The Gates Forums

ABC (ended 2010)

1.13, "Moving Day," Official Discussion, *spoilers*

amaryllis88

[1]Sep 16, 2010
    • level: 20

Welcome to the second hour of the 2 hour season finale of The Gates. This episode airs Sunday, September 19, at 9 p.m. Central / 10 p.m. Eastern on ABC.

"After Vanessa and Frank's deaths, the Monohans make plans to move from The Gates. Their plans are interrupted when Charlie runs away with Andie.Brett then goes off in search of Andie before her Succubus side comes out.Dylan and Claire must find Devon before she can use her ability to destroy all the world's vampires.As all these stories converge, the one person no one can trust is the one person the Monohans need most."

Discuss & Enjoy!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

meee223

[2]Sep 19, 2010
    • level: 8

Ok, so what's in the box that Lee/Isabelle keeps? Her heart? Then what is she and how is she alive? I didn't understand.

KingofIPirates

[3]Sep 19, 2010
    • level: 32
    Much like the previous episode the plot was quite dull and insipid throughout. A number of scenes felt forced and except for the ending there was little that generated much interest for my taste.
    meee223 wrote:
    Ok, so what's in the box that Lee/Isabelle keeps? Her heart?
    Seems so.
    meee223 wrote:
    Then what is she and how is she alive?
    Magic I suppose.

JaceHong

[4]Sep 20, 2010
    • level: 1
    Have u guys watched pirates of the Caribbean? Davy Jones' heart being kept in a chest. I think it is the same here... but this is because of her ex which pulled her heart out and cursed her

kanniballl

[5]Sep 20, 2010
    • level: 18

As far as season finales go, it was alright. Not "OMG GREAT" but alright.

There was the whole tense situation about the son going off and doing something stupid, and dying as a result. The werewolf jock that pretty much loaded the gun that killed him. Etc. I wasn't a huge fan of the teen storyline this season but it ended in an alright episode.

The whole poisoning thing was interesting, an anti-vampire WMD floating around that the werewolves want for themselves and that the vampires want destroyed. Add to it that it's in the body of someone that's done a lot for the supernatural community, and it's an interesting and sad outcome.

The evil-Devon thing was interesting, they tried to play it up as her being remorseful and wanting to atone... all for it to culminate in making a powerful supernatural body-guard.

/Sigh... what is it with teenagers on TV.
    - Hmm, let me mess with the medication of the woman I love.
    - Hmm, let me help a fugitive murderess get away.
    - Hmm, let's run away with a girl that only has enough medication to last a few days before she becomes deadly.

There's "rebelling" and then there's "just plain stupid."

Edited on 09/20/2010 5:40am

kanniballl

[6]Sep 20, 2010

meee223 wrote:

In a previous episode, Lee says in a throw-away line that her ex ripped out her heart. I think she was talking to the Chief about why she had a new identity. He probably took it as a metaphor/simile/whatever since he didn't know she was "special" at that point.

In the finale we learn that her ex-boyfriend magically ripped out something from her... so she could never give her heart to another man.

Combine the two, her ex-boyfriend magically ripped out her heart so she could never give it to another man.

Considering she said that Peg helped her, logic dictates that magic is involved. Also, it appears that when the heart is in someone else's possession (like the thief or the other deputy) she starts to... feel something. Pain, weakness, etc. All the viewer sees is that she starts bleeding from the nose. Also, opening the box apparently makes it worse.

So we still don't have hard confirmation on what she is: a zombie, a golem, something else, etc. Only that she can apparently take a gunshot to the chest and walk it off a few minutes later.

Edited on 09/20/2010 5:46am

kraylith

[7]Sep 20, 2010
    • level: 10
    C'mon ... that's a weakass story element...
    Brad calls and calls and she doesn't pick up. Ok.

WHAT ABOUT EFFING SMS!? "Screwed up your medicine, sorry, be careful."

But no.. that would be too logical, too little drama.

She kills Charlie by closing his mouth... what about his nose?

I like the idea of the show and I essentially like the show but damn it has so many weaknesses.

Also... damn I hate Devon.... Not only is she f**king annoying, she's just a weak character. What's her damn motivation now? She seems to have honestly been surprised by Buckley's death. Was she just that stupid to think he'd just go back to her and everything would just be great?
    Wasn't Peg supposed to know some about this stuff? You'd guess she could have picked up on the whole "corrupting" part of the ceremony.

puppybunny1

[8]Sep 20, 2010
    • level: 13

Dr. Peg doesn't play around with "black magic". She wouldn't know it. These are my Charmed memories. Of course, Charlie would come back differently. Dean and Sam came back differently from Supernatural.

Devon did say that Charlie will be different.

Leigh mentioned HooDoo. I first thought that it was part of a Gypsy ritual. Yes, I got this from an episode of Charmed, too.

Ascromortar

[9]Sep 20, 2010
    • level: 10

Sure, this show improved a bit from it's considerably weak and cliche opening episodes, but it's still a long way from being anything very good. This finale was certainly more interesting than a majority of the rest of the season, but was still only 'OK' in my book.

Way, way, way too many plotholes for my taste. There were so many it was simply distracting.

As already mentioned, warning Andie with SMS would instantly have solved that problem, not blocking Charlie's nose while trying to kill him, etc... plus a bunch of rediculously stupid character decisions/motivations (I'm on the run, so I'm going to look up hotels to hide in and then not delete my browser history!). There were so many I can't even recount them all right here off the top of my head.

