The Golden Girls Forums

NBC (ended 1992)

Sophia

wheelrchair

[1]May 14, 2009
    • level: 15
    Why was it so important to Sophia that Dorothy have a man in her life. In my opinion i think Dorothy alaways turned guys down that Sophia set her up with because she was afraid of being hurt, the way Stan hurt her.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

millerem99

[2]May 15, 2009
    • level: 51
    wheelrchair wrote:
    Why was it so important to Sophia that Dorothy have a man in her life. In my opinion i think Dorothy alaways turned guys down that Sophia set her up with because she was afraid of being hurt, the way Stan hurt her.

I think the implication wasn't so much that Sophia wanted to see Dorothy in a relationship so much as she (Sophia) wanted her freedom. They way she viewed it, if Dorothy was preoccupied with a man, Sophia wouldn't be under her thumb nearly so much. She used the opportunities when Dorothy was away (like on a cruise with a man) to follow her own free will.

telvisnostic

[3]May 15, 2009
    • level: 52

wheelrchair wrote:
    I always felt that she thought Dorothy would be complete with a man. Sophia hada very long relationship with her husband and even though Dorothy did, it was marred by his roving eye and constant cheating.

I do agree that Dorothy felt that she didn't want to be hurt again. Everyone is like that. you get a grieving period. And when someone who has never been in a situation much like Dorothy has, they feel that she must go out there and get a man.

millerem99

[4]May 27, 2009
    • level: 51
    I don't read that much emotional psychology into Sophia's plots to fix up Dorothy. I'm not remembering the episode titles off the top of my head, but there's one episode in which Sophia hires a matchmaking service behind Dorothy's back, and she specifically tells the woman that the reason why she's doing it is so that Dorothy will be out of the house so that she (Sophia) can have a life. In another episode, Sophia tells Dorothy that her sister Gloria is the kind of woman that needs a man. When Dorothy says, "What am I?" Sophia responds, "The kind who should live with her mother." In other instances (Glenn the gym teacher, the Beatle impersonator, Mr. Gordon, Eddie, etc.) Sophia points out to Dorothy that her guys are either losers or are using her. Across the series, Sophia warms up to men who are doctors or otherwise wealthy and prestigious and tries to introduce them to Dorothy, so I think her reasons are more on the practical side.

dancingbeatle

[6]Sep 8, 2009
    • level: 45
    Well there was a Labor Day marathon. Though the episodes were repeated from hours earlier.