The Golden Girls

An Illegitimate Concern

Aired Unknown Feb 12, 1990 on NBC

• Blanche is shocked when a strange man knocks on the door claiming to be the son of her late husband George. Meanwhile, Dorothy and Sophia compete in the Shady Pines mother daughter beauty contest.

This is a favorite episode for many reasons. The interplay between Sophia and Dorothy is great. When they come out as Sonny and Cher,it's a hoot. Bea Arthur doing a Cher impression is hysterical. When Blanche confuses them with Cheech and Chong it's even funnier. But the real star of this episode is Rue! We see all the sides of Blanche. Starting with feeling that David,the illegitimate concern, is madly in love with her to the realization that George had cheated on her, we see the real Blanche. As she comes to terms with the truth, the scene where she offers to share some pictures of George with David, lets us see that deep down, Blanche is not the superficial southern belle we see so often. She is a wonderful woman who has genuine concerns and feelings. This is one of Rue McClanahan's best performances.