The Golden Girls

One Flew Out of the Cuckoo's Nest (2)

Aired Unknown May 09, 1992 on NBC

• After seven years, a tearful goodbye...

Although it’s not the final time we see the gang together since Bea Arthur does show up on two episodes of The Golden Palace, it’s still an emotional and amazing episode. The part where Dorothy is trying to leave the house after marrying Blanche’s uncle Lucas had me in tears. She keeps leaving and then comes back twice and hugs the girls. After the final time, she doesn’t come back and you can see just how devastated the rest of the girls, Sophia, Rose, and Blanche are. It was so easy to just how difficult it was for Bea to leave the gang behind. It was emotional for me and I was only 12 years old. It’s evident just how much this cast meant to one another.

It was so nice to see Stan finally let go of Dorothy after all these years of trying to woo her back. It was so sweet when Stan (who somehow ended up as Dorothy’s limo driver) drove her to her wedding ceremony and told her he could let her go now. I half expected him to say something in the church when asked if anyone had any objections, but I knew he wouldn’t. It was clear that Stan was actually glad that Dorothy found someone to make her happy and that Lucas was it.

It was quite obivious that Sophia would decide to stay behind with Blanche and Rose since she did go one and star in The Golden Palace. However, it was wonderful watching her say goodbye to Dorothy alone in their old room and finally telling Dorothy that she was her best friend. Another crying moment for sure.

Seven years of these girls eating cheesecakes, bonding, and remembering their past were some of the best on television. This was the perfect ending to a perfect show.

FINAL GRADE: A