The Following

Monday 9:00 PM on FOX Premiered Jan 21, 2013 Returning January 2015

Gislef

The Following Fan Reviews (207)

7.1
  • So... stupid!!!!

So... stupid!!!!
  • So bad it's painful.

Arguably the worst show I have ever seen, and that's saying a lot.
  • extreme contrast between the 2 seasons

I'm not sure how to rate this show evenly. I'll start by expressing my love for the first season. The brutal cult of the infamous Joe Carroll is introduced with suspense, character developments, and vicious plots in the first season. A year later, all of my high expectations left over from season 1 are concluded with utter disappointment. Season 2 fell off the wagon and lost its' dark appeal found in the previous season. It's not a coincidence that Homeland, consisting of the same circle of writers and directors as The Following, went off the deep end with the newest season the same time that The Following did. It's a shame that a show with such great potential was wrecked by lack of creativity and maintenance of the dark twists and turns we saw previously.
  • Kill off Ryan Hardy

Please for the love of God kill off Ryan Hardy, two seasons is enough of him let the main characters be his neice and Mike and they can go after either Joe or someone new, they do this on the show MI5 they get new main people every two years and it stays fresh and worth watching. keep it fresh and alive please don't make it like the show 24 it went on forever I mean how can a man shoot his way out of a building when it's just him against 30 other men.
  • Why aren't RYAN's character evolving

I think the next person who die in this show should be the writer who keeps trying to write the same things over and over again and letting do the Ryan hardy' character do the same selfish mistakes. the writer lets ryan to work for the FBI but he's still on his revenge thing (may be the writer need him to stuck there coz he didn't have any thing more to offer) he's just letting people die coz of his personal things and Ryan's character isn't even progressing with the time or events around him, he's like invulnerable to the atmosphere and time around him. I loved the onething he said in the last episode to mike that "don't be me" but didn't understand how can he say that he should be the one who understands mike coz he's already on the path and mike is just completing his path. i don't think i'd watch the third season (which they already announced) if they didn't offer something incredible. characters should evolve with big and small things happen around them. Let's see what impact courtney's kill have on ryan as she died coz of the rigidity of his character, but if he's as good as joe says he is then i'd love to see him in the next episode with the aftermaths and all this...
  • lseason 2 episode 13 ook in the background at the end

geat ... right at the end of episode 13 , season 2, the is a giant Quonset hut over the shoulder of the fbi agent .. look close... someone is moving around in the background... lol
  • Even the writers are making fun now.

Always too predictable but now they're hiding snide little inside jokes into a 'serious' plotline. Carrol's desciples are on their way to kidnap the tele evangelist's son. The FBI is racing to save him, though racing seems to take long enough to subdue and glue masks to the frat goers faces, at Alpha Beta Omega fraternity. Wonder if that's going to be a bloodbath? Hmm? Alpha Beta Ohmega fraternity??? A-B-O, the human blood type system! I'm just surpprised they didn't find all the party members with their throats cut. Should have called it 'Alpha Beta Ohmega negative'. But in a way, it might keep me watching for inside jokes by some poor writer disgusted with what he has to write for and sliping in passive agressive pranks like that. If it becomes a spoof show, I'll watch another season.
  • keystone cops

Why do I keep watching this awful show. Worst yet record it on dvr. Like some (correction) most of my fellow viewers I keep tuning into this show week after week expecting to see something new, but all I keep getting is the same old BS.

This show makes HS teenagers look better trained, equipped, organized, skilled than any law enforcement agency in the country combined. The way this show is written in my opinion the President should have sent Joe's cult to capture or kill Bin Laden. We wouldn't have lost a chopper outside Bin Laden's compound.

Sad part all of this is that come this Monday my DVR will be set to record this show contributing to FOX ratings for a show that shouldn't be shot, stabbed, mutilated, blown up (not in good way), put out to pasture forever.
  • ryan fails the show

the show is good to a degree but the way ryan breaks the law and has clues handed to him like he is some superman totally screws the show over the writers need a hard kick in the nuts and made to work
  • Terrible Show / Can't Stop Watching

I hate this show. When Joe *spoiler* encourages the killing of the cat I was finally ready to go. But like rubberneckers at a car crash, I couldn't stop looking away. So I still watch it, and I actually am somehow entertained by the sheer stupidity, random violence and horribly flawed ... everything.
  • Love The Following!

The Following is in a category of its own. I thought it was daring, exciting and fun to watch. Haven't seen a show like it before. Can't wait for season 2!

