The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air

'Twas the Night Before Christening

Aired Monday 8:00 PM Dec 20, 1993 on NBC

• Christmas Show #3

This was a good episode but it lost some luster with the debut of Season 5. It was interesting to see in the "future" (the episode was in 1993 the future was 1998). One part of this episode that I liked was the future was too futuristic like the Jetsons. It was classic Will when he got over in his head when he said he got Boyz II Men. I did wonder why it was never mentioned that Will knew them. While I am not a fan of the band, I do like their voices. I liked that you got to see a couple of their performances. You felt for Will when he found out everyone got Nicky a great gift. You also felt sorry for Geoffrey in this episode. The treatment he got was a little mean but not over the line. I found it funny that Hilary and two of Viv's sisters wore the same outfit. The ending was really sweet.
  • ’Twas the Night Before Christening

If people ever ask why I enjoy the Fresh Prince of Bel Air, I’d show this episode among others to prove how family and comedy mix well in the show, and although the Boyz II Men songs went a little too long in the recording studio and christening without a joke, they do serve a purpose, one that Will had to steal and wear Carlton’s prized Santa costume to ask the band, Carlton’s overreaction being priceless for a college student.

The way it works in a flashback from four years in the future (or now, 8 years in the past talking about 12 years in the past) was quite well set up and gives us opportunity to see Nicky will grow up to be as bossy as Hillary to Geoffrey, as curious as Carlton and a few other character traits from the rest of the family, and we also see Phil survived at least that long after his heart problems.

Overall, this episode is very entertaining with quite a few good twists.