A The Goldbergs Community
Wednesday 8:30 PM on ABC

Oh don't worry, television fan. There's only like a million more new shows coming out this fall season. Which means a million more shows to sift through to determine what makes your watchlist. But we've got a shortcut for you... these cheat sheets that we call "Hey TV.com, Should I Watch..." where you are the person asking the question and we are the TV.com! Let's start one right now. How about... umm, ABC's new family comedy The Goldbergs? Sure, The Goldbergs!

So tell me about The Goldbergs.

This single-camera comedy is set in the 1980s and follows the Goldberg family, a regular old family of five. One of the youngsters videotapes everyone, and the series is loosely based on the real-life family of creator producer Adam F. Goldberg. That's about it.

Who stars in it?

Dad is played by Jeff Garlin of Curb Your Own Enthusiasm, mom is Wendi McLendon-Covey of Reno 911!, and the kids are Sean Giambrone, Troy Gentile, and Hayley Orrantia. Grandpa is Oscar-nominated George Segal (Retired at 35Just Shoot Me).

When does The Goldbergs premiere?

The Goldbergs debuts Tuesday, September 24 at 9pm on ABC. It has Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. as an impressive lead-in, and it's followed by fellow new family sitcom Trophy Wife. Its competition includes The Voice on NBC, Supernatural on The CW, New Girl on Fox, and NCIS: Los Angeles on CBS.

If I like X, I will like The Goldbergs. Please solve for X.

X = The Wonder Years + the '80s. I was always great at math.

What will I like about The Goldbergs?

Hey, it's the '80s, man! That means Ghostbusters shirts, the hair flip thing girls used to do back then, and The J. Geils Band. So if you're fond of that decade, all of its familiar elements are here. But this is truly a family comedy, and despite all the dysfunction that takes center stage in the pilot, there's some deep familial caring between the characters. That's going to be key moving forward. Troy Gentile is the best of the three kids as older brother Barry, and he's like a mini Jeff Garlin, so when they're on-screen together it's pretty entertaining. And of course Segal is always great in this sort of role.

And what might I not like about it?

Most of the pilot is riddled with uninspired, overly generic sitcom-ness, and whether it's intentional or not, The Goldbergs could actually be mistaken for an '80s sitcom. It's comfortable tone means there's a decided lack of edge, so if you're looking for more, this isn't for you. Also, expect lots of SCREAMING and voiceover work, neither of which help the pilot out that much.

So should I watch it or not?

This isn't going to knock your knee-high striped socks off, but it's not bad. The Goldbergs is the kind of comedy that you'll watch a few episodes of and find to be completely watchable, but at some point you might fall behind and never catch up on it again. With all the new television out there, this is one you can skip if you don't have time for it.

Let's see a trailer, how about?

Okay:

The Goldbergs premieres Tuesday, September 24 at 9pm on ABC.

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/18/2016

Season 3 : Episode 24

23 Comments
Comments (23)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
"With all the new television out there, this is one you can skip if you don't have time for it." - The only thing is that none of the other new shows (that actually do air in Australia) interest me in the slightest. It is just one reality show after another over here, if you don't like reality shows it is too bad. This show is something that I need after the cancellation of "Raising Hope".
Flag
This article sucks. You should watch the Goldberg's, it is amazing!
Flag
I liked The Wonder Years... when I was maybe 9.

I think this is one of the few new shows I won't even try. This and Super Fun Night. Not to say that they're equally bad... Super Fun Night just seems terrible, this has more to do with the premise not interesting me.
Flag
This got posted just in time lol.
Flag
the wife wants to watch, so i'll check out the firsr few to see if i'll stick around. only new shows for me are Brooklyn 99 and SHIELD, so 21 more minutes a week wont hurt...for now
Flag

I find it ironic that this show's community is called That 80s Show, since That 80s Show failed because it focused way too much on making fun of the 80s, which seems to run rampant in this show's trailers. A good example of a show set in the 80s that didn't rely too much on mocking the era would be Everybody Hates Chris, or Freaks & Geeks.
Flag
This seems like a Jewish version of the Wonder Years, and I'm pretty sure Fox already had that and canceled it.
Flag
Why is it every time I see this promo picture, George Segal is poorly photoshopped into a different position? That's weird.

Anyway, I'm likely passing, the idea could work but the execution has been shot down by just about every reviewer, and it's ABC so I don't trust it any further than I can throw it, Grace. Plus, the kids are way too pretty, we were all fairly ugly back then. But I can see getting roped in tonight due to my weird schedule.

And NOBODY had a fuckin' Star Wars t-shirt with a goddamned Imperial Star Destroyer and Vader's TIE Advanced x1 on it in the 1980s! (That's code for "anacranisms from my era are painfully annoying.")
Flag
i agree, that does look weird. like he was added in later since he couldnt get together with everyone else for the shot.
Flag
Hell No this show is on my dead pool list.
Flag
Blah, blah, passe!
Flag
Be careful with these comparisons to The Wonder Years unless you really mean it. The Wonder Years was one of my favorite shows ever, and it did the period piece right by being SUBTLE about it. Same with Freaks and Geeks. Then you look at Oliver Beene, which was the opposite -- it smashed the 50's over your noggin and failed because of it.

Now I ask you, is the comparison only in terms of retro subject matter or is it in terms of quality? The Goldbergs will have to be VERY good to measure up to The Wonder Years.
Flag
So basically far from the best comedy of the season, but also not the worst. I guess I'll give it a shot.
Flag
Ultimately this is very forgettable despite being nice and charming and full of heart. It makes up the first half of a comedy hour that doesn't contain any laugh-out-loud comedy, and they are followed by Lucky 7, which I think will be cancelled. SHIELD is the lead in but I'd certainly flick over to New Girl rather than watch The Goldbergs. As I said, it's nice and heartfelt but I could imagine watching six episodes and not remembering what happened in at least four of them. I'll try to give it the four episode test, but I doubt I'll ever remember watching it and I doubt it'll see 2014.
Flag
watched the pilot
not for me
Flag
I couldn't even make it through the four minute trailer on this one.
Flag
Jeff Garlin is the only reason to give the show a shot. But if it's mainly jokes about leg warmers, Swatch watches, music videos, and Flock of Seagull haircuts (written by those who were infants in the '80s), forget it. But if it can actually capture the decade, then:

Flag
So I am wondering, why did they not pair this with The Middle, and Trophy Wife after Modern Family. Super Fun Night is not going to make it, and Back in the game very questionable. I could see people loving this schedule better.
7:00-The Middle
7:30-The Goldbergs
8:00-Modern Family
8:30-Trophy Wife
Flag
Follow this Show
Members
  • 8:00 pm
    The Bachelorette
    NEW
    ABC
  • 10:00 pm