The Golden Girls

Isn't It Romantic

Aired Unknown Nov 08, 1986 on NBC

• A classic episode. Dorothy's friend Jean arrives for a visit. Jean has one little secret, she's a lesbian. She gets a crush on Rose. Meanwhile, the girls get a new VCR and Sophia starts renting dirty movies!

This is an outstanding episode. It shows Dorothy's friend Jean, a lesbian, to be a normal everyday person, with real feelings. She develops a crush on Rose, of all people. The scene where she tells Rose her feelings is very sweet. Rose, who is no dummy, knows exactly what Jean is talking about. When she tells Jean that she doesn't understand 'those kind of feelings, but if I did I'd be flattered' is a sweet and genuine way to let Jean down without insulting her for being gay It's a hallmark for the series, and really told viewers in 1985 the truth.
    Also the funniest scene ever takes place with Blanche's reaction to Jean being Lebanese, 'isn't Danny Thomas one?' When Blanche finds out that Jean prefers Rose over her is priceless! "To think Jean would prefer Rose over me. That's ridiculous!" Blanche at her best with Dorothy and Sophia pouring on the laughs.
    A total favorite episode. Love it.