Compared to almost everyone else complaining, at least I like the show & enjoy my time watching it. Why are you all wasting your lives watching a show you think is dumb? And then wasting time complaining about it? To me, that sounds dumb....
  • Missed them by thaaaaaaat much!

God really! I'm with is getting pathetic. Whole episode of wonderfully cleaver criminals outsmarting the pathetic la enforcement agencies of America... Think I am going to start spending more time elsewhere on Mondays!

Spoiler Alert!!! He gets way again at the season just barely.
  • Dumb people - so unrealistic I wanna throw something at the tv

Now how does a stupid cop run the show involving a cult of serial killers for that long of a time frame? How stupid and unrealistic could they possibly make it? Tired of all these shows with a good idea destroying themselves by being so believably unlikely and unrealistic. NONE of that would ever happen - there would be so many police, army swat you name it on top of that to where it would have ended in season 1 episode 3 at the most. Not to mention the news being involved. Kevin Bacon would have been locked up for being so idiotic from the start. SO tired of shows being so unbelievable! Why ruin a good plot by making people out to be soooo ***ed! BLAH! Refusing to watch this anymore no matter how bored I am.
  • boring red people

The last episode was boring. The entire storyline of the religious cult has been boring. I enjoyed the Lilly family but they are almost all dead. The cult people are dumb. The series has gone so far from the Edgar Allan Poe followers that even Joe Carroll doesn't really make sense. I think the creators are winging it.
  • I really enjoyed the fist season

I just finished the first season, and starting to watch the first 6 episodes of the second one

I don't understand all the bad reviews on this show. Personally, I really like the first season, I enjoyed all episodes and didn't felt bored for a second.

If the series was ended with the first season I would be happy, it was really enterteining and had a perfect ending.

I hope the second can be good as the first one.
  • What's going on here?

Like others on here, I wanted to like this show. During the first season, I had to keep pretending I wanted to see the next episode. The commercials and promotional art and cast and everything makes it look really cool, but you watch it and "meh".

Their marketing pulled me into the 2nd season the same way. I figured, "Ok, they've laid the ground work, now things are going to start to get interesting!" So far "meh".

The problem is: The cult is just so uninteresting. Why are they doing all of this? Why do they worship Joe so much? Because of EDGAR ALLEN POE?! Seriously?! Edgar Allen Poe is the guy that the goth kids (trying to be both intellectual AND dark) read in high school because he smoked opium, and his stories are supposed to be creepy, but in reality, his stories are just kinda "meh".

Also, could the producers please cast somebody in the cult who's NOT a freakin' up-and-coming runway model?! TV does this all the time, I know, but in this show, it's ridiculous. Oh, and not only are they all physically beautiful people, they're also physically invincible - every 90lb. girl and 145lb. guy in the cult can beat up and murder pretty much anybody anytime. If only they had this super-strength when they were kids, they wouldn't have suffered the childhood abuse (or whatever other idiotic backstory they have) that led them to join Joe's cult to begin with!

I WISH there was more to this story than a group of beautiful people blindly "following" Joe (another beautiful person) because Joe likes Edgar Allen Poe. I keep expecting something more meaningful to be revealed, but nearly halfway through season 2, it's STILL just a group of beautiful people blindly "following" Joe (another beautiful person) because Joe likes Edgar Allen Poe.

I wish Chris Carter did this show. He'd have made it really interesting. Remember "Millennium"? That show was DARK.

• Time to Say Goodbye!

2.5
    Really enjoyed the show until this season (Feb 2014). It should have ended with the killing of Joe, not a staged killing. Say goodbye Joe, wrap it up and end the series.

It has become nothing more than what another rater says - .

"Capture, release, capture, release, stab-stab-stab, capture and release. That's the whole show. We would be in a world of crap if the FBI and police were really as stupid as this show portrays them to be. "Same old" week after week.
  • Horrible!!!

1.5
    I wanted to like this show. I started watching it on Netflix. By episode 4 I couldn't believe how UNbelievable it is. Capture, release, capture, release, stab-stab-stab, capture and release. That's the whole show. We would be in a world of crap if the FBI and police were really as stupid as this show portrays them to be. There are so many careless things the "victims" do in this show, you will seriously get mad! It had promise, but is just far too unbelievable!
  • Soap Meets Horror

It looks like the writers changed channels between a soap opera and Scream constanly - what a pitty!
  • He keeps on ticking even after taking a lickin

Well, I had hoped this season would be better. While I like Kevin Bacon all fit and running mini marathons, isn't his character supposed to have been shot through the heart? It should be pretty impossible without a heart transplant to be able to run, or even go very far at a fast walk. Not to mention getting hit by the car and barely getting bruised by it. Ryan is a lot like the eveready bunny, indestructible it seems just like Joe.