The biggest one to me though was the Deputy breaking into Lee's house to 'look for answers'. What the holy heck was that about? OK, so he felt a little left out of the loop at the Police Station... so let's go break into my fellow deputy's house to find out what's going on! Then she finds him there with her 'heart in a box' and simply explains everything to him calmly. Uh, WHAT? This guy just broke into your house for no apparent reason and we're not even gonna question how psycho that is!? Right.

I'm sorry, but this is just bad writing. When a show asks you to forget about logic or reason this much to enjoy a story, and asks you to accept way too many contrived and unrealistic choices and situations, it's just not working.

If it even gets a Second season, I'll tune in for the first few eps simply because I enjoyed the 'dark' turn that the very last scene took with "evil Charlie". But I'm on the verge of giving up here, if it hadn't been for that last scene I would already have dumped this.

It doesn't help that so many of the characters are simply unlikeable, either. Especially Devon (as already mentioned). God I just hate her, and it's not because she's the villian. A good villian you should love to hate, and enjoy the performance... I just hate her, period.

I think the shows biggest long term problem would be - if it were to survive beyond this finale - that the whole concept of setting a show about supernaturals in this small gated community is going to get old very fast. You've called the show 'The Gates' so now you HAVE to keep the majority of the story within that place, never to venture outside in any big capacity, never to expand the scope or dimension of the story.

Oh, and this show has the lamest vampires ever. You stake one and they just... lie there and die? Like a human? No exploding into blood and guts (True Blood) or crumbling skeleton(Buffy)? Lame.

ndrose

[10]Sep 20, 2010
    • level: 7
    puppybunny1 wrote:

Dr. Peg doesn't play around with "black magic". She wouldn't know it. These are my Charmed memories. Of course, Charlie would come back differently. Dean and Sam came back differently from Supernatural.

Devon did say that Charlie will be different.

And noone thought to ask in what way would Charlie be different or what price would have to be paid? If the writers had found a way for the Vamps to help Charlie that could have resolved a lot.

puppybunny1

[11]Sep 20, 2010
    • level: 13

We haven's seen how big a community "The Gates" could be. It could be called "The Gates I ", The Gates II", etc.

I like the Radcliffs and their British accent. They need to tie all of the story lines into each other. The guy that plays Charlie has star qualities. I hope that they give him a chance. He reminds me of Rob Pattinson in Harry Potter's the Fire of Goblet.

They need a better team of writers. Since Supernatural is ending in Season 6th, I am sure that the writers would love to have jobs writing for The Gates.

Some of the characters on this show are useless. Marissa Nichols/Sarah had experience in this genre. She came from Charmed. She needs a better storyline.

Devon could be the "devil" in female form. I would love to see more of her. I may be in the minority.

Ben McAllister/Linden Ashby's character needs to be developed more. Ironically, Susan Walters, his wife is on the Vampire Diaries. Everyone loves this show.

I don't think that the show has the technical budget as Buffy's or True Blood's. Even the Vampire Diaries don't make a big deal out of a vampire death.

I am defending the show. I just think that it needs a 2nd season. I would rather watch this than the Bachelor Franchise.

pgsuperfan

[12]Sep 20, 2010
    • level: 25

Is this the end or is THE GATES returning ?

haldrey

[13]Sep 20, 2010
    • level: 22
    Two great finale episodes, specially the last one, it was fantastic. The Gates was sometimes strange but I liked the show from the very beginning. Are we going to have a next season? I hope so, although judging by the way the the season was ended it could go either way. Go into a new season or just leave us to our imagination.

angelust34

[14]Sep 20, 2010
    • level: 9
    I like the Radcliffs and the finale with Charlie, everything else well let just say it could be a lot better, but I hope it gets season 2 to tie up loose ends if nothing else.

jennted

[15]Sep 20, 2010
    • level: 4
    When she got shot she was wearing a vest.

jennted

[16]Sep 20, 2010
    • level: 4
    She called it Voo something magic. So, I'm assuming it is like voodoo. I'm pretty sure she is alive, but her ex wanted it so whoever had her heart had her.

meee223

[17]Sep 20, 2010
    • level: 8

kanniballl wrote:

meee223 wrote:

In a previous episode, Lee says in a throw-away line that her ex ripped out her heart. I think she was talking to the Chief about why she had a new identity. He probably took it as a metaphor/simile/whatever since he didn't know she was "special" at that point.

In the finale we learn that her ex-boyfriend magically ripped out something from her... so she could never give her heart to another man.

Combine the two, her ex-boyfriend magically ripped out her heart so she could never give it to another man.

Considering she said that Peg helped her, logic dictates that magic is involved. Also, it appears that when the heart is in someone else's possession (like the thief or the other deputy) she starts to... feel something. Pain, weakness, etc. All the viewer sees is that she starts bleeding from the nose. Also, opening the box apparently makes it worse.

So we still don't have hard confirmation on what she is: a zombie, a golem, something else, etc. Only that she can apparently take a gunshot to the chest and walk it off a few minutes later.

Hey thanks. I really appreciate your reply and explanation. I enjoy this show and sure hope it comes back at some point. I also want to say that I'm very surprised that Emily already knew what her parents are. That's one very smart young girl!

Edited on 09/20/2010 10:22pm

kanniballl

[18]Mar 8, 2011

jennted wrote:
    When she got shot she was wearing a vest.

It's been a while. I know that's what they told the wife, but I don't recall if it was true or if they just aid that to keep her from asking questions.