The Golden Girls Forums

NBC (ended 1992)

Estelle Getty 1923-2008

PiperPrueLover4

[41]Jul 23, 2008
    • level: 18
    I heard about this yesterday but didn't even think to come on TV.com.

Goodbye, Estelle, we will miss you
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Sweeeaaaterrr

[42]Jul 24, 2008
    • level: 15
    KatieWagnersSis wrote:

I've been dreading this for the longest.

RIP Sophia/Estelle. We'll miss you.

I know

I found out about her being sick a few months ago, and ever since then, I was really scared of losing her. I've been scared of this for a while now. I'm glad she's in heaven though.

charley28

[43]Jul 24, 2008
    • level: 66
    Would you believe that it was this past Sat, that a friend of mine said that Estelle was the only one living and the others had already died. I explained that they were all still alive and that the 3, Bea, Betty & Rue, were recently at the TVLand Awards and that Estelle was suffering from dimensia and wasn't able to attend but the other 3 had wished her well.

Isn't that kind of a coincedence that that conversation came up when it did and no more than a couple days, Estelle passes away. That's kind of eerie, isn't it.

I am so going to miss Estelle. Granted I didn't know her but she always makes me laugh when ever I watched her on GG or GP. It's like one of your family members has left. She's been in everyones homes for such a long time and she'll continue to be.

kravitzfan12

[44]Jul 25, 2008
    • level: 34

(on Friday, July 25th)

Happy Birthday Estelle!

Although you didn't get to spend it with family and fans, please know how much we appretiate you and will always remember you as a tremendous actress!

Happy 85th birthday Estelle!

Topaz101

[45]Jul 25, 2008
    • level: 13
    RIP Estelle /Sopia thank you for all the laughs.

flashgarrick

[46]Jul 25, 2008
    • level: 10
    I was deeply saddened when I first heard of her passing. However, I must say that I was hardly surprised. After reading an article in a tabloid magazine (either Globe or National Enquirer) detailing Estelle's "sad last days," I knew that her time would come very soon.

I wonder what her first thought was when she saw the billboard in the train station reading, "Destination: Heaven."

RIP, Estelle. Thank you for being a friend. And happy 85th, as well.

katyrose24

[47]Jul 25, 2008
    • level: 6
    i almost cried watching the Golden Girls marathon today, its not the same anymore!!!!

Sweeeaaaterrr

[48]Jul 26, 2008

A couple weeks ago, I was watching The Golden Girls, and Sophia came on. When I saw her face, I cried a little. I was really scared for her, being so sick like she was and dying. I... I just... don't know what to say. I can't believe this happened.

*Sends Estelle hugs*

sweet_gabriella

[49]Jul 27, 2008
    • level: 4
    I am really missing Estelle. She always made me laugh on the show. I've only been watching that show for a few months now, but I love it. I loved Sophia. She was hilarious. Rest in peace, Estelle. We love you.

tootbuc69

[50]Jul 27, 2008
    • level: 1
    I think that is unthinkable for Bea Arthur, Betty White and Rue not to show up at Estelle Getty's funeral. Bea said she could not see her that way, it's the last time you will see her. Betty pretty much had the same thing to say, but sent flowers, whoopeeeeeeee! And Rue had "prior commitments". She was probably having someone trowel her makeup on! Well it's a shame that Estelle could not die when rue was free. You should ALL be ashamed of yourselves. I will have a very hard time watching the reruns, which I do everyday. Knowing that Estelle is gone and the other three were just too busy to go say their last goodbye's. It's a total shock to me. I thought they were very close, I guess not. Don't have to guess they proved it. Estelle, we love you and we thank you for the love, the laughter and the wonderful way only you could deliver a line. Love when you had to pick out the nectarine, babysat Dreyfuss, went to apologize to guido spirelli, a particularly moving one was the man with the alzheimers that you met on the beach. They showed that last during the marathon the other day. That empty bench tells it all. May God bless.

claudia40

[51]Jul 29, 2008
    • level: 9
    Just found out myself..THANKS for the laughs my condolences to your friends and family.

Sweeeaaaterrr

[52]Jul 31, 2008

tootbuc69 wrote:
    I think that is unthinkable for Bea Arthur, Betty White and Rue not to show up at Estelle Getty's funeral. Bea said she could not see her that way, it's the last time you will see her. Betty pretty much had the same thing to say, but sent flowers, whoopeeeeeeee! And Rue had "prior commitments". She was probably having someone trowel her makeup on! Well it's a shame that Estelle could not die when rue was free. You should ALL be ashamed of yourselves. I will have a very hard time watching the reruns, which I do everyday. Knowing that Estelle is gone and the other three were just too busy to go say their last goodbye's. It's a total shock to me. I thought they were very close, I guess not. Don't have to guess they proved it. Estelle, we love you and we thank you for the love, the laughter and the wonderful way only you could deliver a line. Love when you had to pick out the nectarine, babysat Dreyfuss, went to apologize to guido spirelli, a particularly moving one was the man with the alzheimers that you met on the beach. They showed that last during the marathon the other day. That empty bench tells it all. May God bless.

Well, you have to understand that sometimes when you know someone for so long, it's hard to see them in this kind of condition (dead). I would have a meltdown if I saw the dead body of someone I loved. I'd be crying like a baby, and a funeral is really hard for me to handle.

But even though they didn't see her at the funeral, that's not the last time they'll have her presence around them.

kravitzfan12

[53]Aug 1, 2008
    • level: 34

My grandmother (who recently died) was in the hospital for a week, in which we had a very strong inclination she was going to pass on. Although I loved her very dearly, I couldn't bring myself to go down and see her. I didn't want my last memory of her to be her struggling on a respirator looking deathly.

