The Golden Girls

On Golden Girls

Aired Unknown Oct 26, 1985 on NBC

• This episode is a showcase of each of the girls' morals and ethics, not to mention exceptional writing by Liz Sage.

The best of episode of the first season (personal opinion, of course), this is one that quietly showcases each of the girls' morals and ethics and gives you undertones of how the girls were each raised.

At the center of the episode is Blanche's 14-year-old grandson. He is staying with the girls for two weeks while his parents take a second honeymoon.

David's rebellion quickly shows and it comes to a head when Sophia slaps him after a rude comment.

Sophia demands respect, yet is a strict disciplinarian. "Personally, I like to lay into a kid with a melon baller."

Blanche was raised pretty much free of personal responsibility. "When I was little, I didn't have to do anything. I raised my daughter the same way, and that's why David is the way he is now."

Rose had a solid home life with high morals. "We had chores on the farm, and we had such a sense of accomplishment."

Dorothy is the product of Sophia and a disciplinarian as well. "Blanche, you do what is best for David, not what is easiest for you."

Exceptionally well-written by Liz Sage, this episode not only has some of the best lines of the series, but it brings some real life to it as well.