The Goldbergs Forums

Tuesday 9:00 PM on ABCIn Season

Bev said "Re-gift"!

TVvuer69

[1]Oct 23, 2013
    • level: 58

Did anyone notice that in "The Ring", Bev tells the ring shop clerk her husband re-gifted the engagement ring from his previous fiancee to her? Although re-gifting may have been done on a number of occasions in the past, the word itself wasn't that commonly used until the mid-'90s courtesy of Seinfeld, with the episode "The Label Maker". I still find it a funny term, but I think they went a bit overboard for this show, being it's set in the '80s, when the word wasn't really used back then. Hope they can avoid more errors like this for the rest of the series.

Edited on 10/23/2013 1:44pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

skbrettbug

[2]Oct 25, 2013
    • level: 18
    Re-gift and de-gifting?

Yeah, it could have been avoided, but certain terms (ie master of your domain) are only there to provide comedic effect like this

djboy77

[3]Jan 8, 2014
    • level: 7

I think you're overestimating how original Seinfeld was. A lot of these words were made popular by the show, but not invented by them. Think about it - this is pretty much the early life of a Seinfeld-like character. Where did he get it? Probably his mother. It absolutely makes sense. I'm not excusing their jumping around in time (3 episodes alone have varied between 1985, 1987 and 1989), or some other inaccuracies, but your expectations seem to be set at the wrong level.

skbrettbug

[4]Jan 23, 2014
    • level: 18
    Yes! I agree with you