and that floppy haired twin isn't fully on board with her revenge plot - but a quick pep talk with the term "Man up" sweeps all this under the rug:

Joe learns that MC Robert spotted Hardy at the college and that he is probably the one who tried to kill him.And instead of taking Emma and the Hypemans advice to flee, Joe decides that he wants Hardy captured - the interesting thing about this is the fact that Joe seems to have slightly turned against Emma. But is this because of Mandy or Hardy turning up?

Team Rogue are having a conversation about Westons feelings which gets interrupted by information on Lili's possible whereabouts.

Hardy decides to let himself get captured - and the henchman who he had a gunpoint doesn't find this suspicious at all and even quips "We got you bitch!" - PEOPLE THIS DUMB DESERVE DEATH BY HARDY!

Team Rogue arrive too late to Lilleys hideout, but manage to get a lead when they discover one of the merc's she hired has rented a car.

Joe and Ryan have a chat, where Joe lays out his motivation and some banter is exchanged - I've said this before, but Hardy really is at his best when he is casually chatting with killers, and this scene reminds me of when he was captured in season 1 by Emma and her 2 lovers.

Going against the FBI's advice, the Pastor decides to hold a press conference and say a prayer on TV. While this is happening, Joe forces the Pastors son to kill Courtney (at gunpoint).

Team Rogue have traced the GPS of the mercs car and are ready to roll.

The mercs have found Korban and proceed to the compound - but they have been spotted on security cameras and Joe flees, (but leaves Hardy alive).

A few moments later the mercs arrive and begin killing Korbanites.

Hardy takes this as his cue to escape and kills 3 mercs within 20 seconds of getting loose.

He then catches up with the lead merc and informs him that his entire team is dead - which means at least 3 others died off screen, and its probably safe to assume Hardy killed them because of the way Hardy let him know the rest of his team is dead.

The FBI turn up just as Hardy has finished his massacre, at which point Weston decides to go rogue on Team Rogue and go after Lily on his own - ROGUE STYLE!!!

Carrie Cook delivers Claires message to Joe, (after being threatened with the loss of a scoop), and he is suitably dumbfounded by it.

The episode ends when Mike catches up with Lilly and kills her:

TEAM ROGUE RULZ!!
80 Comments
Comments (80)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Hey gang sorry I'm late to the party, Grumpy I need to thank you for this review! It gave me a much needed laugh, for my very sad week! Anyway....
So many great moments in this episode! The hug offer and rejection. Lilly's (liked your spellings above) team mowing down the red coats, Claire being Claire....
Loved the Joe and Hardy scenes! We've all said that the show needs more of these! It truly is a bright spot when those two can banter! Team TripleBunk might actually be headed for some trouble. I thought Joe was going to stab Robert, I would have been sad. I really want Emma to turn on Joe. If I were her I would have just snapped and stabbed Hardy right before the escape. I'm sure Joe would have snapped in return.
Weston killing Lilly......I actually really enjoyed her so bummed he killed her because I wanted a pyscho showed down between her and Joe. The twins are going to cry A LOT and then they will try and avenge her. Weston has crossed a line, not sure he is going to survive his decision but this being The Following I'm sure it all work out with post traumatic sex and hugs.
More+
Flag
I'm glad it cheered you up
Flag
Why didnt Joe wear one of his sexy bathrobes when he was on stage?

I just wanna say it again: CLAIRE GO AWAY
omg she makes me swear and scream at the tv..seriously can she please just get killed. When she looked at the reporter woman saying: biitch please Im doing it for my son, i laughed - god she is so stupid. And everybody knows it haha...I hope they have some drinks after "work" and dont invite her
Flag
or they invite her for drinks, get her hammered and then drop her off in the wilderness - unfortunately she always makes her way home....unharmed
Flag
First of all, i was sooooooo happy that the wining and annoying Claire was dead...now the bitch is back and annoying then ever..Why the hell would she come out of her hiding place and seek out Joe, Why?????
Ok, beside that...this epiosde was AWESOME! loved the mindgames...
poor Preston, daddy's son killed the poor red riding hood..what will his daddy say about that...
Then Ryan..for a moment i thought he is going to save the hole people, but he didn't and probably they are the only survivors on the camp, because they didn't believe in Joe and they were right...hahaha what a irony..
Mike Mike Mike...you very bad boy...why did you go and shoot Lilith..i mean don't get me wrong...glad that she is a goner, she had some serious issues...and her twins, they are even more crazy...!! Wonder what will happen, when they find out Mommy is dead???
Loved the whole Joe and Ryann talk...it sounded so casual, but if you listened carefully there were so much crazy in it...unbelievable..!!
Just loving this season...hope Claire dies this season fo real...hihih
Flag
I totally forgot about the hole people
Flag
Oops! I've totally forgotten what I was going to say because I am Lol'ing so hard at this review - still fully erect? priceless! Not to mention the henchman & cunning plan clips. Seriously dude your reviewsARE better than the actual show!

