The Golden Girls Forums

NBC (ended 1992)

Bea Arthur- The End of Shows

PiperPrueLover4

[1]Jun 18, 2007
    • level: 18

"Maude" and "The Golden Girls" both ended because she wanted to leave. It isn't like she had more pressing matters, so why would she keep leaving? I find it really irritating that The Golden Girls could have had at least a Season 8 had it not been for her wanting to leave.

I don't buy the "leave when on top" thing, that is an unacceptable reason!!!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

bionicwoman_js

[2]Jun 28, 2007
    • level: 5
    you got to realize that Maude was on for 6 years and Golden Girls was on for 7. It probably took its toll on her and the others involved. I know with Girls, she has mentioned about it in the Initmate Portraits of all the other Girls. I mean why would you want to keep doing something when you've done it already. You'd end up doing the same thing over that you did on the 1st or 2nd seasons. Golden Girls went to Golden Palace and didn't really find their audience. they started doing some of the same things over that were done on Girls.

telvisnostic

[3]Jun 28, 2007
    • level: 52

Golden Palace was just downright awful.

And maybeBea just wanted to go back to Broadway or her one woman shows.

Edited on 07/01/2007 9:47pm

PiperPrueLover4

[4]Jul 1, 2007
    bionicwoman_js wrote:
    you got to realize that Maude was on for 6 years and Golden Girls was on for 7. It probably took its toll on her and the others involved. I know with Girls, she has mentioned about it in the Initmate Portraits of all the other Girls. I mean why would you want to keep doing something when you've done it already. You'd end up doing the same thing over that you did on the 1st or 2nd seasons. Golden Girls went to Golden Palace and didn't really find their audience. they started doing some of the same things over that were done on Girls.

Which could have been avoided if Bea had stayed on longer. The show's dynamic had changed for Palace and they probably didn't even realise they were repeating the storylines. I never saw Golden Palace, wish I had though. The three loyal cast members at least gave it another shot.

Kingcool7789

[5]Jul 9, 2007
    • level: 39
    Maybe after 7 years she knew it was time to move on to do new things in career.

vanlord_52

[6]Jul 14, 2007
    • level: 5
    She didn't have anything else to do with her career....Since The Golden Girls ended I have seen her as a guest on Malcolm In the Middle and I heard about her 1 Woman Show. I agree, both Maude and The Golden Girls ended because she wanted to leave.

MilhousesDad

[7]Jul 24, 2007
    • level: 3
    replying to PiperPrueLover4

Shows that go on to long (from good storylines that have been all played out) tend to become stupid and/or boring i mean just look at ....the simpsons

Tieraluzier

[8]Jul 26, 2007
    • level: 6
    I thought the show was great and lasted as long as it needed to. One of my best friends growing up was the niece of Bea Arthur (Dorothy), and even though a lot of people say that "the show must go on", the actors themselves like to quit while they are ahead because nobody wants to be on a show that gets bad ratings. They quit when they were on top so they didn't bore us.

telvisnostic

[9]Jul 27, 2007
    Tieraluzier wrote:
    I thought the show was great and lasted as long as it needed to. One of my best friends growing up was the niece of Bea Arthur (Dorothy), and even though a lot of people say that "the show must go on", the actors themselves like to quit while they are ahead because nobody wants to be on a show that gets bad ratings. They quit when they were on top so they didn't bore us.
    If only more shows and actors would do that.

PiperPrueLover4

[10]Jul 30, 2007
    I have to agree about the simpsons but that was never good in the first place...

And I don't think it was up to Bea to decide if the Golden Girls was going to run out of storylines and bore us... to me, shows that stay on until we boo them off the stage are those that show real commitment and if only more actors and shows did THAT.

tansydog

[11]Aug 11, 2007
    • level: 4
    IMDB gives her date of birth as 1922, which would make her 70 years old when the show ended in 1992. That was probably part of the reason for her decision too I would think - 70 is pretty old to be working full-time on a show like that (or indeed in any job). And at 70 years old you should be able to do what you want IMHO

The ratings had started to drop in season 7 too, sad as it was that it ended, I think the decision to go out on a high was probably in the show's interest.

