The Golden Girls Forums

NBC (ended 1992)

Bea Arthur- The End of Shows

PiperPrueLover4

[21]Mar 27, 2008
    • level: 18
    I tend to think more along the lines of reruns. There are a far larger variety of episodes for syndication if actors just stick with shows for longer. It's also the difference between 7 years and 8 years that makes a difference- in my mind, 8 years is in the category of a long run, but 7 years isn't. At least the other three TRIED to make an 8th Season in The Golden Palace.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

stellarchick86

[22]Jul 10, 2008
    • level: 32
    If she wanted to end, thats cool with me. I understand where shes coming from and 7 seasons when youre 70 years old is alot to deal with! I wouldve left a long time ago! Im confused though, someone said Bea was the oldest- wouldnt Estelle be oldest, and then Betty 2nd and then Bea 3rd?

telvisnostic

[23]Jul 10, 2008
    • level: 52

stellarchick86 wrote:
    If she wanted to end, thats cool with me. I understand where shes coming from and 7 seasons when youre 70 years old is alot to deal with! I wouldve left a long time ago! Im confused though, someone said Bea was the oldest- wouldnt Estelle be oldest, and then Betty 2nd and then Bea 3rd?
    Estelle had to be in make-up for I think it was either 45 minutes or an hour or so to make her look that old as well as put the wig on.

These are their birthdays:

Beatrice Arthur: May 13th, 1923
    Betty White: January 17th, 1922
    Rue McClanahan: February 21st, 1935
    Estelle Getty: July 25th, 1924

PiperPrueLover4

[24]Jul 10, 2008
    • level: 18
    I'm just saying, if the others wanted to continue then Bea should have continued with them. It wasn't fair of her to decide for the other three that the show was going to end. That's why I applaud them with trying Golden Palace.

stellarchick86

[25]Jul 11, 2008
    telvisnostic wrote:
    Estelle had to be in make-up for I think it was either 45 minutes or an hour or so to make her look that old as well as put the wig on.

First off, thank you. And second of all, wow thats crazy I had no idea. Is it because they needed someone who was sharp and witty to play Sophia and a person who was REALLY older by a few years than the other girls wouldnt be able to do that, because basically theyd be too old? I didnt know Bea was only 1 year younger than Betty either.
    PiperPrueLover4 wrote:
    I'm just saying, if the others wanted to continue then Bea should have continued with them. It wasn't fair of her to decide for the other three that the show was going to end. That's why I applaud them with trying Golden Palace.
    Well thats what Im saying, sort of. If the other girls wanted to keep going, they couldve kept it as "GG" but just not had Dorothy, or killed her off or something, so it didnt end just because Bea left. If the other 3 wanted to continue, and she didnt, and the producers didnt do anything about it, then Id say thats messed up. There are other shows where a character has left and they kept going so it just doesnt seem as big of a deal to me I guess, IDK.

telvisnostic

[26]Jul 12, 2008
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    telvisnostic wrote:

First off, thank you. And second of all, wow thats crazy I had no idea. Is it because they needed someone who was sharp and witty to play Sophia and a person who was REALLY older by a few years than the other girls wouldnt be able to do that, because basically theyd be too old? I didnt know Bea was only 1 year younger than Betty either.
    You're welcome. I didn't know the ages until a few years ago when the fansite I visit was put up.

PiperPrueLover4 wrote:
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    Well thats what Im saying, sort of. If the other girls wanted to keep going, they couldve kept it as "GG" but just not had Dorothy, or killed her off or something, so it didnt end just because Bea left. If the other 3 wanted to continue, and she didnt, and the producers didnt do anything about it, then Id say thats messed up. There are other shows where a character has left and they kept going so it just doesnt seem as big of a deal to me I guess, IDK.
    I don't think it could have been really GG due to them being known as the 4 core of the group. It would have been odd to see it that way.

Edited on 07/12/2008 11:52am

stellarchick86

[27]Jul 13, 2008
    telvisnostic wrote:
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    telvisnostic wrote:

You're welcome. I didn't know the ages until a few years ago when the fansite I visit was put up.

