The Golden Girls

Brotherly Love

Aired Unknown Nov 14, 1987 on NBC

• A Weiss and Ferro gem

Fredric Weiss and Jeffrey Ferro were not on the show long, but the two episodes they wrote together (plus their third contribution) were some of the best of the series.

In Brotherly Love, McLean Stevenson guest stars as Stanley's brother. He's young, talented, and old-fashioned -- a stand-up guy to his older, less successful brother.

It's of no surprise then that Dorothy happens to like Ted a lot more so than Stan. So when Dorothy greets Ted warmly, Stan, in his endless seek for attentions, asks: "What about me, babe?" Dorothy's answer is classic: "Go hug a land mine!"

Weiss and Ferro were particularly good at the one-line insults. "No, Rose, Minneapolis, France!" "The man at Table 5, in the blue suit, is impotent. Bon appetit!" "She's Gary Hart's campaign manager. It doesn't pay much, but she doesn't have to get out of bed to do it." "What is this, Hamlet?"

Ted turns out to be less than stellar with Dorothy, however, leading to her terrific exit from the restaurant/dance floor. This, of course, is after Dorothy "steals" Ted away from all-over-him Blanche. Ted is less than thrilled by Blanche's eager attitude, but nevertheless, this leads to a slight wedge between Blanche and Dorothy. Tired Rose to the rescue.

This is one of my personal favorites given the unforgettable one-liners, but I also appreciate it because of its dead-on impression of the characters. Smart, mean, but vulnerable Dorothy; egotistical, sexually active, but well-intentioned Blanche; sweet, innocent, naive, dimmest-bulb-in-the-tree Rose, and sarcastic, insulting, but caring matriarch Sophia. Each of them had their moments in this episode (I thought Rose was especially well-written), and that's all I ask from a Golden Girls ep.
  • Season 3, Episode 8.

This episode had a good plot. I didn't get to see a lot of it. I forgot why. But I did like the concept of this episode.

Blanche makes a move at Ted, Stan's brother, the minute she learns he's a neurosurgeon. She is furious when she discovers Ted is interested in is Dorothy.--- I liked this storyline. It was very interesting to see Stan's brother and to see Dorothy "in a relationship" with him. I can't believe how he ended up using her though. That was sad, but I liked how she embarrassed him.

Rose suffers from insomnia. --- OK plot. Didn't catch too much of it.
  • Stan's brother returns and he and Dorothy have a fling.

I liked this episode a lot, especially the part where Dorothy and Blanche go back and forth at each other, and they call each other such names as "slut," "trash." This was a very funny episode. I liked the part where Dorothy learned that Ted just wanted her to babysit and she tells the entire restaurant he's impotent. Very good episode.
  • What would you call this, a testimonial?

This episode is a kind of hidden highlight of the third season. It's very well written, the type of episode where every other line is good for a great laugh. The scenes between Blanche and Ted are very funny and well done, first when she's picking him up and again when she's trying to seduce him and Rose and Sophia keep interrupting. Great comedy right there! Another small but hilarious scene is when Sophia is trying to convince Rose that she's given her a sleeping potion and is really going to hit her on the head... "I don't feel anything, when's it going to hit me??" The scene at the dance club between Dorothy, Ted and Stan is also very amusing. One thing I never understood though... if Ted is impotent, what is he going to do with the stewardess that he's flying to Acapulco?