The Gates

Pilot

Aired Sunday 10:00 PM Jun 20, 2010 on ABC

7.2
  • Supernatural suburbia

The pilot was pretty good of this show but it had a couple of large problems that I think can be fixed with time. Mitra is gorgeous and her character is very intriguing, the scene with the sink was just enough of a grusome scene for this to classify as horror. The Chief of police and his family are suppose to be average joes but are way too boring. The drama of their past lives offers some interest but their family interacts are pretty banal. Charlie and Andies love story was quite realistic, but seemed pretty boring. I really like the idea of Brett/Lukas and the pack because of the metaphor of needing to find a place to run wild and cause trouble outside of the typical boring life. However there was just too much going on in this episode. Devon/Peg drama seemed interesting but they didn't get to it, Marcus/Leigh had some quirky banter but it didn't really have any purpose. And something about Dylan, was really overplayed.
    All in all a decent show that I will keep watching, but hope it gets better.

Like many of you I saw 2000 commercials for Scoundrels and The Gates while watching TV and thought both looked absolutely dreadful. But a wise man once said that you can't judge a book by the cover, so I decided to give this a shot.

Rhona Mitra is good in the role of the vampire housewife, Claire. Like Morenna Baccarin of V, this is a great casting by ABC with a very different looking woman that is believable as a supernatural phenom. She is the lone star of this show.

But everything else just feels like a cheap attempt to replicate the unprecedented success of HBO's True Blood from the cops to the other vampire characters. Just no originality in anyone else.

The show was not terrible, but it has a long way to go before I consider myself a fan.
  • The first episode of what looks like a promising show

I saw a couple of trailers on You Tube for this and they weren't that great but peaked my interest just enough to check it out and I'm glad I did.

We were introduced to a gated community apparently built to house and protect "people" with supernatural powers,abilities,traits which is when you think about it quite original.

Apparently the 1 rule in the community is you aren't allowed to reveal your true nature or act on it such as "running" with the pack of wolves inside the gates or apparently eating people when you are a vampire should be interesting to see what happens when you break that rule.

The main characters(The Monahans) seem to be the near perfect example of what a happy family should be though it is evident from this episode that their past is anything but perfect.

I'm looking orward to seeing how they fit in and how Charlie adjusts to dating/flirting with a girl who has a jealous werewolf boyfriend.

There are also a couple of witches in town - 1 good 1 bad with some Anakin Skywalker\Obi-Wan Kenobi type stuff going on which should prove fun to watch.

Perhaps my only criticisms of the episode is that Dylan Radcliff the male vampire reminds me way too much of Carlise Cullen but perhaps in time I'll get over that and also there was 1 glaring oversight on behalf of the werewolf Brett - Just before he started to lunge at Charlie he was fully clothed then he morphed into a wolf(or at least started to) but was tackled by his friend who urged him not to do it(use his ability) like that while laying in the grass you could clearly tell he was wearing black underpants - Wouldn't they have disintegrated with the rest of his clothes when he changed? I know it's ABC so they couldn't have him totally naked on screen but still would it have hurt to put a tree or something in the way so it didn't seem like he was wearing indestructible underpants!

Anyway those two things aside it was a great episode and I'm looking forward to some more.
  • Pilot:Hope it Stays a while!

This was a very good pilot. It drew me in from the start and i have never seen a show to have main characters of werwolves, vampires, witches, and something else that has not been reveled yet. It seems like the Gates knows what lies within them and its gonna be cool to see the man characters reveal those secrets. The show had many surprises due to the audience finding out who was who or who was what. I was personally surprised when i see that the sons new like interest is something that they have not said but still supernatural. It was a great pilot and i think it will be a great show to tune into every week.