TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

The Golden Girls Forums

NBC (ended 1992)

DVD question

tv247

[1]Jan 7, 2006
    • level: 20
    Are the DVDs syndicated cuts?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

floberdobdob

[2]Jan 7, 2006
    • level: 9
    no, i'm sure some parts of the syndicated ones are cut out, in fact i'm positive b/c if you watch the DVDs you'll hear lines you dont see in syndication.

MTMFan

[3]Jan 7, 2006
    • level: 11
    floberdobdob wrote:
    no, i'm sure some parts of the syndicated ones are cut out, in fact i'm positive b/c if you watch the DVDs you'll hear lines you dont see in syndication.

Yeah these DVD's are def. uncut. Sometimes Lifetime cuts out some really good lines, too!

tornadochaser

[4]Jan 9, 2006
    • level: 4
    A good example of that is in the Christmas episode and the girls are at the airport and a hari krishna approaches Sophia and she calls him a chrome dome. Lifetime cuts that entire scene out

RipHer2Shreds

[5]Jan 9, 2006
    • level: 3
    tornadochaser wrote:
    A good example of that is in the Christmas episode and the girls are at the airport and a hari krishna approaches Sophia and she calls him a chrome dome. Lifetime cuts that entire scene out

Yes, those scenes are cut when shown on television, but it's not the station that airs them (in these cases, Lifetime TV) that does the editing. They're released by the distributor in edited fashion. It's common with syndicated releases of most shows so that more commercial time can be squeezed in. Yay! Thank goodness the DVD versions aren't the syndicated release. This happened with the first season release of Roseanne.

tornadochaser

[6]Jan 9, 2006
    • level: 4
    RipHer2Shreds wrote:
    tornadochaser wrote:

Yes, those scenes are cut when shown on television, but it's not the station that airs them (in these cases, Lifetime TV) that does the editing. They're released by the distributor in edited fashion. It's common with syndicated releases of most shows so that more commercial time can be squeezed in. Yay! Thank goodness the DVD versions aren't the syndicated release. This happened with the first season release of Roseanne.

It also happened with all of the DVD releases (at least all of the ones I've seen so far) of the show "Little House on the Prairie." Such a shame that the DVD release of a show would be edited and cut so badly, and not just the first season but apparently all of them :/

RipHer2Shreds

[7]Jan 9, 2006
    • level: 3
    tornadochaser wrote:
    RipHer2Shreds wrote:
    tornadochaser wrote:

It also happened with all of the DVD releases (at least all of the ones I've seen so far) of the show "Little House on the Prairie." Such a shame that the DVD release of a show would be edited and cut so badly, and not just the first season but apparently all of them :/

Yeah, it is a shame. Anchor Bay heard from so many fans about the first season of Roseanne that they quickly made sure that the same thing wouldn't happen with season 2. Lo and behold it did not, and season 2 came out only a few months after the first.

At any rate, I'm glad they're releasing the Golden Girls DVD sets more quickly. Spacing them six months apart seemed like an odd release strategy. I'm glad season 4 is just two months away!

sgtpepper1985

[8]Jan 11, 2006
    • level: 14
    I know that the coccain reference was cut from "The Robbery" episode.