I know it may sound heartless, but I think she wouldn't want me to come down and see her that way. She didn't want to remember me sulking around her in her final days.

I think Bea and Betty felt the same way. Thank goodness at my grandmother's funeral there was a closed casket. I know exactly what Bea and Betty were feeling. I don't blame them for not going.

Sweeeaaaterrr

[54]Aug 1, 2008
    kravitzfan12 wrote:

My grandmother (who recently died) was in the hospital for a week, in which we had a very strong inclination she was going to pass on. Although I loved her very dearly, I couldn't bring myself to go down and see her. I didn't want my last memory of her to be her struggling on a respirator looking deathly.

I know it may sound heartless, but I think she wouldn't want me to come down and see her that way. She didn't want to remember me sulking around her in her final days.

I think Bea and Betty felt the same way. Thank goodness at my grandmother's funeral there was a closed casket. I know exactly what Bea and Betty were feeling. I don't blame them for not going.

When I was 18, I had an aunt in the hospital dying of cancer, and I was too scared to go in and see her so sick. She was really awesome, but I didn't wanna go through seeing her like that. I know it would upset me. As much as I did want to see her, I was scared.

dsly4425

[55]Aug 18, 2008
    • level: 6

It's not really fair to judge the surviving three based on the fact that they didn't attend the funeral. I have a friend that passed earlier this year who didn't have a funeral, and two of his children didn't even want to view his body. Some people just don't want their final memory of a person to be that. I would have went to the funeral personally, but I would not cast judgement on them for not doing that. I feel that Betty and Bea had very valid points.

My great grandmother died three years ago in hospital, while I was working on her unt as a student nurse, and I will say that it is very hard to see someone you love in a state like that. Luckily I really don't remember her like that at all even though I saw her weekly during that time, I carry with me the memories of her in better days (she was ill for less than a year before she died).

My best friend was killed in a car accident during our senior year of high school. I remember being at the funeral, which was almost standing room only. I remember parts of the service, and I remember people talking about her mother afterwards, and why she wasn't more upset, and how dare she et al. The reason she wasn't visibly upset was because she was sedated. The last time I knew, her mother was still on antidepressants following that, and at one point a couple years later I remember her telling me she still cried daily.

I am sorry for the rant, but I guess what I wanted to say from all of this is don't judge them based on funeral behavior (or lack of attendance). We really have no idea what happens behind closed doors. I choose to give them the benefit of the doubt, because we all handle things in different ways.

Rest in peace Estelle, hopefully you are in a place where you suffer no more.

tootbuc69

[56]Aug 18, 2008
    • level: 1
    Sweeeaaaterrr, I do believe after these 4 women spent that much time together, they should respect each other even if it takes more effort than they can bare. Remember when the lady dropped dead that had the tree in front of her house? Sophia said she was going to the funeral. Dorothy asked, but Ma, you didn't even like her. Sophia responded, you have to show the guy upstairs, you respect life and pay your last respects. That's what I believe and no excuse will do, when someone has passed and one doesn't have "the time" to go say goodbye. I have not watched the program since Estelle died. I can't bring myself to watch and no what I know how they really feel.

millerem99

[57]Aug 20, 2008
    • level: 51
    I don't know the circumstances either...I will say it seems very strange that none of the three would attend the funeral after working so closely with her all those years. Most everyone feels uncomfortable at a viewing, and if it's that terrible you don't have to go up to the casket. Perhaps they didn't want to look their own mortality in the eye?

Sweeeaaaterrr

[58]Aug 21, 2008

tootbuc69 wrote:
    Sweeeaaaterrr, I do believe after these 4 women spent that much time together, they should respect each other even if it takes more effort than they can bare. Remember when the lady dropped dead that had the tree in front of her house? Sophia said she was going to the funeral. Dorothy asked, but Ma, you didn't even like her. Sophia responded, you have to show the guy upstairs, you respect life and pay your last respects. That's what I believe and no excuse will do, when someone has passed and one doesn't have "the time" to go say goodbye. I have not watched the program since Estelle died. I can't bring myself to watch and no what I know how they really feel.

Maybe you should put yourself in their shoes. They're hurting enough.

Sweeeaaaterrr

[59]Aug 21, 2008
    dsly4425 wrote:

It's not really fair to judge the surviving three based on the fact that they didn't attend the funeral. I have a friend that passed earlier this year who didn't have a funeral, and two of his children didn't even want to view his body. Some people just don't want their final memory of a person to be that. I would have went to the funeral personally, but I would not cast judgement on them for not doing that. I feel that Betty and Bea had very valid points.

My great grandmother died three years ago in hospital, while I was working on her unt as a student nurse, and I will say that it is very hard to see someone you love in a state like that. Luckily I really don't remember her like that at all even though I saw her weekly during that time, I carry with me the memories of her in better days (she was ill for less than a year before she died).

My best friend was killed in a car accident during our senior year of high school. I remember being at the funeral, which was almost standing room only. I remember parts of the service, and I remember people talking about her mother afterwards, and why she wasn't more upset, and how dare she et al. The reason she wasn't visibly upset was because she was sedated. The last time I knew, her mother was still on antidepressants following that, and at one point a couple years later I remember her telling me she still cried daily.

I am sorry for the rant, but I guess what I wanted to say from all of this is don't judge them based on funeral behavior (or lack of attendance). We really have no idea what happens behind closed doors. I choose to give them the benefit of the doubt, because we all handle things in different ways.

Rest in peace Estelle, hopefully you are in a place where you suffer no more.

Thanks. I can't even imagine the dead body of a loved one without feeling sad.

Wanted23

[60]Aug 22, 2008
    • level: 33
    Can't believe it's been a month... RIP.