The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air

Burnin' Down the House

Aired Monday 8:00 PM Sep 18, 1995 on NBC

• This episode has almost all what it takes to be a smash hit, but the scene about the flambé disaster wasn't believable enough.

Acting was good and the plot was excellent: Phillip invites an influential judge to dinner but Will burns the kitchen down while trying to cook a flambé. The way Will, Ashley and Hilary try to keep Phillip from knowing about the kitchen disaster is hilarious and I also found cool the side story of Carlton's odd journey back home.

What kept me from giving an A grade to this episode was that they missed points during the fire scene because it could've been more believable. If they had to have a fire extinguisher there (probably for safety precautions in case the scene went wrong in real life), they could've shown Will attempting to use the extinguisher, but not being able to get the thing to work. Also, how did the fire managed to spread evenly throughout the whole kitchen area, including the dinner table, yet the fire didn't spread past the kitchen - not a single burn mark in the living room. I'd expect the fire to torch the stove counter and the nearby cabinets and fridge in the back, but not to go all the way throughout the kitchen.