The Golden Girls Forums

NBC (ended 1992)

Anyone consider Golden Palace as "canon" or "non-canon" to G

ToniMontana804

[1]May 2, 2008
    • level: 15

I always consider it as non-canon. To me, Golden Girls ended when Dorothy got married. The thing about spin-offs is they can ruin characters.

*****SPOILER*****

Like one episode we learned that Miles cheated on Rose, which was completely out of character of him to do. Miles loved Rose a lot. What's your opinion, guys and girls? Also, it left us an unresolved ending like most shows.

Edited on 05/02/2008 3:20am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

telvisnostic

[2]May 2, 2008
    • level: 52

I agree. when the 4th wheel leaves the car stalls and get nowhere and that's what happened with GP.

The show was awful and it wasn't really that funny either.

pamhalpert

[3]May 4, 2008
    • level: 14

The main reason that GP ended so quickly was because Estelle Getty's Alzheimers began to rapidly get worse to the point where it was visible during filming. They wanted to safeguard her dignity, and not let her fans see her like that.

Hello everyone. First time on this board!

Edited on 05/04/2008 8:39pm

telvisnostic

[4]May 5, 2008
    pamhalpert wrote:
    The main reason that GP ended so quickly was because Estelle Getty's Alzheimers began to rapidly get worse to the point where it was visible during filming. They wanted to safeguard her dignity, and not let her fans see her like that.

Hello everyone. First time on this board!

That was very repectful of them and welcome aboard.

millerem99

[5]May 10, 2008
    • level: 51
    ToniMontana804 wrote:

I always consider it as non-canon. To me, Golden Girls ended when Dorothy got married. The thing about spin-offs is they can ruin characters.

*****SPOILER*****

Like one episode we learned that Miles cheated on Rose, which was completely out of character of him to do. Miles loved Rose a lot. What's your opinion, guys and girls? Also, it left us an unresolved ending like most shows.

I agree, and said the exact same thing on another thread about the Miles thing - totally unbelievable.

InstantClubHits

[6]Jun 19, 2008
    • level: 5

Also when Stan "died"...but really he was on the run from the IRS...I guess that was kind of in character...but it was dumb for him to go out that way...the other girls thinking Stan was dead, and only Sophia knowing...he deserved better...so did Miles.

However, I do consider it canon because Dorothy came back to visit...and was part of the show for that small time....and I thought Golden Palace really had it's moments...like Rose talking Alien....the Tums thing...it couldn't go on for more than one season, but I think it certainly wasn't horrible.

BurienBomber

[7]Jun 23, 2008
    • level: 4
    pamhalpert wrote:

Are you sure that is the reason? After Golden Palace ended, Estelle joined the cast of Empty Nest playing Sophia Petrillo (who now lived back at Shady Pines) for the last 2 seasons of that series.

stellarchick86

[8]Jul 10, 2008
    • level: 32

Ok, wait, Im sorry but this is the first Ive heard of "Golden Palace". There was a spinoff minus Bea Arthur? I never knew that! Is it still on?? Maybe thats why Ive never heard of it.

And I knew about Empty Nest kind of sort of but never really paid attention to it, in fact I thought it was a pre-quel to GG and Betty wasnt the same character (I never saw it so) because my parents watched Empty Nest but hated GG.

Edited on 07/10/2008 1:36am

flashgarrick

[9]Jul 12, 2008
    • level: 10
    stellarchick86 wrote:

Ok, wait, Im sorry but this is the first Ive heard of "Golden Palace". There was a spinoff minus Bea Arthur? I never knew that! Is it still on?? Maybe thats why Ive never heard of it.

And I knew about Empty Nest kind of sort of but never really paid attention to it, in fact I thought it was a pre-quel to GG and Betty wasnt the same character (I never saw it so) because my parents watched Empty Nest but hated GG.

The Golden Palace ran from 1992-1993 on CBS. In it, Blanche, Rose and Sophia buy a struggling hotel named the Golden Palace and work in it, while interacting with guests and employees. Bea Arthur came back briefly in a 2-part episode. There was a second season considered, but it was eventually cancelled.

stellarchick86

[10]Jul 13, 2008
    flashgarrick wrote:
    stellarchick86 wrote:

The Golden Palace ran from 1992-1993 on CBS. In it, Blanche, Rose and Sophia buy a struggling hotel named the Golden Palace and work in it, while interacting with guests and employees. Bea Arthur came back briefly in a 2-part episode. There was a second season considered, but it was eventually cancelled.

Oh, okay. Wow. Thanks!

pamhalpert

[12]Jul 16, 2008
    • level: 14
    BurienBomber wrote:
    pamhalpert wrote:

Are you sure that is the reason? After Golden Palace ended, Estelle joined the cast of Empty Nest playing Sophia Petrillo (who now lived back at Shady Pines) for the last 2 seasons of that series.

I think Empty Nest was before GP. If not, then she only acted part time and in small doses. I know I'm right about the reason Estelle left the show because I watched an interview with the producers.

stellarchick86

[13]Jul 18, 2008
    pamhalpert wrote:

I think Empty Nest was before GP.

I thought it was before too. But I never really saw it so Im probably wrong.

telvisnostic

[14]Jul 18, 2008
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    pamhalpert wrote:
    I just looked it up and it was a spin-off of the GG. So Empty Nest apprently came after the Girls due to how the Girls began in 1985 and Empty Nest began in 1988.

stellarchick86

[15]Jul 18, 2008
    telvisnostic wrote:
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    pamhalpert wrote:
    I just looked it up and it was a spin-off of the GG. So Empty Nest apprently came after the Girls due to how the Girls began in 1985 and Empty Nest began in 1988.

Ah, okay. Thanks!

telvisnostic

[16]Jul 18, 2008
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    telvisnostic wrote:
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    pamhalpert wrote:
    I just looked it up and it was a spin-off of the GG. So Empty Nest apparently came after the Girls due to how the Girls began in 1985 and Empty Nest began in 1988.
    Ah, okay. Thanks!
    You're welcome.

tootbuc69

[17]Jul 29, 2008
    • level: 1
    I'd have to question your reasoning on that. If you recall, Estelle was next seen on Empty Nest until it went off the air. I don't think it was her alzeimers that made the Golden Palace show so bad, it was just a rotten show. The format was different and new cast members, that's not gonna work, as we all found out.

tootbuc69

[18]Jul 29, 2008
    • level: 1
    Empty Nest was on when Golden Girls was on. Don't you recall when Sophia babysat Dreyfuss, then he ran away, so she got another dog and then Dreyfuss came back. Golden Girls was cancelled, then they did Golden Palace, all the while Empty Nest was on. After Golden Palace, Sophia (Estelle) was on Empty Nest until that was cancelled.

dsly4425

[19]Aug 18, 2008
    • level: 6
    To the person that said that GP was cancelled due to the declining health of Estelle Getty, I must say that with all respect, I disagree. Estelle Getty was a regular character on Empty Nest the final two seasons of that show, which ended in 1995, two years after the ending of GP. She also appeared in several other television shows from the late 1990s through the year 2000, at which point she made her final appearance on an episode of Ladies Man in 2000. Anyhow, I actually enjoyed GP and I hope it someday makes it to DVD.

millerem99

[20]Aug 20, 2008
    • level: 51
    I was so excited for any kind of follow-up involving the Girls, but Golden Palace really lacked any kind of zing, and was hollow to say the least. Miles falling in love with someone other than Rose was the last straw.