The Golden Girls

My Brother, My Father

Aired Unknown Feb 06, 1988 on NBC

• Stan and Dorthy are force to pretend that they are married.

Sophia's brother Dorthy's Uncle Angelo comes to visit them to celebrate Dorthy and Stan Aniversary.Sophia wants her daughter and Stan,to pretend to be married just for one day for Uncle Angelo.However things doesn't end so great when everyone is stuck in the house due to an storm.For one day only even though the stormy weather was there.Dorthy tried her best to get along with Stan.However doesn't work out all too great.In the end truth are reveal Uncle Angelo learns that Dorthy and Stan,aren't married anymore now divorce.Sophia learns that her brother isn't an priest.

Uncle Angelo becomes kinda part of the series appears few times than go.
  • Uncle Angelo comes to celebrate Dorothy and Stan's "anniversary."

I really enjoyed Blanche and Rose playing nuns and confusing Uncle Angelo especially when Blanche is holding sexy underwear. I also really enjoyed Dorothy and Stan's constant insults back and forth all the while pretending to be married. It was great in the end when they all came clean, including Uncle Angelo, who turned out to not be a priest. This was one of the better episodes of season three.
  • Introducing Uncle Angelo

In another great installment from Season 3, "My Brother, My Father" succeeds in numerous ways. From the consistent string of one-liners that the Golden Girls is so well known for to the great character interaction surrounding Sophia, Dorothy, and Stan -- this episode is another fine achievement for the series.

The Golden Girls works so well because of its multi-layered comedy. Often, imagery is just as uproarious as dialogue. This is no doubt displayed so successfully when Angelo discovers Blanche and Rose, in nun's outfits, arriving back from a rehearsal for "The Sound of Music". So, of course, instead of telling Angelo their true identities, Rose and Blanche decide to keep with the gag. "We're here collecting lingerie for needy, sexy people," Blanche says totally unconvincingly.

When Stan says that a hurricane is headed for Miami, Blanche mutters out, "Oh, Jesus! ... Hear our prayer in this time of need." "Amen!" Dorothy adds.

These scenes are funny because the writers of The Golden Girls made the most out of a situation, usually by making it as awkward and as unbelievable as possible. Thus, when Dorothy and Stan are about at the boiling point, Angelo comes out with an even more preposterous story saying that he is not actually a priest. So, it appears, everyone has been pulling a fast one. But the comedy it evokes is undeniable, and that's the important thing.

Speaking of Dorothy and Stan, great interaction here. Their "bedroom" scene is spectacular. "Stanley, if you're doing what I think you're doing, you're in big trouble." "You're wasting your time, Stanley, I'm familiar with the big gun." "Try to climb over me, and you'll know what barbed wire between your legs feels like!"

The ending was perfectly somber. "Pull yourself together, pussycat. Gershwin confused a lot of people." And we see the true nature of the complexity of the Dorothy-Stan relationship. It's hard to forget 38 years.

"My Brother, My Father" is another plus in The Golden Girls repertoire. Of course, there were few minuses.