The Golden Girls Forums

NBC (ended 1992)

Breaking News:The Girls are moving to the Hallmark Channel next year

telvisnostic

[1]Mar 29, 2008
    • level: 52
    It's all in here:
    The Hallmark Channel and WE tv have acquired the cable rights to The Golden Girls starting in March  2009 in a shared cable deal.
    What do you guys and gals think? 

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

millerem99

[2]Mar 31, 2008
    • level: 51
    One year from now, huh? That's still good news. The Golden Girls was one of the last decent shows to air regularly on Lifetime; Hallmark is taking on a lot of the oldies but goodies.

telvisnostic

[3]Mar 31, 2008

millerem99 wrote:
    One year from now, huh? That's still good news. The Golden Girls was one of the last decent shows to air regularly on Lifetime; Hallmark is taking on a lot of the oldies but goodies.
    I agree.

They tried their hand with Desgining Women (a personal fave of mine), Murphy Brown and other shows. But The Girls is what made the channel really popular.

mvscali89

[4]Apr 1, 2008
    • level: 29

Oh I don't think I get the Hallmark Channel....well I'm not sure, but I highly doubt it.

I hope it still airs Golden Girls on Lifetime!

telvisnostic, do you mean that Lifetime has aired Designing Women and Murphy Brown before? Or did you mean Hallmark has?

Edited on 04/01/2008 8:20pm

telvisnostic

[5]Apr 2, 2008
    mvscali89 wrote:
    Oh I don't think I get the Hallmark Channel....well I'm not sure, but I highly doubt it.

I hope it still airs Golden Girls on Lifetime!

telvisnostic, do you mean that Lifetime has aired Designing Women and Murphy Brown before? Or did you mean Hallmark has?

I get the Hallmark Channel but never watch it. I don't even know what they play on it unless my mom tells me.

Oh I meant that Lifetime has aired those 2 shows in the past.

tb485

[6]Apr 7, 2008
    • level: 8

LIfetime has sure hit the "mother lode" with its late morning line-up of GG, Frasier and Will & Grace. I hope they have something equally as good to replace GG.

I don't remember Lifetime airing Murphy Brown. I though it made it's cable debut on Nick at Night.

telvisnostic

[7]Apr 8, 2008
    tb485 wrote:
    LIfetime has sure hit the "mother lode" with its late morning line-up of GG, Frasier and Will & Grace. I hope they have something equally as good to replace GG.

I don't remember Lifetime airing Murphy Brown. I though it made it's cable debut on Nick at Night.

I really hope they do too. I could see them putting The Nanny from 1-2am. And maybe add more.

Murphy Brown was on their briefly in 2000 from 5-6pm. It sure did not last.

encircleme

[8]Apr 26, 2008
    • level: 1
    Ugh, no. :[ I like the Golden Girls on lifetime..it's more..convenient.

pamhalpert

[9]May 4, 2008
    • level: 14
    encircleme wrote:
    Ugh, no. :[ I like the Golden Girls on lifetime..it's more..convenient.

That's OK. I have Lifetime, Hallmark, and WE.

historyseeker22

[10]May 13, 2008
    • level: 45
    Hmmm... I know Hallmark likes to edit out a lot of things on their shows. There are a lot of scenes deleted from Walker, Texas Ranger, and from Little House on the prairie. I hope they don't edit out any scenes from Golden Girls.

tbys1980

[11]Jun 3, 2008
    • level: 15
    You may not notice it but Lifetime does that too.

PiperPrueLover4

[12]Jun 13, 2008
    • level: 18
    When I first scanned the page I read this thread as something to do with a Golden Girls movie.

In comparison, this news just isn't that exciting lol

Sweeeaaaterrr

[13]Jun 22, 2008
    • level: 15
    If they do start airing it on Hallmark, they better not take it off Lifetime or I'll be really upset. Lifetime is where I watch all my favorite comedies, including GG! Plus I'm not sure if I get the Hallmark Channel at my college. They have Lifetime, but if it doesn't come on Lifetime anymore, I might miss it if they don't have Hallmark at my college.

bjlaurie

[14]Jun 27, 2008
    • level: 1

Actually it is just Hallmark that has bought the rights and not WE TV. Although this story says that it isn't "exclusive", Lifetime it taking them off the schedule Feb 2009. See the attached story:

UPFRONT & CENTER: The Golden Girls to Move to Hallmark Channel Emmy Award-Winning Show from Disney-ABC Domestic Television to Leave Lifetime Television After February 2009 By Anne Becker -- Broadcasting & Cable, 3/26/2008 12:01:00 AM

Hallmark Channel has bought the rights to The Golden Girls from Disney-ABC Domestic Television.

The Emmy Award-winning show will begin running on the cable network after February 2009, when it will leave its longtime home, Lifetime Television. The deal does not give Hallmark exclusive rights, however.

"The Golden Girls has been on our wish list for a long time, so we're delighted to reach this agreement," said Michelle Vicary, Hallmark's senior vice president of acquisitions and scheduling. "This is the perfect complement to our schedule of family-friendly programming."

