The Golden Girls

NBC (ended 1992)

boechsner

The Golden Girls Fan Reviews page 5 of 6

• This has got to be one of my favourites...

"The Golden Girls" is funny and also sad sometimes. But mostly funny. This show taught me that old people aren't always boring. No way! They really crack me up sometimes! Especially Sophia. And Rose's St.Olaf stories with all those hard to pronounce Swdish/Norwegian words. I think one of the saddest things that has happened during the series was when Big daddy died. He was such a nice guy:(

oh well...good show! Worth all its awards.
  • The Golden Girls is a beautiful light which warms life with its simple and unique charm. Its a show which brings women closer together and redefines friendship. I discovered it when I was 10 and I never want to leave Miami Beach because I learned so much

One balmy summer day, in 1999, my mother and grandma called me to the living room. These two women, that I admire and have been influenced by with their love and knowledge, were ecstaticly smiling about a classic tv series they had adored and just rediscovered in syndication, on Lifetime. It was the incomparable "Golden Girls."

The show was funny, intelligent, intense, heart warming, and simply fantastic. Four mature ladies in their 60's, sharing their lives as roommates in a beautiful ranch house in Miami, Florida. They cry, laugh, hurt, help, bring expereiences, tell stories, teach, comfort, and love each other... while feasting on delectable cheesecake as time goes by.

Each woman is different in her own way; from demeanor, opinion, intelligence, culture, background, history, family, personality, and style. But their differences become apart of them as they become as one in their new family. They have an unbreakable bond as kindred spirits and friends. Even though they found each other so late in life, they're one on a quest for enjoying their golden years... together.

I love this show with all my heart and enjoy how it brightens up life.
  • Four "senior" ladies living in a house in Miami dealing with the ins and outs of life such as ,sex,friends,family, and annoying ex-husbands.

Ah! &hearts. I love this show, I used to watch it when I was really little with my Grandma, and I still watch it today. Its sucha sharp witty show, I love it. One of the funniest shows I\'ve seen. Such an orginal concept. Usually, I don\'t think a show about \"seniors\" would have sold, but this was great. ♥
  • One of a kind!

What a show? It's got everything and it would take too long to list it's best qualities. I've never been ablw to watch a show for so long and never tire of it. Those four ladies knew a hell of a lot about everyting and knew just how to play it to their advantage. 13 years after it ended and I still miss it.
  • I loved The Golden Girls. I have been watching it since it first started. I liked Rose Nylund played by Betty White because she is one of my favorite characters in the show.

The Golden Girls centers around four women all near or above the age of 50. The series was an immediate hit in it's Saturday night timeslot.

The show mainly involved four women. The stories involve dating and solving various problems.

For years the main characters have remained in the story. Others came and went sometimes for short periods and sometimes for many episodes.

They helped to make the story more exciting.
    Some of the main chracters were Rose, Dorothy, Blanche and Sophia.

Each episode was a story on its own but it formed part of the whole story.
  • Genius, cutting-edge, side-splitting gift from the Gods

Golden Girls is the perfect package of a sitcom. It has everything: clever, well-developed characters, forward thinking plot lines, and perfectly timed jokes. The writers for this program wrote brilliantly sparkling lines and developed socially relavent story lines.The actresses then brought these lines to life with ease and humor. Blanche, Dorothy, and Sofia feel like part of your family. Sit down, and eat a cheesecake.
  • There is no better show then the Gllden Girls. They come into my home everynight and make me laugh. I love Them

When you watch a TV show you look for something that gets you attenion. The Golden Girls do just that for everyone who watches. It a show that the entire family can watch even through it on the Lifetime network. You have to watch it, then you will never get a way from it
  • an okydoky show..

This show tells about four elderly women sharing an apartment in Miami.These women are Dorothy (Beatrice Arthur), Rose (Betty White), Blanche (Rue McClanahan) and Dorothy's mother Sophia (Estelle Getty).There are also Herb Edelman as Stan and Harold Gould as Miles.This sitcom was created by Susan Harris and it ran in the years 1985-1992.I think it's a very funny show with also some dramatic stuff. I'm 22 years old, so I'm not even close to the age these actors are in the show, but age doesn't matter when it comes to comedy.What made this show great was the lovable characters.All of those people were kind of people you cared about.There were also some brilliant guest stars in the show, like Burt Reynolds, Phil Leeds, Quentin Tarantino, Don Ameche, Dick Van Dyke, Mickey Rooney, George Clooney and Leslie Nielsen. I remember when they showed The Golden Girls on channel 2 here in Finland and liked it then.Now they're showing on channel 4 and still like it.If they show this show as a re-run make sure you see it.These girls really are golden.
  • ABSOLUTE CLASSIC

The Golden Girls is one of my favorite shows of all time. The actresses are all Emmy award winners, and are brilliant in their profession. Running for seven years this show tackled a lot of barriers. And although I was sad to see it leave, it was probably for the best, because tis better to go out on top with viewers, then to sink to the bottom, and have no one sad to see you leave. I don't think this show will ever be forgotten.

