The Golden Girls Forums

NBC (ended 1992)

continuity errors and oddities

sitcomfreak

[1]Feb 7, 2006
    • level: 18
    two continuity errors with GG that i noticed are,

1) in the "break-in" episode, rose states that she's afraid of large dogs. however in the 7th season episode, "questions and answers" the girls get rose a dog named jake, who is on the larger side.

2) during a 4th season ep. dorothy tells rose that she's known her for over 5 years. however, every other time the number of years they knew each other were mentioned, it matched up to the shows premiere year, 1985.

an oddity, if you look closely when they come back from commericals, if it's a night shot, you'll notice many times a light comes on in a window on to the left of the house.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

flashgarrick

[2]Feb 7, 2006
    • level: 10
    Have any of these been in the "Trivia" section before? If not, they should be.

Random862

[3]Feb 8, 2006
    • level: 7

1) in the "break-in" episode, rose states that she's afraid of large dogs. however in the 7th season episode, "questions and answers" the girls get rose a dog named jake, who is on the larger side.

- Maybe she got over her fear. People do that Plus she liked Dryfess the St. Bernard.

2) during a 4th season ep. dorothy tells rose that she's known her for over 5 years. however, every other time the number of years they knew each other were mentioned, it matched up to the shows premiere year, 1985.

- I don't recall that.

an oddity, if you look closely when they come back from commericals, if it's a night shot, you'll notice many times a light comes on in a window on to the left of the house.

- What's odd about that? Could be a neighbours house, a burglar spot light....

port5170

[4]Feb 8, 2006
    • level: 12
    Betty Whites love of animals would of explained why tyhat minor diference was changed.. plus as it was said when she got to know Dreyfess better she could of got over that fear..

dramafreezone

[5]May 12, 2006
    • level: 16

When Nancy Walker guest starred as Sophia's sister, it was stated that they were the last of the family.  Later a brother (Angelo) shows up.

CharmedBoi

[6]May 14, 2006
    • level: 9

Yea, People get overthier fears

Sophia forgot her brother tsk tsk Maybe decided to add her having a brother later in season?

Edited on 05/14/2006 2:11am

tv247

[7]May 14, 2006
    • level: 20

sitcomfreak wrote:
    In the "Break-in" episode, Rose states that she's afraid of large dogs. however in a 7th season episode the girls get rose a dog who is on the larger side .

Yes, or it could just be a writing error. "Break In" was a first-season episode, and "Questions and Answers" was a seventh season episode. Think about it.

Monk10000

[8]May 20, 2006
    • level: 13
    Now that u metion it i do recall the whole dog thing

dramafreezone

[9]May 26, 2006
    • level: 16

(season 5) Miles reveals he's in the witness protection program and had to leave everything back in Chicago.

(season 4) Miles daughter, Caroline, visits Miles and tells Rose to stay away from him.

If he was in the witness protection program, how did his daughter visit him, was she in the protection program also?

ToniMontana804

[10]Jun 16, 2006
    • level: 15

Probably a goof on the writer's part. 

Here's another one: In one episode, Dorothy said that Rose is allergic to cats, but when Rose first met Blanche, she was holding a cat.

Edited on 06/16/2006 7:24pm

boromirbeauty

[11]Jun 22, 2006
    • level: 61
    In an episode from season 1, Blanche's sister Virginia comes to visit her. In the episode Blanche is telling Rose how she hates her sister Virginia. Rose replies that she can't understand how someone could hate her own sister.

A few seasons later Rose's sister Holly comes to visit her and Rose tells the girls that she hates her sister Holly. She even says, right before letting her into the house, "God I can't stand this woman!"

That sounds like a goof to me.

LatinPassion

[12]Aug 6, 2007
    • level: 7
    The Actor who played Miles also played Arnie. Not sure if this would count as a goof though. Maybe more of a casting goof.

I never got the part where Sophia says she promised her mother on her death bed she'd marry someone or become a nun ( the episode where Uncle Angelo reveals he's not truly a priest.) and Sophia says she had her own life to live. I was like wait a minute didn't they mention and even show flashbacks of Dorothy's grandmother with Sophia already being married. I always took that to be a way of Sophia avoiding the subject of her annuled marriage.

belleblood

[13]Aug 10, 2007
    • level: 15

LatinPassion wrote:
    The actor who played Miles also played Arnie. Not sure if this would count as a goof though. Maybe more of a casting goof.

I've heard that the audience (and apparently the producers) liked the chemistry between Betty and Harold so much, they brought him back as a long-running character.

