The Golden Girls Forums

NBC (ended 1992)

YOUR Opinions on Season 7 DVD

tv247

[1]Feb 13, 2007
    • level: 20

So, did any of you get it yet? I did!

I walked happily into Target today, picked it, up, went out to dinner (with my mom and brother and family friends), we went to get ice cream, and I came home, opened it up, and I was horrified. My disc two had HUGE scratches on it!! I was mortified. I've only tested bits of it out, and they worked, but I don't wanna take any chances, so sometime this week, I'm going to bring it back and get a new copy.

From what I've seen (a.k.a. 4 mins of the first episode and the "Thank You For Being a Friend" Documentary), I liked it. The documentary is sad, because you see Bea, Rue, and Betty, and they are getting so old. I got depressed just looking at their inputs, and then having clips from the show immediately after they talk.

All in all, I think this is one of the best sets of the series. The packaging is attractive, and the one bonus feature (although only lasting 15 minutes), is worth the money alone, although others might disagree with me.

So, what do you guys think?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

boromirbeauty

[2]Feb 14, 2007
    • level: 61
    I haven't received the set yet but I'm sure, as long as every episode is complete, that I will love it. As for the huge scratches on your disc, I'd take it back. I hate when that happens.

sitcomfreak

[3]Feb 14, 2007
    • level: 18

how could you not have it yet?  i picked it up as soon as my nearest DVD store opened at about 10am.  i for one am outraged and totally pissed for lack for a kinder word at how they advertise on the back of the box "capped off with exclusive bonus material."  bonus material?  it' a 14-minute featurette with the beautiful ladies saying the exact same things they've said over and over again.  it's the same thing as on the 6th season set only 6minutes shorter.  good lord, for this having been one of the most successful series of all times i'm outraged at how disney has screwed it over with bonus material.  i am so angry.  i'm also angry that everybody was right and the final episode did not have a montage just a pic with the girls at altar.

also, in syndication when they used to show the ending credits, the eps. The Monkey Show 1&2 and A Midwinter Night's Dream 1&2 had the instrumental Thank You For Being a Friend with background music. the original network run had credit windows sort of like a newsbroadcast discussing hurricanes and lunar madness respecitively.  since those weren't funn yi'd rather have seen the intrsumental music over the pic for the credits.

all in all, solely due to bonus material this is worst set ever b/c it should've been treated special b/c it was the final season.

charles64123

[4]Feb 14, 2007
    • level: 7
    I just got my DVD set today on Valentine's Day. I am very happy with the final set, but I do agree that there should had been more bonus footage. They could had added the reunion special with this set that had aired on Liftime a while back. But at least all the episodes are complete and sharp!

rainbowman78

[5]Feb 16, 2007
    • level: 4
    I am very displeased with the new set. I wanted some behind the scenes stuff, like bloopers or something else really great. I think the show really got messed up on its DVD release because of all these crappy bonus features on EVERY set. Well, except season 5. I loved the commentaries. Anyways, I'm still crossing my fingers for one of those complete series box sets studios seem to be releasing rather frequently. Maybe then we, the fans, will get what we deserve in regard to bonus features.

boromirbeauty

[6]Feb 17, 2007
    • level: 61
    Alright, I got the DVD's in the mail today. Very happy, but at the same time very disappointed about the lack of features. I would really have liked to see bloopers and maybe even each of the girls winning their emmy awards would have been interesting.

My favorite episode is #2 on this disc so I can't wait to watch.

Fallaya

[7]Feb 18, 2007
    • level: 7

I ordered my DVD set thru Amazon, so it should be in the mail by tomorrow.  I could care less about the "bonus features".  I bought the set to see the EPISODES.  Anything else is just, well, a "bonus"-you know?   I will now have all 7 seasons of my favorite girls!!  I can't wait!!  :-)

TVboy_25

[8]Feb 20, 2007
    • level: 5
    Fallaya wrote:

I ordered my DVD set thru Amazon, so it should be in the mail by tomorrow.  I could care less about the "bonus features".  I bought the set to see the EPISODES.  Anything else is just, well, a "bonus"-you know?   I will now have all 7 seasons of my favorite girls!!  I can't wait!!  :-)

I completly agree. I don't care at all about the bonus crap, I bought the dvd's for the shows and the shows only. If you want to see bonus stuff about the girls, buy the Lifetime Inimate Portait DVD. It features interviews with and about all four women. I for one am VERY VERY happy with the Final Season DVD. Because it was not only the BEST season of the Golden Girls, but because I am happy that at least we were able to buy the entire show in a fairly timely matter. But they are those who can't just be happy with something, always have to find a reason to complain. Will this fan isn't complaining. I am very happy with the dvd. And I am thrilled I have the entire series.

Alias2001

[9]Feb 20, 2007
    • level: 16
    I think the discs should have been black with gold writing, like the cover.

tv247

[10]Feb 21, 2007
    • level: 20

Alias2001 wrote:

w I think so too. I guess the black cover was supposed to represent the mourning of the show's final season (?) and the gold was supposed to represent...well...the show!

TVboy_25

[11]Feb 21, 2007
    • level: 5
    tv247 wrote:

Alias2001 wrote:

w I think so too. I guess the black cover was supposed to represent the mourning of the show's final season (?) and the gold was supposed to represent...well...the show!

Yeah that is what I figured the black was for, mourning over the end. I kinda like that the discs weren't gold and black. They were the same as other seasons, with the girls on them.