The Golden Girls Forums

NBC (ended 1992)

bea arthur/betty white feud?

floberdobdob

[1]Jan 15, 2006
    • level: 9
    was there really a feud between bea arthur & betty white? i've heard several people say that there was, but i really am not sure. i watched the bloopers that they showed on "gg greatest moments" and once when rose screwed up in "ladies of the evening" she said . . ."oh god they're reacasting" and it seemed bea, while she did laugh, got annoyed and she dug her nails into betty.

now i've seen "dorothy" dig her nails into "rose" but at that point they weren't in character.

can anyone ellaborate on this?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Random862

[2]Jan 16, 2006
    • level: 7
    She was probably joking around and doing a "Dorothy and Rose" moment.

port5170

[3]Jan 16, 2006
    • level: 12
    i don't think there were any rivalries.. they all seem to love each other

floberdobdob

[4]Jan 18, 2006
    yes but do u notice if u've seen all 4 of their intimate portraits, bea arthur does not appear in betty white's, and betty white does not appear in bea arthur's?

Pats12Fan

[5]Jan 19, 2006
    I also noticed something on special with the bloopers: theres a part when they are all in the kitchen and Bea is saying a line and then the director says cut. Betty says "Bea screwed up" kinda like haha and Bea gave Betty this evil look and it showed Betty givin Bea this look back like "thats right b*tch I said it, you screwed up and not me!" and the other 2 ladies looked like they were afraid like "oh no what do we do now, she said something b*tchy to Bea!"

I also heard one of the ladies say in an interview, I think it was Betty, that the ladies didnt really talk on set to each other! They all had their own groups of friends and kept to themselves alot on set!

sgtpepper1985

[6]Jan 24, 2006
    • level: 14
    Pats12Fan wrote:
    I also noticed something on special with the bloopers: theres a part when they are all in the kitchen and Bea is saying a line and then the director says cut. Betty says "Bea screwed up" kinda like haha and Bea gave Betty this evil look and it showed Betty givin Bea this look back like "thats right b*tch I said it, you screwed up and not me!" and the other 2 ladies looked like they were afraid like "oh no what do we do now, she said something b*tchy to Bea!"

I also heard one of the ladies say in an interview, I think it was Betty, that the ladies didnt really talk on set to each other! They all had their own groups of friends and kept to themselves alot on set!

That's any cast you work with! Speaking as am actress who has had her fair share of feuds, if anybody said "Layla Screwed up" just like Betty said to Bea, I would get mad and give that lady a dirty a look. I heard that Betty was impossible to work with and that's why one of the directors quit after the first or second season.

KileyK

[7]Feb 10, 2006
    • level: 11
    I never heard of a feud between them until you mentioned it. Maybe it happened and maybe it didn't; with the way Hollywood is, though, I wouldn't be too surprised. Either way, though, you can't deny that these four women put on a great act and showed excellent chemistry in a landmark of a television series.

bhawkins08

[8]Apr 11, 2006
    I don't Really Think there was a fight. They all Seemed like sisters to me, but if there was it's just the thing we can't help that.

vivaldi4

[9]Apr 14, 2006
    • level: 5
    No, they really don't like each other. Might have to do with Bea being a primarily stage-trained actress and Betty working mainly in television. The only thing that they seem to have in common is animal rights issues.

Rue & Bea are pals from way back, I think even before they did "Maude" together.

Raisingdad

[10]Apr 15, 2006
    • level: 8
    Rue, Bea & Betty are recording a commentary together for the Season 5 DVD - so I don't think so. I think the whole 'Bea messed up' was because she was such a trained actor, and rarely screws up - not a 'Ha ha, I'm better than you' deal.
    Edited on 04/15/2006 3:22am

potter6233

[11]Apr 22, 2006
    Raisingdad wrote:
    Rue, Bea & Betty are recording a commentary together for the Season 5 DVD - so I don't think so. I think the whole 'Bea messed up' was because she was such a trained actor, and rarely screws up - not a 'Ha ha, I'm better than you' deal.

WHOA, there's going to be commentary?! Where did you hear this?

On topic... I don't think there's a fued. Has anyone else seen the footage of Bea Arthur doing "THE URKEL" at some TV awards show in the early 90's? After it's over, it shows Betty in the audience and she says (although you can't hear it due to lack of a microphone) "Bea is wonderful!"

Raisingdad

[12]Apr 23, 2006
    http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=5078

Quote: The Girls share their favorite episodes in exclusive insights into the show in audio commentaries.

potter6233

[13]Apr 24, 2006
    Awesome! That's the best news I've heard in a long time! Finally some concrete extras on the DVDs!

Allaniain

[14]Apr 25, 2006
    • level: 13

At least you get the dvds.

I'm from the UK and apparently they're not going to conitnue elling the golden girls on dvd..well, any new dvds, they'll still sell seasons 1 - 3

How crap!

Its down to poor sales..so what!? What baout the people that did buy it?

Raisingdad

[15]Apr 26, 2006
    Does your computer have a DVD Drive? You can easily change it to Region 1, and just watch them on your computer. PlayUsa.com is cheap.

dramafreezone

[16]May 26, 2006
    • level: 16
    I don't really believe there was any hard feelings between Betty White and Bea Arthur, they just had a completely different way of working.  Betty is more laxed and likes to cut up and mug for the camera.  Bea is strictly a professional who is there to get business taken care of, she liked her work, but would rather be with her family and friends.  Whatever they were, friends, enemies, colleagues, doesn't really matter, they came together when it counted and made on heck of a great tv show.

xcashclan07x

[17]May 28, 2006
    • level: 4

No, I don't think there was a feud between betty and bea. I do think that with any show that last as long as the GG ...with 4 main characters...there had bound to be some little huffs between the cast, but that is normal in TV history.

txgirl75

[18]May 29, 2006
    • level: 23
    I heard they got along great and are very good friends. Like people they have arguments here and there.

sizz_leteen

[19]Jun 2, 2006
    • level: 16
    I don't know about any specific feuds, but I was recently reading an article on Desperate Housewives, and at the end of the article there were small blurbs about other "gal pal" series in which the circle of "friends" was not particularly friendly in real life. It didn't go into details, but it did state that the Golden Girls did not get along.

Pats12Fan

[20]Jun 13, 2006
    if yuo have a link could you post it? id like to read what it said.