The Golden Girls

Dorothy's New Friend

Aired Unknown Jan 16, 1988 on NBC

• Absolutely hysterical

This is definitely one of my favorite Golden Girls episodes of all time. I could never get sick of watching the scene where Barbara Thorndyke first meets Blanche and Rose. It's hysterically funny how pretentious Barbara is, and how clueless Blanche and Rose seem to be. I just love the way their cluelessness seems to take Barbara down a peg... instead of fawning over her intelligence and wit the way Dorothy does, they miss it, which seems to really frustrate Barbara. I also love the second scene they have together, where Rose talks about playing "Oogle and Floogle" (Adults play it!) Those two scenes are what really make this episode so special. I also adore the scene where Dorothy references Three's Company and Blanche and Rose put her down... "At last a reference from Dorothy that even we illiterates can understand..." "I guess her well of knowledge has run dry... That's a metaphor, Dorothy." (That right there is Rose at her best... classic!) This whole episode is one laugh right after another.