The Golden Girls Forums

NBC (ended 1992)

DVD Outrage!!!

Allaniain

[1]Mar 19, 2006
    • level: 13
    Am I the only British person thats is fuming??!!
    According to @ccess the golden girls website :

"This afternoon I received the disappointing news that The Golden Girls Complete Fourth Season and The Complete Fifth Season will not be released on Region 2 DVD in the UK. This news comes just a month after Buena Vista confirmed that Season Four would be released in the UK on June 5th. I’m sure that UK fans and European fans who buy the Region 2 set will be terribly disappointed with this news.

If you have a multi-region DVD player then you will be able to play the Region 1 DVD’s perfectly on your system. That seems to only alternative right now. You can order Seasons 1 through to 5 from Amazon by following the links on the homepage. You can also discuss this at our forums which I’m sure will become a hot topic.

If anything changes we’ll be the first to let you know"

AND

"A few days ago we brought you the disappointing news that plans to release Season 4 and 5 to Region 2 [UK/Europe] DVD have been dropped, despite June 5th being penned as the release date for Season 4. We now know one of the reasons for this and it appears to be down to poor sales. Apparently the Golden Girls didn’t go down very well in the UK.

As you can imagine, this has become a hot topic in our forums with a lot of infuriated fans disappointed at the plans to stop at Season 3"

I am extremely upset. Please tell me this isnt true or is only rumours. Im gonna cry if its true.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

real_stingy

[2]Sep 24, 2006
    • level: 2
    get over it!

boromirbeauty

[3]Sep 24, 2006
    • level: 61
    That sucks if you all in the UK can't the show. :\

mediashark

[4]Oct 21, 2006
    • level: 6
    I am not from the UK but I have to say it is an outrage. You Know I read somewhere that the Queen and the Queen Mother were both really huge fans of the show!

Sedgley

[5]Jan 2, 2007
    • level: 1
    I agree with you Allaniain, I live in the UK and I'm very disappointed that Buena Vista has decided not release any further GG DVD's in the region 2 format.I have a media centre and can only watch region 2.

If I want to watch season 4-7 I will have to purchase another external DVD player.

I must say I think it's rather short sighted of Buena Vista, they must have had reasonable sales for them to have previously announced the June 5th release date.

Maybe they should do a little more marketing here in the UK. The Golden Girls was a very popular programme over here, I'm sure with a little more advertising they could sell a lot more DVD's.

tv247

[6]Jan 8, 2007
    • level: 20
    I feel bad for you guys. If you wanna get the Girls on DVD, you should buy a multi-region DVD player, and then just order the seasons not released in the UK off of Amazon. It may be a little pricier, but I think it would be worth the few extra bucks.

tansydog

[7]Jun 4, 2007
    • level: 4
    What a shame

Oh well, the imports are cheaper anyway. Don't understand why they'd only release the first 3 though, the sales can't have been that bad.

Many DVD players can be handset-hacked to make them multiregion, try googling the make and model of your player plus 'handset hack' or 'multiregion hack'. Amazon.co.uk usually has cheap multiregion players available if that doesn't work out for you.

day-O

[8]Jun 5, 2007
    • level: 18

But in the UK, at least they show them unedited, unlike here so I would just copy every episode onto a DVD, and there ya have it--the complete season, uncut

blizair09

[9]Jun 6, 2007
    • level: 10
    That's crazy.  All the seasons have sold like hot cakes over here.  I'd just pay the extra cash and buy them.  Until then, check out the episodes on youtube!