• Laughable - The Following

First, the show stopped 47 minutes in leaving the viewer with 13 minutes of horrific commercials. Second, Mike is now 5 inches taller than Ryan. Third, kill Emma off or be creative. Have her "reform" her ways and help the cause. Fourth, the twins are plain weird. Not scary, not crazy, just strange. Lastly, get new writers. Kevin Bacon has to be embarrassed which is probably why the other decent actors asked, I assume, to be killed off.
  • The FBI and Cops must be embarrassed

I started watching this show last year because of how much it was advertised and because I (usually) like Kevin Bacon. Part way through the season I swore I would stop watching it because of just how ridiculous it was. Then it became fun to watch because it was so bad. It really seemed that the writers gave up after the 4th or 5th episode.

I'm hoping it becomes a good show this year but I'm not holding my breath.
  • Horrible writing

Horrible writing. Horrible writing. And a few excessively annoying characters like Emma Hill. The entire story is stupid. You see overacting and a lot of ridiculous moves. Just think of all the money that got wasted on this one.
  • utterly ridiculous premise

a show where they portray the good guys as total idiots and the bad guys win most of the time. for some reason writers for these types of shows lack creativity to the point that they just do things to piss off viewers. im sorry but thats not good writing. for some reason though americans eat that shit up, given the shows average score and how much people like shows like game of thrones. disappointing but not surprising.

in regards to the whole don't want to catch the bad guy in the first episode: i get that. but you just pointed out the biggest problem with the whole show: there is only 1 bad guy, which leads to ridiculous episodes so they can keep it interesting. the whole premise of season 2 is ridiculous. i don't care if it's a tv show it has to have at least an iota of realism.
  • I loved this TV show

I found it on Netflix and thought it was a great show. I'm such a Kevin Bacon fan anyway
  • Seriously?

Personally I enjoy The Following. Maybe it's because I like serial killers & am a bit twisted who knows. I also apparently don't take my television so seriously that I have to pick it apart. It's fiction. Could someone start a serial killer cult where you never knew who all the followers were? Honestly this could be a slight possiblity. People are crazy. That being said it's a TELEVISION SHOW. If they caught the bad guys in the 1st episode the show would be over.
  • Just such a ridiculous premise

I'm not really a fan of serial killer fiction. Sure, I liked Silence of the Lambs, but overall I can do without these. So I will admit this show is a tough sell for me.

That being said, there was some good stuff in the first episode. The show had a gritty, intense quality, and Bacon was properly angsty.

But the premise is so dumb. If I'm not a fan of serial killers, I'm even less of a fan of serial killers whose talents go beyond anything imaginable in the real world. I hated the episodes of Bones in which a serial killer hacker can basically hack into the Pentagon using a paper clip and a tube of toothpaste. But this is a show centered around the idea that a convicted killer can not only acquire groupies but can both gain an insane Manson-style cult and have these people appear normal and work their way into every aspect of society.

It's just too stupid. While the unpleasantness of gory killings and horror put me off, it was the stupidity that made me decide one episode was enough.
  • Absolutely disappointing

I read that Kevin Bacon waited 4 years for a should have waited a little longer. The show is ridiculous. Never before has a team on a cop or FBI show been so inept. Furthermore the plot is so far fetched it is mind boggling. The riting is poor, the direction is poor and Kevin Bacon has 2 personslities which is poor character development. I was expecting something close to the quality of The a shame. Worst worst part of the show is the horrible actress who plays Emma. In a nutshell, i will not be a part of the following of this inane waste of time.
  • Strong start but became weak

I really liked the show in the first episodes but after episode 10 it started to loose points. Maybe they should end it in E15 and get it over with !!
    Just watched 1st 6 eps. Didn't expect much, and wasn't disappointed. The cops must all be Reno 911 rejects - they weren't the brightest bulbs, but at least they didn't get themselves killed every 5 minutes. Bacon's wife would have wrapped up the case in one ep and still had plenty of time to feed the cat. And how can poor Natalie Zea justify leaving Raylan Givens for this pathetic wretch? Carroll is supposed to be an evil mastermind, but the half-witted schmuck who choked himself in the hospital would be more than a match for these bumblers. In a slasher movie they'd be the ones going out in the woods alone at midnight in a flimsy nightgown to see what's making that terrifying noise...