Golden has run on Lifetime since March 1, 1997, and while it has a devoted core fan base, it takes up a big chunk of its schedule -- six episodes per day -- and doesn't bring in huge enough ratings to justify such a big presence for a network trying to establish branding based on its original programming.

Last week's most-viewed episode averaged about 800,000 viewers at 1 a.m. on a Thursday night, according to Nielsen Media Research.

The show, produced by ABC Studios, ran for seven seasons beginning in 1985.

Hallmark announced the acquisition at its upfront presentation to press Tuesday night at New York's Museum of Modern Art.

The network made several other announcements, among them the acquisition of 99 classic family Disney movies also from Disney-ABC Domestic TV, including The Shaggy Dog, Flubber, Old Yeller, The Parent Trap, The Incredible Journey, The Princess Diaries and Freaky Friday. They will run on Hallmark and sister channel Hallmark Movie Channel.

"The 'classic' series will depart our schedule after a 12-year run to make room for our next generation of off-net comedies such as the very popular Reba, Still Standing and Will & Grace, as well as numerous original comedies in development, along with the return of the smash hit Army Wives," Lifetime said in a statement. "We wish Dorothy, Rose, Blanche and Sophia all the best of luck in their new home."

Gaby8529

[15]Jul 1, 2008
    • level: 24
    Nooo!! I don't get the HallMark channel. Oh well.. there's always DVD's

telvisnostic

[16]Jul 2, 2008
    bjlaurie wrote:
    Actually it is just Hallmark that has bought the rights and not WE TV. Although this story says that it isn't "exclusive", Lifetime it taking them off the schedule Feb 2009. See the attached story: UPFRONT & CENTER: The Golden Girls to Move to Hallmark Channel Emmy Award-Winning Show from Disney-ABC Domestic Television to Leave Lifetime Television After February 2009 By Anne Becker -- Broadcasting & Cable, 3/26/2008 12:01:00 AM

Hallmark Channel has bought the rights to The Golden Girls from Disney-ABC Domestic Television.

The Emmy Award-winning show will begin running on the cable network after February 2009, when it will leave its longtime home, Lifetime Television. The deal does not give Hallmark exclusive rights, however.

"The Golden Girls has been on our wish list for a long time, so we're delighted to reach this agreement," said Michelle Vicary, Hallmark's senior vice president of acquisitions and scheduling. "This is the perfect complement to our schedule of family-friendly programming."

Golden has run on Lifetime since March 1, 1997, and while it has a devoted core fan base, it takes up a big chunk of its schedule -- six episodes per day -- and doesn't bring in huge enough ratings to justify such a big presence for a network trying to establish branding based on its original programming.

Last week's most-viewed episode averaged about 800,000 viewers at 1 a.m. on a Thursday night, according to Nielsen Media Research.

The show, produced by ABC Studios, ran for seven seasons beginning in 1985.

Hallmark announced the acquisition at its upfront presentation to press Tuesday night at New York's Museum of Modern Art.

The network made several other announcements, among them the acquisition of 99 classic family Disney movies also from Disney-ABC Domestic TV, including The Shaggy Dog, Flubber, Old Yeller, The Parent Trap, The Incredible Journey, The Princess Diaries and Freaky Friday. They will run on Hallmark and sister channel Hallmark Movie Channel.

"The 'classic' series will depart our schedule after a 12-year run to make room for our next generation of off-net comedies such as the very popular Reba, Still Standing and Will & Grace, as well as numerous original comedies in development, along with the return of the smash hit Army Wives," Lifetime said in a statement. "We wish Dorothy, Rose, Blanche and Sophia all the best of luck in their new home."

Thanks for the update. Maybe Halmark will reprise other old school female sitcoms.

stellarchick86

[17]Jul 10, 2008
    • level: 32
    So if they move it to Hallmark does it mean they just get all their episodes or can they get all the ones they have made of GG regardless? Because Im looking at it as a good thing because Lifetime plays the same 30 episodes or so over and over. Hallmark may bring in episodes Ive never even seen before.

telvisnostic

[18]Jul 10, 2008
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    So if they move it to Hallmark does it mean they just get all their episodes or can they get all the ones they have made of GG regardless? Because Im looking at it as a good thing because Lifetime plays the same 30 episodes or so over and over. Hallmark may bring in episodes Ive never even seen before.
    I believe it's all the episodes from the 7 seasons.

stellarchick86

[19]Jul 11, 2008
    • level: 32
    telvisnostic wrote:
    stellarchick86 wrote:

Thanks. Thats awesome! I only started recording GG maybe 2-3 months ago and already Im in repeats so Im looking at this as a really good thing lol

telvisnostic

[20]Jul 11, 2008
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    telvisnostic wrote:
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    Thanks. Thats awesome! I only started recording GG maybe 2-3 months ago and already Im in repeats so Im looking at this as a really good thing lol
    You're welcome. All the seasons are avaliable on DVD, so if you want to pick them up, you can as well.