The Following

Monday 9:00 PM on FOX Premiered Jan 21, 2013 In Season

Gislef

The Following Fan Reviews (225)

7.1
  • Beavis and Butthead would make better FBI agents.

SPOILER ALERT!!

Show portrays the cops and FBI agents as morons who don't even search Joe after he kills a corrupt prison guard. Oh wait thats not a spoiler alert thats every episode pretty much. Now they got some computer genius who can hack into everything on the planet and of course is always one step away from getting caught This is the dumbest show on TV right now besides the dancing/singing shows. Why keep watching some may ask? I don't have cable and this is one of the few channels I do have. FU fox lol
  • Ryan , Ryan , Ryan

The only suspense left on this show is trying to guess how many times they are going to say Ryan. We set an over/under every week. They are kind of lagging behind on the Ryan's this season but now that Joe is playing a more prominent part the amount of Ryan's will pick up , all we need now is for Claire to come back , the over/under will have to be set at about 25 if that happens.

A show that started out promisingly is now BAD , it needs to get the axe!
  • gross

disgustingly gross...

season after season and it's every episode with at least 5 brutal slayings - why why why? how is this suspense?

This is just gore

put the nail in the coffin on this lame show already

Bacon has decided money is more important than acting, or maybe he just enjoys his own game (the 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon) as he barely puts in any effort to act and looks like he hasn't even graduated from acting school.

Footloose will look differently to me now as Kevin Bacon has lost all his acting talent to gain $ for this piece of garbage show which doesn't make any sense. Do the writers just let's add three more cult leaders this episode, they and their croonies will kill 50 women/kids, then their croonies will kill these cult leaders and they'll form new ones for next episode - then we'll

sounds to me the writers gave up a long long time ago .... before the show even aired maybe and especially now in Season 3 (really, three seasons of this crap tv?).
  • Fortunately, I thought is it only me?

The first season was great!

The second season was so so!

the third season is boring, horrible, stupid!
  • the writers have really fallen asleep at the wheel here....

Joe Carroll in the first season was a phenomenon, and Lily Grey and her family added an extra element in the second what's going on in this season? No clear plot line, Carroll's getting boring, the FBI are incompetent, legal structure and procedures are all over the place, predictable characters (and plots) and no smart witty dialogue? and then on top of all expect us to believe that the mastermind that created Joe and others much smarter than him is Strauss? who doesn't have the foresight to see how his "best student" would react or is not meticulous enough to have a back up plan for when things go wrong?
  • pffffff

i wanted to complain about the writing on this show but it seems im late to the party ill just agree with the bad soooooo bad
  • Another epic fail for the Federal Booty Inspectors

1.5
    I know people have had issue with the way that police/FBI are portrayed on this show from the start, but I understood from day 1 that this is TV AND ISN"T REAL, so I just went ahead and had fun with it. Until last week's episode.

Upon learning that Joe's mentor is behind everything, Hardy's strategy is to show up when the guy's being transferred to his trial simply to rub it in his face (IE reveal that they know!!!Isn't that important info to keep close to the vest?). So after figuring out Joe's mentor is running the show and that his trial is literally the very next day, it doesn't cross the mind of these elite popo's that maybe the ONLY KEY WITNESS against Joe's mentor might be a target? That's just too much even for a joke. I thought the whole thing was a setup and was waiting for the kiddo's to go into the room and die. Nope instead I'm supposed to believe that even after making the connection with Joe's mentor that 1 crappy protection agent is enough from a pack of serial killers
  • Federal Bureau of Idiots

3.5
    This show portrays the FBI in the worst possible light - they bumble and fumble their way around and never get anything right! why do the 3 main characters always put themselves in dangerous situations without back-up; totally unrealistic. The first season got me hooked but now it has degenerated into predictable and repetitive plot lines. I hope the executives at Fox are reading these reviews and will do something to salvage this show.
  • Unbelievably unbelievable

Pathetic. This is going downhilllllll
  • the failing

Can't believe I've watched this up to the third season if I was a serial killer I wouldn't have the slightest worry about the FBI (F***g Blithering Idiots ) catching me, there are bigger escape artists than harry Houdini in this show, totally unbelievable the writers must think we as incompetent as the fbi. it has spoiled what could have been a really good programme pity (done watching)
  • The Writing Has Gone WAY Down Hill

Instead of maiming potential valuable suspects the writers are making sure they are almost ALWAYS shot dead before they could possibly be held and interrogated for valuable information. The show in 2015 has been on for three episodes and I'm already losing count of the number of shoot-to-kill scenes of valuable suspects. Of course it's all in aid of dragging things on so nothing can possibly be resolved before the current episode commitment to FOX expires. I guess Hardy et al are really, really bad shots. When slice-and-fold-into-a-box boy was aiming a gun at three FBI agents, I guess NONE of them could shoot his hand, or kneecap, or other non-fatal site, because alive it might hasten critical plot information and wrap up that FOX commitment waaaay too soon. What a piece of crap this show has become. I can't decide to give up, or watch it and just mock it weekly. This thing has become visibly laughable and transparent. Oh-my-gosh-the-su-spense-is-kill-ing-me-each-week.
  • follwing from ights flashing and no suprize factor to stopping to watch a vidio instead of goung in

Kevin beacon worst fbi agent ever
  • Sorry....

