The Following

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Feb 25, 2013 on FOX

7.6
  • Excellent Start, Dreadful (To Put It Lightly) Ending

5.5
    The first thirty-some-odd minutes featured what I thought to be superb acting, writing, and directing, and we learned a lot about allow the characters. The story arc was developing nicely, and Hardy's taunting of Jacob, Paul, and Emma had the perfect balance between comedy and action. The FBI actually used real techniques, rather than being the idiots that they've been across much of the series, and I thought the flashbacks were more focused, focussing on only two scenarios, rather than the usual 5 or more. Half way in, I was thinking, this ending is going to be epic.

But the ending was far from epic. Things went downhill so fast. The FBI actually backs off a little bit, even though there's no logical reason for them to do so. Paul and Jacob set down another rope and a knife just feet away from Hardy, and Hardy stands up and grabs the rope and knife, yelling "don't shoot" and sitting back down shortly after. Apparently neither of them found that suspicious, because they didn't pat him down or even notice that the knife was missing. Claire's captor (forgot his name) leaves the keys on his chair as he makes a phone call, and Claire grabs them and runs. But she can't figure out how to unlock the door. I mean, come on.

Anyway, her captor figures it out, but rather than running after her, he slowly walks towards her, and when she finally manages to unlock the door, rather than trying to run, she decides to hide (which as you may recall is the same brilliant tactic that Megan used when Jacob cut her free in episode 4. So Claire is taken back into the room, and her captor kisses her. He then apologizes and begins to furiously bash his head against a pole. Then they cut to commercial break. When we saw this, my wife and I broke out laughing hysterically because it was just so outrageous.

Later, Emma runs off with Joey and Hardy, seeing his chance, breaks free, and stabs Paul before moving on to Jacob. And Hardy lets Megan go. But then the FBI decides to infiltrate the house, and two FBI agents hold Jacob and Paul at gunpoint. Then two other FBI agents (also Joe's followers) go in, guns ablazing and save the day for Paul and Jacob. Ryan catches up with Emma, as does his fellow FBI-man and a female local cop. And what do you know? The girl's a follower, too. Whoopdy-doo! There's a shock, and it proves that just about everybody in the world is a follower, the local police department does not perform very sufficient background checks, and that a beautifully written episode of The Following is too good to be true.

Then Hrdy shoots the female cop, and Joey for some reason willingly goes with Emma and they enter a car. Hardy doesn't think to shoot the tires and they get away. I thought the FBI had the place surrounded, but I guess not. And why didn't anybody go after them? Whatever. But then, Jacob and Paul get away through a different part of the property, and the FBI does nothing to try to stop them either. Then the flashbacks reveal that Annie Parisse's parents are mad at her for not allowing herself to be raped. And that's pretty much it. Oh, wait. The FBI finds out where Claire is being held, and they enter. Her captor throws a smoke grenade, runs off, and the FBI so eloquently states, "He's And that's the end of that and another disappointing episode.

But hey, next week's preview looks promising. Oh, never mind, it's about Carroll being transferred due to abuse. Because hey, that certainly warrants 60 minutes of television.

Additional Notes:

1. So these two episodes basically didn't happen. Because everything that happened, has just unhappened, with the exceptions of some minor characters' deaths.

2. How does a girl who lives in a cult where parents make their children be raped end up to get a job as a lead investigator in the FBI?

3. The first 34 minutes of this were excellent, and I sincerely wish I would have stopped watching at that point. Because the ending, quite frankly, sucked.