The Golden Girls Forums

NBC (ended 1992)

Whose daughter...

LatinPassion

[1]Jul 31, 2007
    • level: 7

Does anyone remember the episode where there's a question as to whether or not Dorothy is actually Sophia's daughter ?

I've seen the episode quite a few times, but the question sometimes lingers. Are we ever confirmed that Dorothy is truly Sophia's daughter or do most of just accept it by default. I know later on we see Dorothy's grandmother and are hit with a huge duh, she's definately Sophia's daughter. But did Sophia actually confirm it with Dorothy. Maybe I missed something when they had their conversation in the living room. I just wanted to clear that up.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

millerem99

[2]Jul 31, 2007
    • level: 51

The episode is called Foreign Exchange.

It was never resolved in the episode whether or not Sophia was linked biologically to Dorothy. In the final scene, she has the DNA results from the hospital and ends up destroying them.

PiperPrueLover4

[3]Aug 2, 2007
    • level: 18
    oh that's frustrating

LatinPassion

[4]Aug 2, 2007
    • level: 7
    I believe she is her biological daughter, because it would've killed the show by putting a huge damper on the relationship we see between them. Not that I personally would see it that way, but its a possiblity for some Sophia and Dorothy fans.

cherrytree34

[5]Aug 13, 2007
    • level: 13
    The point is that it doesn't matter whether they're blood-related, because their bond makes them family. I thought it was a good way to end the show. It made it more powerful to see that they didn't care about blood. Sophia was Dorothy's mother, no matter what.

wheelrchair

[6]Aug 18, 2007
    • level: 15
    That's true. But i would still wonder.

PiperPrueLover4

[7]Aug 25, 2007
    • level: 18
    Lol me too, that's why it frustrates me.

Lexigar

[8]Sep 8, 2007
    • level: 4
    I think it was pretty obvious that they were not blood related. Sophia was more like the other woman and vise versa. They just have a bond and Dorothy didn't want to ruin that with the results. But due to their height differences alone, Sophia couldn't have been her mother. Especially with Sal being not that tall in all the flashbacks that we see of him.

millerem99

[9]Sep 15, 2007
    • level: 51

Lexigar wrote:
    I think it was pretty obvious that they were not blood related. Sophia was more like the other woman and vise versa. They just have a bond and Dorothy didn't want to ruin that with the results. But due to their height differences alone, Sophia couldn't have been her mother. Especially with Sal being not that tall in all the flashbacks that we see of him.

Except for the fact that when Dorothy's sister, Gloria, comes to visit, she is giantess just like Dorothy.

supercin721

[10]Jan 4, 2008
    • level: 30

True, it doesn't really matter. I'd like to think they are but nurture has just as powerful an impact ast nature.

However, the previous poster commented on the physical differences. You can't really make an assumption based on the casting, on the physical makeups of the actors. It's the nature of the beast. You just have to pretend they all look like their siblings or parents.

JavaJunkie4Life

[11]Feb 20, 2008
    • level: 25
    i agree with some of the other posters, the point really wasn't to prove whether they were related or not, it was more to show that regardless of the results they have a mother/daughter bond that can't be broken. personally, i'd like to think that they're biologically related, that they're truly mother and daughter. but regardless, they're bonded for life.