Will not watch ANYTHING else that Diane Neal is in! I'm not sure why the Following hired this pathetic and ANNOYING actress! :( It's bad enough we have had to suffer with her on both NCIS shows, and so done with that too!
  • All We Need To Change Is The Title Page

There could be eight thousand FBI agents hunting for Joe, but it will ALWAYS wind up with Kevin Bacon going into Joe's hideout by himself (maybe with one agent in tow). He will ALWAYS be captured, the FBI will (finally) arrive, Joe will ALWAYS escape and a mid-level cast member will ALWAYS die.
  • It's worth The FOLLOWING!!!

It's awesomely creepy, smart scripted, with exceptionally unexpected twists and turns! The acting is so strong and so convincing! I can't remember me wishing for a character to die Like Ever - as strong as I did for Joe's followers. Especially Emma... hehehe

The Following is a very, very, very good psychological thriller!
  • It blows my mind...

to think the creator of this show is also responsible for The Vampire Diaries. It's crazy to think that two exact opposites came from the same mind.
  • The Ultimate Movie Review! -- @tss5078

The Following is the Spring sensation that took Fox viewers by storm and led to some of the highest ratings for a mid-season debut in network history. After watching one episode, I could see why this show was so popular, it really is right up my ally, and is easily one of the best written shows on network television.

10 years ago, College professor, Joe Carroll (James Purefoy), was convicted of the murders of 14 young women. He sits on death row, waiting to be executed, when he launches a daring escape. Completely stunned, the . brings in the now retired agent who originally caught him to track him down. Ryan Hardy (Kevin Bacon) is a troubled, lonely man, who just wants to move on with his life and leave all the horrors he's known behind him. Reluctantly, he agrees to find Carroll and to everyone's surprise, does it with ease. As it turns out, getting caught again was all part of Carroll's plan. While in prison, Carroll had spoken with and gotten to know many different people who admire what he did. The charismatic killer has tricked these people into believing that they need to give their lives meaning by being a part of something special, his resurrection. Carroll's getting easily captured by the . was nothing more than a signal to his many followers to begin reeking havoc all over the eastern seaboard. The targets are seemingly anyone Carroll ever interacted with and the acts all meant to torment the man who caught him, Ryan Hardy. With no other choice, Hardy agrees to stay on and try to stop whatever was set in motion, before Carroll's plan can come to fruition.

I know what you're thinking, because I was thinking the same thing. It's a great story for one season, but how in the world can they continue this show after that, without it becoming old and repetitive. It was something I thought a lot about while watching this show, however my doubts may have been premature. The more this show continued, the better the writing got, and if anyone can keep this show interesting and fresh it's this talented cast and crew.

Kevin Bacon has always been a tremendously underrated actor, because for 30 years, he's simply been known as that guy from Footloose. I've seen many of his films and now his new TV show, and I have to tell you this guy is phenomenal. It wasn't just being able to pull of the character of Ryan Hardy, but also the chemistry he had with James Purefoy. Joe Carroll is one of the best villians I've seen since Hannibal Lechter and the chemistry Purefoy has with Bacon, easily rivals that of Hopkins and Foster.

The show is made even stronger by a tremendous support cast of complicated characters, all of whom have their own hidden past and issues that are brought to the table. Movie actor, Shawn Ashmore is terrific as the young agent who wants nothing more than the praise of his idol, Ryan Hardy. The boss is played by Annie Parisse, perhaps best known as . Alex Borgia on Law & Order.

This show really has deep, well developed characters, that you get quickly attached to, and every time you think you know what's coming they throw a curve ball at you. The Following is such a strong story, that is so well written, that it really has the chance of being on the air for years.

Season one is now streaming on Netflix and season two debuts on Fox in January. I really can't wait to get there. Rarely do I watch shows on the air, I prefer to wait for the DVD to avoid the commercials and watch as much or as a little as I want. The Following is different though, because this show was just so amazing to me, that I honestly can't wait to see what season two has in store for me. I am more than willing to sit through the commercials in order to get there that much faster, and I think once you've seen this show, you'll feel the exact same way.
  • boo haters!

I just watched both seasons and i thought it was good ok it did drag a bit with the ryan/joe and at points you were like come on just kill him.... and thank god claire killed emma hated her from start...

what i dont understand about all leaving bad comments if you dont like it then why continue watching why not just stop watching it... i watch a few episodes of 1st season of progs if crap then why bother with the rest if good then great
  • Oh god!!

