The Golden Girls Forums

NBC (ended 1992)

bea arthur/betty white feud?

babgrl8475

[21]Jun 14, 2006
    • level: 7
    I have heard the same thing about the feud between the two of them, this is not the first. But if I had to choose a side, I would go with Bea Arthur. She is my favorite! I love the dry sense of humor.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Roxy1165

[22]Jul 30, 2009
    • level: 1
    You all have really not studies the bloopers. Betty does say "Bea Screwed up" and Rue says to Bea "You Jumped". Then staright after Betty screws up in the same scene, and says to Bea "...now not a word out of you !" , Bea does a hearty laugh. They obviously both enjoyed winding each other up and laughing. In another blooper Betty gets a line wrong about selling Belgian Waffles as a kid by the rosdside, Bea corrects her and then Betty has fun and says to Bea "You don't know what I sold by the side of the road". You couldn't do that with another actor if you didn't get on well with them. I know I am a British actor. When in prison Betty screws up a line and says out of character "Oh God they're recasting" Bea clearly laughs out of character, and then in character digs her hand/nails into Betty to get her own laugh. When Bea in one episode says mistakenly..."You see younger women with older women every day" and therfore screws up, Betty covers Bea's embarassment in the mistake by joking too. Again this wouldn't happen if they disliked each other. The blooper rehearsal scene where Blanche gives the girls for Christmas a calendar of "The Men of Blanches boudoir", the actors are not in costume as they are rehearsing ....watch them laughing carefully, there is a lot of body contact between Bea and Betty, with Bea collapsing into giggles holding onto Betty - again this wouldn't happen between two people who disliked each other. The only online evidence that ther may, just may have been some disgruntlement is in the interviews with Betty in "The archive of American Television - Betty White". When Betty talks about her time in the Golden Girls, she says that filming a soap like that isn't hard work, don't listen to what Bewa Arthur says, it's not that hard. I think Betty was disappointed that GG ended when Bea left. Also in the same archive with Bea Arthur about her life, she says she was unsure about working with Betty who was perceived as too sweet. On the evidence available to us and the interviews with Betty after Bea's death, it appears that Betty and Bea were good friends respected each others work and enjoyed each others company.

sbhinyo

[23]Aug 20, 2009
    • level: 13
    There wasn't any fued, maybe at one point they didn't like each other but from what i've heard and read and saw from the looks of it they were friends I wouldn't say best friends but they were still friends.

horizonrusted

[24]Jun 6, 2010

In interviews, the girls would brag about working on a set without tension, where everyone got along. I stumbled across this rumour just tonight, and find it hard to believe. The old cliches of the set being a home and the cast and crew feeling like family have not been unfamiliar phrases uttered by all the Golden Girls. As for anonymous claiming that Betty was ab*tch catch me at the wrong time and you might say the same thing about me. In other words, one bad encounter does not a b*tch make. Also, I have a print interview with Bea Arthur wherein she's asked about various people (from Lucille Ball to The Golden Girls cast), and when asked about Betty White, she was said to have fought back tears even at the mention ofBetty.Aside from everything else, I have enjoyed this show (as well as a lot of their work besides the Golden Girls) and hate to think that they didn't have as much fun making it as I have had watching it. I sure hope they did.

astra35803

[25]Jul 13, 2010
    I read in Rues Biography that the tension between Bea and Betty was simply because Bea was more of a theatre actress and wasn't really used to interacting with audiences whereas Betty has been in TV since the beginning so was used to joking with audiences when bloopers happened etc so it frustrated Bea....So it seems more just a professional difference in training, I don't think it was a problem on a personal level

stellarchick86

[26]Oct 24, 2011
    • level: 32
    horizonrusted wrote:

In interviews, the girls would brag about working on a set without tension, where everyone got along. I stumbled across this rumour just tonight, and find it hard to believe. The old cliches of the set being a home and the cast and crew feeling like family have not been unfamiliar phrases uttered by all the Golden Girls. As for anonymous claiming that Betty was ab*tch catch me at the wrong time and you might say the same thing about me. In other words, one bad encounter does not a b*tch make. Also, I have a print interview with Bea Arthur wherein she's asked about various people (from Lucille Ball to The Golden Girls cast), and when asked about Betty White, she was said to have fought back tears even at the mention ofBetty.Aside from everything else, I have enjoyed this show (as well as a lot of their work besides the Golden Girls) and hate to think that they didn't have as much fun making it as I have had watching it. I sure hope they did.

Between the 2 of them, Id guess that Bea is probably more difficult to get along with than Betty. Just my opinion on the matter.

astra35803 wrote:
    I read in Rues Biography that the tension between Bea and Betty was simply because Bea was more of a theatre actress and wasn't really used to interacting with audiences whereas Betty has been in TV since the beginning so was used to joking with audiences when bloopers happened etc so it frustrated Bea....So it seems more just a professional difference in training, I don't think it was a problem on a personal level

This makes the most sense.

pamhalpert

[27]Jan 30, 2012
    • level: 14

Betty loved ALL 3 cast members. That is why reporters don't usually ask her about it. She is dealing with alot knowing that 3 of her best friends died within a year or 2.