When the journalist who has no scruples about getting an alcoholic drunk and sleeping with him to get a story tells you that going on air is a bad idea than you really should listen...

Joe doesn't kill Clare soon, I might. Why oh why did the writers bring her back? Her character serves no purpose whatsoever except as a cockblock.
It's especially painful to see Clare still breathing when the writers keep killing off interesting characters in pointless ways - First Mandy then Lily? WTF?? Where is my freakin' Lily vs Joe showdown????

Ryan really can't lecture Mike about killing - does Mike have to have lost a certain number of people before he gets a license to kill like Ryan's? Having said that Mike DOES seem to go off the deep end rather quickly - I always thought that the way he went psycho on Luke seemed a bit out of place for the character - he and Deborah weren't lovers and Luke and the rest of the Benetton tribe had nothing to do with her death.
More+
Flag
"Where is my freakin' Lily vs Joe showdown????" - I'm now pinning my hopes on a Joe vs. Twin, (either one would be fine), showdown for Mandy.
Lily's death was a bit too merciful for my liking - Weston can't even get revenge properly!
Flag
For me, that part "if I die you die", seemed to be taken straight from Harry Potter and a sage "prophecy" - "either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives". Ohh, such a cliche :)
Flag
is is just me or Has Purefoy’s performance gotten much worse?
He seems to be playing it too campy.
I can just see him muttering “Fat paycheck, no big screen options” to himself.
but I'll bet Connie Nielsen has some juicy movie offers, and Emma (Valorie Curry) will soon have her own show as sidekick to a cop/fed/NCIS agent.
Flag
By the script, it just seems like Joe is tired or bored
Flag
so am I - not sure which, probably both
Flag
So Ryan gives himself up because he can't kill the Corben guards, but manages to kill Lilly's team of mercs, then the FBI show up but oh no, there's two entrances and they forget to send people in the back. Terrible.
Flag
Not only that, but the guard he had at gunpoint started acting cocky when gave himself up.
Flag
Now that I fully embrace the silliness of the show, I don't feel surprised at all seeing how Ryan Hardy thinks he is superman on the show.

He really acted as if he knows he is the star of a TV show and would not be killed off and the most funny of all is the writers proving him right.

Still the show really relies on the charisma of the two main leads. Joe and Hardy one scene together was the best of this season 13 episodes.

Flag
Yeah, it needs more of that kind of banter
Flag
Ugh, this "show".
What was Claire's plan and to what end? To confuse Joe so much that he fucks up his big plan of his? Why how when what... Forget it.
Was good to see Bob Kyle Mike reasoning with Lilly at the end.
Flag
"Why how when what..." - IS EXACTLY THE REACTION SHE WANTS FROM JOE!!!
Flag
By the way followers just seen new trailer ohh joe and biebers die hard in the church Hardy in tow. Also with a twist as well fingers crossed goat plus beard is back with a vengance!
Flag

Flag
awww, they have so much in common....
Flag
This was episode reminded me a bit like expendables mixed with the wicker man (Nicolas Cage version) are the FBI that stupid storming a remote cult fortress with no air support. I did laugh at the Hardy and Joe bromance so touching I did think at one point Joe was going to do footloose just just torture Hardy even more or get fat one to sit on him LOL

I see claire cockblocker is coming up with brilliant ideas to get Joe maybe she can help Rick on the walking dead get out of that cart. So does that mean either Hardy a crap shot or Joe has a BulletProof Robe . I am not sure weather Lilly dead in these series usually when a baddie buys it more Spoiler memorable like Joffery GOT.
When is poor mike getting on with Hardy niece I mean poor guy lost his dad has run around on endless chases with Hardy and can't get any! Two more episodes of this nonsense to go I have submitted my ideas to network for the next thrilling season (Alien Abductees, Mormons, Glee Junkies )
Flag
I can see Weston and Max hooking up after the twins are killed
Flag
we need the twins to be the page boys aww how romantic lol
Flag
or they get so turned on by killing the twins that they start humping on their bodies
Flag
then play footloose music over scene how apt
Flag
I hope she does turn on Joe. she saw what happened with the first cult, and she is smart so there is no excuse. It's like watching Dr Evil and Scott all over again....
Flag
"It's like watching Dr Evil and Scott all over again...." = I LOVE THIS IDEA!!!
Flag
I've noticed Emma giving Joe a lot of side eye too - but I can't see her surviving if she turns on him
Flag
I think as much as she's sceptical of some of his actions she'll never turn on him I think she'd sooner just leave.
Flag
So did the FBI get that idea to track the rental car from the worst episode of Breaking Bad? The one where Hank and Pinkman trick Walt the genius into leading them right to his money with a fake cell phone picture and a open phone line?
Flag
This must be the first Breaking Bad/ The Following comparison ever!
Flag
Well that episode did have Walt taking a stupid turn that only a Following character would make.
Flag
I was very happy that Lillee,Lili,Lilley,Lily,Lilly seemed to be killed as I was worried she was going to survive the season and be next years protagonist,but you can never be sure if someone is actually dead on this show so we will have to wait and see.

