The Fugitive (1963)

The Girl from Little Egypt

Aired Unknown Dec 24, 1963 on ABC

• The night of the murder...

"The Fugitive" gets almost halfway through its first season before showing us the events that set the series in motion - Helen Kimble's murder and Dr. Kimble's trial. The framing device for the flashback isn't the greatest, and as a result we're saddled with a pretty poor regular story, but "Girl from Little Egypt" is a classic because it fills in so much of the backstory, and it offers us the first glimpse of the elusive One-Armed Man.

I was surprised that the writers don't give us a rosy picture of a couple so much in love with Richard and Helen Kimble (a major difference between the TV show and the movie). Helen is bitter and angry over the loss of their child and her ability to have more children - their regular fights do a lot to point the finger at Dr. Kimble when her body is found. David Janssen has some of his finest moments in the series in this episode - watch him try one last time to declare his innocence before his sentence is handed down.

The problem with the episode is the set-up: Kimble is hit by a car driven by a stewardess who has just discovered her boyfriend is a married man. The rest of the episode deals with Kimble helping her boost her self-esteem while dodging the questions of the boyfriend. We do get to see Jerry Paris of "The Dick Van Dyke Show" as a homicide cop (!) but beyond that, this set-up is one of the worst from Season 1. Ruth, Kimble's benefactor, is so spineless and whiney that you almost wish Kimble would leave her alone. The final showdown at the party lacks any kind of drama, because we don't really care about what happens to Ruth - she's just holding Kimble up until he can get on the road again.