The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air

Where There's a Will, There's a Way (1)

Aired Monday 8:00 PM Sep 20, 1993 on NBC

• Season 4 Part one

Will and Carlton are off to college. I like that they are roommates. This is something that would not happen even a couple years ago. They are kind of like an odd couple. It was enjoyable how Carlton was acting at the party. On a small note Michael Rapport is in the party. He was in some shows I liked. (Friends, Phoebee's boyfriend who was a cop and one of the main credits on Boston Public) I also like that Carlton at least for now finds a women. The fact that the women is someone from Will's past makes it even better. The part with Phillp was also funny. I really liked how he tried to spend time with his kids. One of my favorite parts is when Jazz and came in and looked at Viv and asked if the pregnancy changed her. The look that Will gave to the camera was priceless. It was a subtle way saying a new actress is playing her. Other shows would not do that. Another reason this episode was good was that it was two parts. If this was Season 3, it might have been done in one part and seemed rushed. (On the DVD and syndication it's done in two parts, originally in the air it was an hour episode.) Remember Hilary in a wedding dress.

This was a great way to start Season 4.
  • Where There’s a Will, There’s a Way (1)

The first episode of the fourth season shows Will off to a fresh (excuse the pun) start as the show continues to the college years which also opens up a lot of plots that will entertain viewers for the last half of the series (seasons 4, 5 and 6) and this episode shows Will and Carlton living away from the Banks, which won’t last many episodes, but also shows the characters are all the same as they used to be, though as Jazz points out, having the baby really changed Vivian’s look and while the new actor doesn’t hold a candle to the previous Vivian, she still fits in quite well and the Fresh Prince of Bel Air proves to be as entertaining as ever in the fourth season opener. Now that was a long sentence!
  • Will and Carlton go to college.

7.8
    The 2nd Aunt Vivian was just horrible. I understand that actors/actresses may not want to stay on for the entire run of a show, but the 2nd Vivian could have at least acted somewhat like the 1st Vivian. Aunt Vivian played by Janet Hubert-Whitten was a strong-willed yet loving mom who always stood her ground. Vivian #1 was portrayed as the voice of reason and the backbone of the family and was much more spirited and interesting. Vivian #2 was incredibly submissive and had a very small role in her children's lives. Vivian #1 was actually a source of humor, while Vivian #2 had all the wit and charm of that lamp that sits on the Banks' endtable. She even allowed Hilary to pose in Playboy, something Phillip and Vivian #1 would strongly disapprove of. One of the largest plot holes of The Fresh Prince of Bel-air is Phillip's interest in politics. When Phillip ran for Supreme Court Judge, Vivian #1 supported him because it made him happy. When Phillip runs for governor, Vivian #2 moves out of the house and considers a divorce, partially because he lied but also because of her inexplicable and newfound hatred of politics. This was most likely an attempt to recapture the assertive characteristics of the first Vivian; it failed miserably. I don't think The Fresh Prince of Bel-air ever really jumped the shark, but if I had to choose a point, I'd say it was when Daphne Maxwell Reid replaced Janet Hubert-Whitten as Aunt Vivian.
  • everything will smith or fresh prince of bel air is 10 out of 10

boy oh boy oh boy was this episode one of the better ones. I loved cartons bird suit. I liked it also when those mean bullies took a picture and tv from Will and Carltens apartment. And how Will looked when he got the stuff back. The end was so funny when jackie jumps into Wills arms