If there is another season CBS and Fox should combine The Following and Under the Dome into one show where Joe and his cohorts somehow find a way into the dome where they team up with Big Jim and Junior.Naturally Ryan and the rogue gang could track them down and gain entrance to the dome where they could team with their incompetent equals in sheriff Linda and Barbie.These two writing staffs together would produce some mind numbing scripts for Following Under the Dome.
Flag
Woah!!! hold up there! I object to comparing The Following to The Dome. Yes The Following is a bit shit but it's not THAT shit! At least it is entertaining which is more than can be said for The Dome. (although it WOULD be funny to see JC and the crew teaming up with Junior and Big Jim)
Flag
Your objection is duly noted!!!
Flag
LOL - Following and UTD sure belongs to the same category but I kind of like Lily ! Joe is getting boring. Ha !
Flag
Just have Raylan and Boyd find their way into/under the Dome and you got the whole Natalie Zea trifecta.
Flag
"Lillee,Lili,Lilley,Lily,Lilly" - so glad someone noticed that ;-)
Flag
"TEAM ROGUE RULZ!!!!"

Yeah, but then they let Claire get hold of Ryan's phone after agreeing not to let Claire have any phones or Internet access.

TEAM ROGUE SUX!!!!

Flag
Hardy may have several phones hidden around the house, ROGUE STYLE!!

TEAM ROGUES PREPAREDNESS RULZ!!!
Flag
Yeah, but that means Claire is smarter at finding them than Max and Mike combined.

What the heck does Claire do for a living, anyway? Whatever it is, it seems to qualify her to be smarter than an FBI agent and a NY cop.
Flag
Yeah, but that means Claire is smarter at finding them than Max and Mike combined. - not a stretch.

What the heck does Claire do for a living, anyway? Whatever it is, it seems to qualify her to be smarter than an FBI agent and a NY cop. - smarter than an FBI agent and a NY cop on The Following at least
Flag
As a student of TV credits, one thing I found amusing was the presence of Megan Martin. She used to work on Cult (yeah, still working on that Cult vs. Following article).

Then she popped up on here a few weeks ago as an "Executive Consultant."

Then this week she was promoted to Consulting Producer, and she got to write the episode. Which I thought was okay if for no other reason than a) the banter between Joe and Ryan was amusing, and b) they had the balls to off Lily.

But two questions:

1) Who is the mysterious Megan Martin, and what blackmail photos does she have on Kevin Williamson that she has risen so rapidly in the ranks?

2) Ms. Martin makes the fourth Consulting Producer on the show. What the hell are they all consulting about? None of them seem to know anything about FBI competency.

"These producers are former executive or possibly co-executive producers, or in rare cases directors, who no longer work on the show that much. They are called upon to assist the writers, sometimes specializing in a particular subject."

But Ms. Martin was never one of these, and clearly she's heavily involved in the show. Was Kevin Williamson having sex with a farm animal and Ms. Martin just happened to wander by and take photos?
More+
Flag

Maybe she is just a modest working horse. Maybe she has some nasty pics of Kevin Williamson.
Or maybe it's something even darker... like being a Canadian vampire, a Canapire...
Flag
"Canapire" = new on The CW this fall
Flag
the Canapire always apologizes before and after they bite you; then sign you up for National Health care, and serve you pancakes and maple syrup to rebuild your blood strength

Flag
So Megan Martins twist on the vampire genre...is they're really nice? I did not see that coming
Flag
Its never a good sign when job titles change in the credits - it usually signals a shift in creative direction for the show.
This sounds a lot like studio interference, and may have something to do with season 3, - as Williamson has a pilot at CBS, he may not be around, so The Following may be trying out new showrunners
Flag
Williamson has a pilot at CBS? What show? I don't know if I should be happy if he is going to my favorite network.
Flag
forgot to mention, here are some more details from Deadline
Flag
OMG. It has my favorite Nikita Maggie Q in it. Now I have to watch another Williamson show. He cannot tell a story but he sure know how to cast.
Flag
its untitled at the moment (or the title is unconfirmed) but here is the imdb page
Flag
Isn't "creative direction" an oxymoron on The Following?
Flag
If they have a new "creative direction" each week, it may explain the characters apparent confusion
Flag
Yeah, but Megan Martin as far as I can tell is kind of a non-entity. Does one of a dozen producers on Cult really qualify you to be a showrunner?
Flag
No, but everyone must start somewhere
Flag
Follow this Show
Members