The Golden Girls Forums

NBC (ended 1992)

The Saddest Episode

tootbuc69

[21]Jul 28, 2008
    • level: 1
    I heard it on Inside Edition the day of Estelle's funeral. Bea said she could not bear to go, Betty pretty much said the same, but sent flowers and Rue had a prior commitment. I could not believe my ears. Anyway, that's where I heard it and it has been on the news. Sad, isn't it?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

stellarchick86

[22]Jul 31, 2008
    • level: 32

I just saw an episode today, I forget what its called but, its the one where they talk about b-days they had prior to the pilot of the show. And they had a part where Rose has a bday back in St Olaf all by herself and she made a cake for herself and sat there talkin "to" Charlie and told him how much she missed him and wished he was there but shes going to move on and move to Florida and all kinds of stuff.

I almost cried it was so sad I thought. Rose was always the brunt of jokes and seen as a moron, so it was nice to see her have a scene where she could be "normal" and "sad" ya know.

Edited on 07/31/2008 9:58pm

telvisnostic

[23]Aug 1, 2008
    • level: 52
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    I just saw an episode today, I forget what its called but, its the one where they talk about b-days they had prior to the pilot of the show. And they had a part where Rose has a bday back in St Olaf all by herself and she made a cake for herself and sat there talkin "to" Charlie and told him how much she missed him and wished he was there but shes going to move on and move to Florida and all kinds of stuff.

I almost cried it was so sad I thought. Rose was always the brunt of jokes and seen as a moron, so it was nice to see her have a scene where she could be "normal" and "sad" ya know.

That aired yesterday right? It's called: A Piece of Cake.

That scene was very touching.

ecgirl08

[24]Oct 13, 2008
    • level: 57

The one where Phil died is the saddest for me. It was so heartbreaking to watch Sophia blame herself, wondering what she did and when she did it, to make Phil the way he was. It's so natural for mothers to feel that way when things happen with their children, and in this case, you could really feel Sophia's pain.

I really don't like the series finale, either. I can't bear to watch it, actually. It was such a sad way to end things, since the whole premise of the show was these four women living together, and then they chose to conclude it that way. I always wished they had done it differently, but that's just me.

vanlord_52

[25]Nov 11, 2008
    • level: 5

Both parts of the finale were definately the saddest episodes.

To me, the Finale didn't even feel like the rest of the show did to me. I think that everyone was out of character, and everything felt fuzzy like a dream. I thought that The Golden Palace was good, but it definately wasn't the same without the old house, or with Dorothy.

goldengirl1

[26]Jul 1, 2012
    • level: 1

MTMFan wrote:
    I can't even watch the scene on the boardwalk in "Old Friends"! It's really quite moving. But the one that always gets me is the last episode. "You'll always be my sisters. Always." *Sniffle* And then Dorothy kept leaving and coming back, and then she didn't come back. That gets me every time.

I agree, the last one with Dorothy saying that and then coming back, and then not, and them looking for her is the saddest one. I can't even stand to watch it. I cry every time.