PiperPrueLover4 wrote:
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    I don't think it could have been really GG due to them being known as the 4 core of the group. It would have been odd to see it that way.

Yeah, thats true..

Does anyone happen to have pics of Estelle without all the makeup and just looking "normal" ? Im still in shock over this lol and Ive been watching GG since and still dont know how in the world shes younger. I know the wig and old lady clothes and the glasses dont help, but even in the face/wrinkles she still looks older, and back then they didnt even have the prosthetics they do now to look way older.

telvisnostic

[28]Jul 13, 2008

stellarchick86 wrote:
    telvisnostic wrote:
    Yeah, thats true..

Does anyone happen to have pics of Estelle without all the makeup and just looking "normal" ? Im still in shock over this lol and Ive been watching GG since and still dont know how in the world shes younger. I know the wig and old lady clothes and the glasses dont help, but even in the face/wrinkles she still looks older, and back then they didnt even have the prosthetics they do now to look way older.

Here are some:

eg

Very good photo collage of her

stellarchick86

[29]Jul 14, 2008
    telvisnostic wrote:

stellarchick86 wrote:
    telvisnostic wrote:
    Yeah, thats true..

Here are some:

eg

Oh, wow, thank you! Very intersting to see her without all the makeup and what not. IDK, I think Im crazy because for the most part, with the cast photos, she still looks older to me. Theres a pic of her with Rue and Betty and she doesnt look that old, but for the most part, I still see it. But I think its just me because Im really bad at guessing peoples ages by what they look anyway. I have a friend whos 25 or 26..I think 25..lol..anyway and she looks like 20-21 to me (and others have said something along the same lines too), so I think I just dont have that nack.

telvisnostic

[30]Jul 14, 2008
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    telvisnostic wrote:
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    telvisnostic wrote:
    Yeah, thats true..

Here are some:

eg

Oh, wow, thank you! Very intersting to see her without all the makeup and what not. IDK, I think Im crazy because for the most part, with the cast photos, she still looks older to me. Theres a pic of her with Rue and Betty and she doesnt look that old, but for the most part, I still see it. But I think its just me because Im really bad at guessing peoples ages by what they look anyway. I have a friend whos 25 or 26..I think 25..lol..anyway and she looks like 20-21 to me (and others have said something along the same lines too), so I think I just dont have that nack.
    You're very welcome. When I found out teh ages of all 4 women I was stunned as well.

stellarchick86

[31]Jul 19, 2008
    Its funny- I was watching an episode yesterday of GG where Dorothy tells Sophia that shes pregnant and going to marry Stan (it was a flashback), I forget which one it was called but, Estelle was just regular without all the makeup, kind of frumpy clothes, glasses, etc and she looks much much younger! I didnt really realize it as much with those pics because they were mostly them on the set and I just didnt see it, but in that episode I really did. They must really cake on the makeup or something lol! I can definetly see how she might be younger than Bea.

frucheydragon

[32]Jul 22, 2008
    • level: 4
    th77 wrote:
    PiperPrueLover4 wrote:

"Maude" and "The Golden Girls" both ended because she wanted to leave. It isn't like she had more pressing matters, so why would she keep leaving? I find it really irritating that The Golden Girls could have had at least a Season 8 had it not been for her wanting to leave.

I don't buy the "leave when on top" thing, that is an unacceptable reason!!!

Well she is not obligated to stay on a show when she feels ready to move on,her pressing matter may have just been she was tired she was the oldest member of the cast and may have not been up to continuing with the grueling schedule involved with filming a tv show and yes I know the other woman were older too but just causethey were not tired does not mean she wasn't and I too would've liked to see the show continue longer but in all reality there was a season 8 w/o her it was called golden palace

I thought she wanted to go back to the stage. But I agree. She wanted to leave. No one can force her to stay if she doesn't want to. It's like with any other job. People get to the point where they want ot move on, do ohter things, live their own lives. She doesn't owe it to anyone else to continue working if she needs fulfillment in other parts of her life. By leaving when she did, that show got such agreat ending. So much of the time shows get cancelled and there's never a real "ending" for them. This way, it went on a high note.