The Golden Girls Forums

NBC (ended 1992)

Other shows the ladies were on before GG, did you wtach them?

telvisnostic

[1]Jan 8, 2007
    • level: 52

I watched Maude (which feature Bea and Rue), Mama's Family (which featured Betty and Rue) and movies (Stop or My Mom Will Shoot and Bringing Down The House) they were in.

I did not like The Mary Tyler Moore show, so I stayed away from it.

I saw the Simpsons episode where Betty White was on PBS and Futurama where Bea Arthur was the voice of a robot.

Anyone else seen anything else with them in it?  I'm sure I left a few out.

Edited on 01/08/2007 9:12pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MilhousesDad

[2]Jan 10, 2007
    • level: 3
    yeah i know Betty&Rue were on Mama's Family and yeah i seen that Simpson's with Betty too

BTW(By The Way) cool Eddie Homage i was saddened when i heard on a during a packers radio game newsbreak back in '05 of his OD'ing in a Minneapolis Hotel room

Sedgley

[3]Jan 10, 2007
    • level: 1
    Here in the UK we didn't get to see Maude or All in the Family (which is such a shame because they were so funny). However, these days through the internet and especially Youtube we do get to see clips.

There is one clip of All in the Family on Youtube at the moment featuring Rue McClanahan. And I must say it's the worst piece of casting ever. Don't get me wrong, it's very funny. But there is no way on this earth that Rue would have been married to that guy. Here's the link, do you agree?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6BjxgYxFkU

telvisnostic

[4]Jan 10, 2007

MilhousesDad wrote:
    yeah i know Betty&Rue were on Mama's Family and yeah i seen that Simpson's with Betty too

BTW(By The Way) cool Eddie Homage i was saddened when i heard on a during a packers radio game newsbreak back in '05 of his OD'ing in a Minneapolis Hotel room

Thanks.  It took me days to find a really good one of him too.  I had to go to an Italian webbie. 

telvisnostic

[5]Jan 10, 2007
    Sedgley wrote:
    There is one clip of All in the Family on Youtube at the moment featuring Rue McClanahan. And I must say it's the worst piece of casting ever. Don't get me wrong, it's very funny. But there is no way on this earth that Rue would have been married to that guy. Here's the link, do you agree? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6BjxgYxFkU
    I agree.  It was awful.

charles64123

[6]Jan 10, 2007
    • level: 7
    I remember seeing Bea Arthur in a classic movie called Mame. She had played along side Lucille Ball in the movie.

J_critic

[7]Jan 11, 2007
    • level: 14
    I don't know if this count, but Betty White guessed starred in a few episodes during 2006 on The Bold and The Beautiful as Stephanie Forrestor's mother!

telvisnostic

[8]Jan 11, 2007
    I didn't even know that, that's awesome.  Go Betty!

ebbydmp

[9]Jan 12, 2007
    • level: 13
    Bea was on an episode of "Macolm in the Middle" playing Dewey's babysitter.

EranE

[10]Jan 14, 2007
    • level: 12
    Maude WAS actually shown in the UK back in the early 90's on SKY ONE. I was 11-12 at the time and would watch it weekdays at 16:00. It had Bea and Rue on it together and it was and remains one of the best written sitcoms in tv history in my humble opinion.

And note this:

Season one of Maude, released March 20th!
    Rue only joins in the second season but its still worth the buy.

telvisnostic

[11]Jan 15, 2007
    Maude was a great show and I look forward to owning it.  It's  shame it ended because Bea didn't want to do it anymore (that's the rumor).  Great writing on that show too.

sgtpepper1985

[12]Jan 15, 2007
    • level: 14
    I saw Estelle Getty with a breif role as Aunt Estelle in Stuart Little. I believe that was the very last role she had  I also have seen Bea in an episode of "Malcolm in the Middle" as a disgruntled babysitter. I have seen Betty White make numerous guest appearences as the exact same character as Ellen in Mama's Family-deceptive and charming. I know I have Betty as a senial babysitter in "Yes Dear." 

MTMFan

[13]Jan 19, 2007
    • level: 11
    I'm a huge fan of "The Mary Tyler Moore Show." (Not just Betty's eps). Her character doesn't actually appear until Season 4, though. As for "Maude," I've seen a couple eps. here and there. I liked what I've seen, but not enough to run out and get it on DVD. I wish TV Land or some other channel would show it.

sitcomfreak

[14]Jan 24, 2007
    • level: 18
    i was not around during the run of maude i was born in '86 but i loved watching maude in reruns.  i bought the entire series from someone off eBay (they were not official) and i've seen every episode
    Edited on 01/24/2007 3:15am

telvisnostic

[15]Jan 24, 2007
    sitcomfreak wrote:
    i was not around during the run of maude i was born in '86 but i loved watching maude in reruns.  i bought the entire series from someone off eBay (they were not official) and i've seen every episode
    Coolness.  How was the quality?  And were they dvd's or vhs?

cuddles3

[16]Jul 8, 2007
    • level: 5

I first saw Bea on All in the Family, where she played Edith's cousin Maude (which is how the show came to be, spun-off from AitF). I watched Maude, & LOVED it! As far as I recall, that was when both Bea & Rue first got facelifts (ladies choice, no bashing!). There was an episode or 2 about facelifts on Maude, it was pretty funny. I did watch MTM Show, Betty was so dang MEAN in that show, that it was truly nice to see her later in Mama's Family & GG as a more normal person (you KNOW what I mean! LOL!). Ellen in MF wasn't nearly as wicked as Sueann. I also loved seeing Betty on game shows, especially when she'd be on Password, which was hosted by her late husband, Allen Ludden (I miss him!). If you've never seen Betty in the film "Lake Placid" - oh my Lord! Prepare yourself, she is VERY foul-mouthed in that movie, & it just cracked me up! I saw Estelle in "Stop Or My Mom Will Shoot" - loved her, hated Stallone, oh well!

Prior to GG, I have always tried to catch everything the girls have done, because they're fantastic. Bea is, was, & always will be my favorite GG actress, simply because I grew up loving her sharp wit. I laughed my butt off when she was on Malcolm in the Middle as Dewey's babysitter - the one he ended up "killing", LOL! (Okay, so it wasn't outright murder, but it was funny as heck!)

May the work of the GG's play on TV forever!

Cuddles