Kingcool7789

[12]Aug 30, 2007
    • level: 39
    vanlord_52 wrote:
    She didn't have anything else to do with her career....Since The Golden Girls ended I have seen her as a guest on Malcolm In the Middle and I heard about her 1 Woman Show. I agree, both Maude and The Golden Girls ended because she wanted to leave.
    Well you know I am sure she has made so much money she doesnt even need to work anymore.

cherrytree34

[13]Aug 30, 2007
    • level: 13
    I think it was best for the show to end when it did, much as I love it. The final episode still makes me bawl like a baby every time (although I've seen it about fifteen times), and besides, I never get tired of the reruns, no matter how many times I watch them. But too often shows do go past their prime and drop off, and who wants to be a part of that?

telvisnostic

[14]Sep 3, 2007

cherrytree34 wrote:
    I think it was best for the show to end when it did, much as I love it. The final episode still makes me bawl like a baby every time (although I've seen it about fifteen times), and besides, I never get tired of the reruns, no matter how many times I watch them. But too often shows do go past their prime and drop off, and who wants to be a part of that?
    I agree with all you said.

Noone wants a show to go on longer than they need to. Some shows seemed to just run out of ideas or just bore us with recycled stories.

yuki_megami

[15]Oct 20, 2007
    • level: 24
    Yeah it was an big disappointment when the show has finally ended.It made me cry at the end of the final episode when they all cry The Golden Palace wasn't that popular as Golden Girls,was.But yeah Bea Arthur,must have decided that she wanted to pursure other things.

th77

[16]Nov 22, 2007
    • level: 24
    PiperPrueLover4 wrote:

"Maude" and "The Golden Girls" both ended because she wanted to leave. It isn't like she had more pressing matters, so why would she keep leaving? I find it really irritating that The Golden Girls could have had at least a Season 8 had it not been for her wanting to leave.

I don't buy the "leave when on top" thing, that is an unacceptable reason!!!

Well she is not obligated to stay on a show when she feels ready to move on,her pressing matter may have just been she was tired she was the oldest member of the cast and may have not been up to continuing with the grueling schedule involved with filming a tv show and yes I know the other woman were older too but just causethey were not tired does not mean she wasn't and I too would've liked to see the show continue longer but in all reality there was a season 8 w/o her it was called golden palace

supercin721

[17]Jan 4, 2008
    • level: 30

When I was younger, when I used to live and die with each episode of my tv shows, I'd get upset if an actor wanted to leave. Then, I grew up and realized that actors grow as well. With the amount of money they make and the long hours that they do put in, why wouldn't you take a break or risk a change and do something else? At 70, I'd be traveling the world or just relaxing with grandkids. For the younger actors who do it, I'm sure they just want a change or a break. When Charmed ended, it was sad but they ended it so well that it left me happy with not only the story but also for the actors who deserved a break from LONG hours and deserved time with their families.

So, kudos Dorothy...my favorite GG!

PiperPrueLover4

[18]Jan 13, 2008
    cherrytree34 wrote:
    But too often shows do go past their prime and drop off, and who wants to be a part of that?

lol I do!

kravitzfan12

[19]Feb 13, 2008
    • level: 34

I feel a similiar way about "Golden Girls" as I do with "Seinfeld". I love both shows. I think Bea Arthur had a lot of artistic integrity to end the show when she did. Whose to say that the other cast members didn't want to end either. I know they went on to Golden Palace, but I think that Bea ultimately made the correct decision, because look at Golden Palace (although it was decent, it was murdered in the ratings).

I relate this to "Seinfeld" because he too was the only cast member who decided when to end. Jerry was offered 5 MILLION DOLLARS an episode to continue. Because of his artistic integrity, he decided it was time to end. Whether the other cast members agreed with the decision, they supported Jerry because it was obviously a tough decision.

I think the the other Golden Girls supported Bea Arthur's decision, and then continued with another series. To me, Bea made the right decision and had a lot of courage to end a cash cow like "The Golden Girls".

WaywardUsername

[20]Mar 20, 2008
    • level: 11

PiperPrueLover4 wrote:
    I have to agree about the simpsons but that was never good in the first place... And I don't think it was up to Bea to decide if the Golden Girls was going to run out of storylines and bore us... to me, shows that stay on until we boo them off the stage are those that show real commitment and if only more actors and shows did THAT.

Why so they can end up on a show where the ratings constantly sink until they get cancelled. Getting cancelled and ending a show are 2 different things. Why would she or any actor want to stay on a show where nobody is watching anymore thats not exactly the best thing for an actor's career.