A The Goldbergs Community
Wednesday 8:30 PM on ABC

Oh don't worry, television fan. There's only like a million more new shows coming out this fall season. Which means a million more shows to sift through to determine what makes your watchlist. But we've got a shortcut for you... these cheat sheets that we call "Hey TV.com, Should I Watch..." where you are the person asking the question and we are the TV.com! Let's start one right now. How about... umm, ABC's new family comedy The Goldbergs? Sure, The Goldbergs!

So tell me about The Goldbergs.

This single-camera comedy is set in the 1980s and follows the Goldberg family, a regular old family of five. One of the youngsters videotapes everyone, and the series is loosely based on the real-life family of creator producer Adam F. Goldberg. That's about it.

Who stars in it?

Dad is played by Jeff Garlin of Curb Your Own Enthusiasm, mom is Wendi McLendon-Covey of Reno 911!, and the kids are Sean Giambrone, Troy Gentile, and Hayley Orrantia. Grandpa is Oscar-nominated George Segal (Retired at 35Just Shoot Me).

When does The Goldbergs premiere?

The Goldbergs debuts Tuesday, September 24 at 9pm on ABC. It has Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. as an impressive lead-in, and it's followed by fellow new family sitcom Trophy Wife. Its competition includes The Voice on NBC, Supernatural on The CW, New Girl on Fox, and NCIS: Los Angeles on CBS.

If I like X, I will like The Goldbergs. Please solve for X.

X = The Wonder Years + the '80s. I was always great at math.

What will I like about The Goldbergs?

Hey, it's the '80s, man! That means Ghostbusters shirts, the hair flip thing girls used to do back then, and The J. Geils Band. So if you're fond of that decade, all of its familiar elements are here. But this is truly a family comedy, and despite all the dysfunction that takes center stage in the pilot, there's some deep familial caring between the characters. That's going to be key moving forward. Troy Gentile is the best of the three kids as older brother Barry, and he's like a mini Jeff Garlin, so when they're on-screen together it's pretty entertaining. And of course Segal is always great in this sort of role.

And what might I not like about it?

Most of the pilot is riddled with uninspired, overly generic sitcom-ness, and whether it's intentional or not, The Goldbergs could actually be mistaken for an '80s sitcom. It's comfortable tone means there's a decided lack of edge, so if you're looking for more, this isn't for you. Also, expect lots of SCREAMING and voiceover work, neither of which help the pilot out that much.

So should I watch it or not?

This isn't going to knock your knee-high striped socks off, but it's not bad. The Goldbergs is the kind of comedy that you'll watch a few episodes of and find to be completely watchable, but at some point you might fall behind and never catch up on it again. With all the new television out there, this is one you can skip if you don't have time for it.

Let's see a trailer, how about?

Okay:

The Goldbergs premieres Tuesday, September 24 at 9pm on ABC.

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/13/2015

Season 2 : Episode 24

23 Comments
Follow this Show
Members
  • 7:00 pm
    60 Minutes
    NEW
    CBS
  • 8:00 pm
    Big Brother