The Golden Girls

72 Hours

Aired Unknown Feb 17, 1990 on NBC

• Rose finds out she might be carrying the HIV virus from a transfusion she received during a gall bladder operation.

This was a good episode and very timely for the early 1990's. The fear of AIDS was spreading through the country and there were lots of rumors and bad information. At the time it was still seen as a gay disease or one for people who slept around. The natural choice for this would have been Blanche. That's why centering this story around Rose made it even more effective. The tests were done under a fake name to protect people from losing their insurance or jobs. We were still in the early stages of the disease, and boy have we come a long way since then!
    Rose almost goes crazy having to wait 72 hours for the results. It's Blanche who helps her through it and it's very touching. In the end it's one more story that shows how close the girls are and how much they really care for each other.
  • A Clear indication to the fear of Aids in the early 90's

Now i'm pretty young and it wasn't until i saw this episode that i realised how terrible it was for those who tested Positive. It honestly never occurred to me that they would have trouble getting insurance and Jobs it is pretty awful.

'Aids isn't bad people's disease Rose, it isn't God punishing his people for their sins'

At times Sophia may have seemed that she felt it was but from what I've heard Estelle Getty was anything but and a great activist for those with HIV Aids

Fav Line:
    Dorothy 'Its like holding up a save the whales poster on a Japanese Trawler'