The Golden Girls

Brother, Can You Spare That Jacket?

Aired Unknown Dec 03, 1988 on NBC

7.6
  • Should Have Won an Emmy

Such a touching story! Yes, we watch GG for the broad laughter, but the last half of this episode is so poignant that the stirring of emotions was enough for me. Do you believe the girls would have really turned in that $10K lottery ticket. Maybe, maybe not, but wasn't the story worth it? I say that if the outcome caused some of us to re-examine our situations and do more to help those in tougher circumstances, then this episode was a blessing.
  • Comedy can have it's touching moments, but it certainly should not be a downer.

Good sitcoms are not meant to make you feel bad or guilty and this is exactly the effect "Brother, Can You Spare That Jacket?" had on me. Except for one or two funny moments, this episode is utterly depressing. The minute the girls enter the shelter, the show becomes a drama and not a very subtle one either. Anyone tuning in during this segment will think they are watching a telethon to raise money for the homeless. There is the single mother, the PhD turned addict, the poor abandoned old lady... And there is the song "Brother, Can You spare a Dime" playing as the camera slowly shows the poor people in their beds. Not a very good recipe for comedy.
  • A winning lottery ticket is mistakenly lost and the girls go to great lengths to get it back.

One of the worst episodes in the series. Not funny and the most unbelievable of all. This episode, plus the awful Sophia's Wedding that precede it were a real low point.
    The girls have a winning lottery ticket worth $10,000 dollars. To keep it safe they put it in the pocket of a leather coat. Sophia accidentally gives the coat away. From there on in it is downhill. First Michael Jackson, of all people, buys the coat and wears it. Next the coat is auctioned off for the homeless. The worst part comes next when the girls pretend to be homeless to get into the shelter to try and get the coat. Why wouldn't the priest know that they weren't homeless? Plus the scenes where each of them talks to someone in the shelter is so preachy, it really is insulting. Joking about homeless people and then saying how lucky they are that they are not homeless, really makes this one of the worst episodes of the series.
  • I don't know, but I find it unwatchable

4.2
    This episode perhaps doesn't deserve the score that I gave it, but the reason it is so low is because I find this episode unwatchable. I'm not sure exactly what it is about it (maybe the fact that it's preachy on the subject on homelessness) but I almost never watch it, even if it's on, when I normally would watch almost any of the rest. It never seemed very funny to me. It was probably not intended to be that funny, since it's supposed to shed light on a social issue. I never liked those kind of episodes, but I guess it just depends on your point of view. Some might think it's wonderful.
  • It seems a bit ridiculous.

6.2
    Why wouldn't Blanche take the ticket with her? Knowing how superficial Blanche is, it would've made more sense for her not to let the ticket out of her site. Instead she leaves it on her new jacket on the couch. I don't like that idea at all, it was ridiculous. The part at the shelter was decent but quite sad to see what the homeless live like.