It just got worse and worse, I really hated the staring bit in the art gallery and the we don't need back up we can do it all by ourselves when going for that guys son at the college, then he goes off to kill Joe all by himself. It just got worse and worse. Its like please I don't want to watch anymore shite!

I want to know why these dire an terrible series get life and others like Tim Roth's "Lie to me" which was loved by millions got killed off in it's prime.
  • medocore

5.5
    Its just one of those shows, dragged out, could easily just have been 1 season
  • So... stupid!!!!

So... stupid!!!!
  • So bad it's painful.

Arguably the worst show I have ever seen, and that's saying a lot.
  • extreme contrast between the 2 seasons

I'm not sure how to rate this show evenly. I'll start by expressing my love for the first season. The brutal cult of the infamous Joe Carroll is introduced with suspense, character developments, and vicious plots in the first season. A year later, all of my high expectations left over from season 1 are concluded with utter disappointment. Season 2 fell off the wagon and lost its' dark appeal found in the previous season. It's not a coincidence that Homeland, consisting of the same circle of writers and directors as The Following, went off the deep end with the newest season the same time that The Following did. It's a shame that a show with such great potential was wrecked by lack of creativity and maintenance of the dark twists and turns we saw previously.
  • Kill off Ryan Hardy

Please for the love of God kill off Ryan Hardy, two seasons is enough of him let the main characters be his neice and Mike and they can go after either Joe or someone new, they do this on the show MI5 they get new main people every two years and it stays fresh and worth watching. keep it fresh and alive please don't make it like the show 24 it went on forever I mean how can a man shoot his way out of a building when it's just him against 30 other men.
  • Why aren't RYAN's character evolving

I think the next person who die in this show should be the writer who keeps trying to write the same things over and over again and letting do the Ryan hardy' character do the same selfish mistakes. the writer lets ryan to work for the FBI but he's still on his revenge thing (may be the writer need him to stuck there coz he didn't have any thing more to offer) he's just letting people die coz of his personal things and Ryan's character isn't even progressing with the time or events around him, he's like invulnerable to the atmosphere and time around him. I loved the onething he said in the last episode to mike that "don't be me" but didn't understand how can he say that he should be the one who understands mike coz he's already on the path and mike is just completing his path. i don't think i'd watch the third season (which they already announced) if they didn't offer something incredible. characters should evolve with big and small things happen around them. Let's see what impact courtney's kill have on ryan as she died coz of the rigidity of his character, but if he's as good as joe says he is then i'd love to see him in the next episode with the aftermaths and all this...
  • lseason 2 episode 13 ook in the background at the end

geat ... right at the end of episode 13 , season 2, the is a giant Quonset hut over the shoulder of the fbi agent .. look close... someone is moving around in the background... lol
  • Even the writers are making fun now.

Always too predictable but now they're hiding snide little inside jokes into a 'serious' plotline. Carrol's desciples are on their way to kidnap the tele evangelist's son. The FBI is racing to save him, though racing seems to take long enough to subdue and glue masks to the frat goers faces, at Alpha Beta Omega fraternity. Wonder if that's going to be a bloodbath? Hmm? Alpha Beta Ohmega fraternity??? A-B-O, the human blood type system! I'm just surpprised they didn't find all the party members with their throats cut. Should have called it 'Alpha Beta Ohmega negative'. But in a way, it might keep me watching for inside jokes by some poor writer disgusted with what he has to write for and sliping in passive agressive pranks like that. If it becomes a spoof show, I'll watch another season.
  • keystone cops

Why do I keep watching this awful show. Worst yet record it on dvr. Like some (correction) most of my fellow viewers I keep tuning into this show week after week expecting to see something new, but all I keep getting is the same old BS.

This show makes HS teenagers look better trained, equipped, organized, skilled than any law enforcement agency in the country combined. The way this show is written in my opinion the President should have sent Joe's cult to capture or kill Bin Laden. We wouldn't have lost a chopper outside Bin Laden's compound.

Sad part all of this is that come this Monday my DVR will be set to record this show contributing to FOX ratings for a show that shouldn't be shot, stabbed, mutilated, blown up (not in good way), put out to pasture forever.
  • ryan fails the show

the show is good to a degree but the way ryan breaks the law and has clues handed to him like he is some superman totally screws the show over the writers need a hard kick in the nuts and made to work
  • Terrible Show / Can't Stop Watching

I hate this show. When Joe *spoiler* encourages the killing of the cat I was finally ready to go. But like rubberneckers at a car crash, I couldn't stop looking away. So I still watch it, and I actually am somehow entertained by the sheer stupidity, random violence and horribly flawed ... everything.
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8