CrazyLady9

[14]Dec 17, 2007
    • level: 6

I don't think the creators, producers et all were really all that concerned with continuity. It was all about the laughs. You have to remember, this series was made before this whole internet boom, before the intense scrutiny and disections of message boards.

Personally, I don't look at any of the "continuity problems" made during the last season at all. Everyone knew going into the seventh season that it would be the last one of the series, and instead of going in all gloomy and sombre, they used the last season as a clean slate where they could try new storylines and angles you would've seen if the series was to continue. The idea of Rose and Blanche changing roles, Dorothy suddenly being popular withthe men, etc, were all fun bits of fluff.

ecgirl08

[15]Dec 20, 2007
    • level: 57

Blanche's daughter Janet had at least three different children over the course of the show. She had a 14-year-old boyin Season 1's "On Golden Girls," then she just had a 7-year-old girl in Season 7's "Beauty and the Beast," and there was no mention of the son whatsoever. Then, later in Season 7, in "Home Again Rose, Parts 1 and 2," Janet had a 4-year-old little girl named Sarah, and nothing about Melissa is mentioned.

There were times when Blanche said she was a stunningly beautiful child, and other times when she said she was ugly and awkward. The continuity errors were constant, but for me, I didn't really care all that much.

jupitermoon3

[16]May 5, 2009
    • level: 1
    On the subject of Sophia's arranged marriage: I don't know the episode names or seasons, but in one episode, we find out Sophia was married once before she married Dorothy's father, and the marriage was annuled. The man's name was Guido. She says it was arranged when she was nine years old, I believe. In a different episode, where they were attending Dorothy's god-daughter's wedding, Sophia tells a completely different story; she says there was an arranged marriage planned for her and a man named Giuseppe. He left her at the altar and fled to the U.S. on a boat. She had placed a curse on him and was still very bitter. Am I missing something here? That's a pretty big flaw, I think, her parents wouldn't have arranged marriages with two different men...

Tycaree9723

[17]May 24, 2009
    • level: 2
    I dont know if this one counts but has anyone realised that the cast of the Golden Girls wore their clothes twice I saw Rose and Blanche in the same outfit on two different episodes and it was not a continuation. Check it out. And most TV shows dont allow their characters to wear the same clothes twice not that it was a problem that they were wearing the same clothes twice because that brought a sense of realism to the show. Im just saying.

chaosrainz

[18]May 26, 2009
    • level: 17
    CrazyLady9 wrote:

I don't think the creators, producers et all were really all that concerned with continuity. It was all about the laughs. You have to remember, this series was made before this whole internet boom, before the intense scrutiny and disections of message boards.

Personally, I don't look at any of the "continuity problems" made during the last season at all. Everyone knew going into the seventh season that it would be the last one of the series, and instead of going in all gloomy and sombre, they used the last season as a clean slate where they could try new storylines and angles you would've seen if the series was to continue. The idea of Rose and Blanche changing roles, Dorothy suddenly being popular withthe men, etc, were all fun bits of fluff.

Exactly. And as the episodes aired weeks apart and sometimes months and years apart over the life of the show, your typical viewer who saw a show once wouldn't remember all this. Most of these errors in shows now only come to light after they go into syndication or onto dvd and fans view shows and seasons back to back and thus have fresher memories of what has been said.

thorgaad

[19]Jun 12, 2009
    • level: 2

jupitermoon3 wrote:
    On the subject of Sophia's arranged marriage: I don't know the episode names or seasons, but in one episode, we find out Sophia was married once before she married Dorothy's father, and the marriage was annuled. The man's name was Guido. She says it was arranged when she was nine years old, I believe. In a different episode, where they were attending Dorothy's god-daughter's wedding, Sophia tells a completely different story; she says there was an arranged marriage planned for her and a man named Giuseppe. He left her at the altar and fled to the U.S. on a boat. She had placed a curse on him and was still very bitter. Am I missing something here? That's a pretty big flaw, I think, her parents wouldn't have arranged marriages with two different men...

It would be hard to call it a flaw when it's just something Sophia tells us. Sophia makes up stuff all the time. The only thing we can be sure of is that Guido actually exists. We know that because Sophia traveled to Sicily to speak with him.

Edited on 06/12/2009 8:19am

dancingbeatle

[20]Sep 19, 2009
    • level: 45
    Would this count as one? Various times it has been mentioned in the show that Dorthy had Michael when she was 17. In the show she played in her 50's or 60's, right? Even notice that the oldest age the actor playing Michael was that of 29, but Dorthy was not 46.