The Golden Girls Forums

NBC (ended 1992)

Does anyone know...

millerem99

[1]Mar 19, 2009
    • level: 51

why so much of the dialogue in the currently running TV episodes has been edited out? Lifetime was guilty of it, and now Hallmark has aired them severely sliced and diced as well. There are some really comical parts that these stations have simply slashed, often to the detriment of the plot, too.

I'm wondering if Hallmark bought them edited like that? And why do they do it, to give more commercial air-time? It's awful.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

telvisnostic

[2]Mar 19, 2009
    • level: 52

I noticed in the episode "Joust Between Friends", they edited out the "I used to be around a bunch of **** myself" on Hallmark. Hallmark is a family station, so that could be why.

WEtv hasn't done that yet.

Edited on 03/19/2009 9:57am

halp123

[3]Mar 20, 2009
    • level: 9
    I think that it's for commercial air time. They have to cut the shows to put in more ads to get the ad dollars to put the shows on the air. Did that make since? Anyway that's what I think.

M

millerem99

[4]Mar 20, 2009
    I figured it was for more advertising time. But I'm wondering whether they have to do that or if stations have just gotten greedy. Hallmark edits Little House on the Prairies really badly, too, so I know it's not just for content.

wheelrchair

[5]Mar 21, 2009
    • level: 15
    Hallmark is a family oriented station, so there will be scenes with suggestive dialouge that will be skipped. That's just my guess.

telvisnostic

[6]Mar 21, 2009
    wheelrchair wrote:
    Hallmark is a family oriented station, so there will be scenes with suggestive dialogue that will be skipped. That's just my guess.
    I agree. Curse will be edited out, but all the sexy talk, they might leave in.

millerem99

[7]Mar 23, 2009

Yeah, but Lifetime edited it out, too and they have no scruples about anything, and Hallmark is now editing out portions of stuff that is not suggestive. For example, in "Big Daddy's Little Lady" they edited out the part where Dorothy says to Rose [sic], "Care to tickle the ivories, Rose" and she says "Coochey coochey coo" and later they edited out the entire disagreement that they had about whether to use "thrice" in the song, etc. The fact that Hallmark is also heavily editing Little House, which was a family show, shows that it has little to do with content.

Whether they need or simply want more advertising dollars, it's really disappointing because they're omitting some great laugh lines. Are the DVD's cut this badly as well?

kravitzfan12

[8]Apr 27, 2009
    • level: 34
    millerem99 wrote:
    Are the DVD's cut this badly as well?
    The DVDs are shown in the episodes entirety... I'm not sure if they are exactly the same as when they were broadcast, but they are definitely the complete episodes, not scaled down at all.

millerem99

[9]Apr 28, 2009
    kravitzfan12 wrote:
    millerem99 wrote:
    Are the DVD's cut this badly as well?
    The DVDs are shown in the episodes entirety... I'm not sure if they are exactly the same as when they were broadcast, but they are definitely the complete episodes, not scaled down at all.

Thanks!

laurameyer

[10]May 15, 2009
    • level: 58
    millerem99 wrote:

why so much of the dialogue in the currently running TV episodes has been edited out? Lifetime was guilty of it, and now Hallmark has aired them severely sliced and diced as well. There are some really comical parts that these stations have simply slashed, often to the detriment of the plot, too.

I'm wondering if Hallmark bought them edited like that? And why do they do it, to give more commercial air-time? It's awful.

I think the contract say they have to edit it to fix broadcast standards even though it is a cable network.

charley28

[11]May 19, 2009
    • level: 66
    Either way, when We & Hallmark took over, they've both severly edited them. My only problem is that, they knew that there was suggestive language/situations in it when they took over the rights to them, why decide to edit them. Golden Girls was on Lifetime for a very long time and they played them the way that they were without any edits. I think it was pretty much the way they did when originally aired. I'm just glad that I have all the series on DVD. It's so much easier to watch an episode that you know the punchline is coming up and not have it edited out.

telvisnostic

[12]May 19, 2009
    I don't get why WE has edited the shows since they have shows that overly suggestive i.e. Bad Girls Club and Secret Lives of Women.