I Love The Golden Girls!
  • A must have collection! This show will make you laugh constantly! See why after all these years, this show is still a HUGE hit! You're gonna love it!

It's so great, that a big group of college guys watch it everyday! This is one of those great shows that a mixed group of people can watch, and everyone will be laughing and entertained. Shows friendship, love, and lots of sex talk!
    Sophia is a hilarious, straight shooter. What she thinks, she says. Rose is insanely happy in all situations. Her stories from her past keep you in stitches. Dorothy is super sarcastic, strong-willed, and to me, the greatest Golden Girl of all time! Her wit and wisdom never ceases, she'll make you almost pee your pants! And last but not least is Blanche. She's in love with herself and isn't afraid to let anyone know it. She also has an attraction to anything male and has a sex drive that I can only hope and pray to have when I hit my 60's! As Dorothy once said, "She could be in bed in a coma, let a man come within 5 miles of her, she'd roll over and shave her legs."
    It's hilarious! Sit back, relax, and let the girls make you laugh!
  • The Golden Girls is superb television!!

In my opinion, it is one of the best shows of the last 30 years. The wonderful performances of the ladies, along with the incredible writing combine to make a fabulous, charming 30 mins--It is always a pleasure to watch!! The chemistry of the cast is so engaging--it is pure art!!
  • 4 old broads who live in Miami. Each one with their own different quirks. Sophia is the lovable smart mouth mom of Dorothy. Dorothy the straight girl always very serious. Rose the sweet heart, but an idiot, and Blanche the whore. It’s very touching. I re

This show has everything you would want in 4 elderly women. Even lode conduct. This is the kind of show that you watch with your own grandma, which I did. I never really got into Lifetime shows but this is one of those shows which I prefer to keep in the closet. But an overall great show.
  • A true classic

The Golden Girls has become a bigger show now than it was during its original run. A whole new generation has discovered it thanks to the endless repeats on Lifetime. The show is on like six times a day and we still watch no matter how many times we've seen the episodes. It is one of those shows that just clicked and it is going to live on forever.
  • They had to of be doing something right to be having people of all ages watch this show!

This show is so good, that we find ourselves picking which of the characters we are most like. A Blanche, Dorothy, or Rose. They may be 50+ but they are still fabulous. Sophia is my favorite character on the show, (Estelle Getty), probably because she's the most honest, and isn't like the "typical" mother role you have in mind. She loves her kids, but shows Dorothy more of a tough love. The friendship they all have is heart warming. They have their share of fights but always work through it. Of course, until the end of this show when Dorothy gets married and goes off while the other three form the Golden Palace. It's not as good as the original Golden Girls. God help me if I get that theme stuck in my head. (Thank you for being a friend...) It'll be there for days.
  • Love these four ladies

What's wrong with me?!?! A 30-something watching Golden Girls in reruns on Lifetime?!?!?!

This show is still as fresh as it was when it originally aired. I gotta give Kudos to the writers who came up with the hilarious stuff that came out of Rose's mouth!

Those four ladies had some great chemistry together, and I enjoyed watching it when it was originally on the air and now in reruns.

It's nice to watch a show with people in their 50's. It's something that hasn't been on TV in a long time, everything now is the 20-somethings that live in New York! (A mold that NBC keeps using!)

Long live Rose, Blanche, Dorothy, and Sophia!
  • Three middle-aged women and one senior woman share a house, a friendship, and many cheesecakes.

My day is NOT complete without my daily fix of The Golden Girls.

Blanche is funny, sassy, witty, and sexy for a woman over 50...although don't tell her that because she insists that she is only 40.

Rose is a loveable, dim-witted "nerd" who just wants everyone to like her and doesn't get why no one is interested in her St. Olaf stories.

Dorothy is the glue that holds the house together and is the rational thinking behind every problem. What would the house be without her brain?

Sophia is great! A stroke had altered her censoring abilities so she speaks her mind! I wish I was able to say half of the stuff she says to everyone, whether they want the honest truth or not.
  • 4 old women. 1 house. Many problems. Huge amounts of cheesecake.

My real classification for this show: My new best friend/ Nobody knows I watch this. I'm a male, and nobody really knows that I watch this for obvious reasons (thoughts that I'm gay, etc.)But anyways, for somebody who just started watching the reruns on LifeTime, I'm incredibly hooked! Now, this show will definitley have its place in television history. Now, back in June, I was watching Lifetime waiting for "The Nanny" to come on (which is another show I highly recommend), and I saw "The Golden Girls". Now during the first week I thought it was kinda stupid. I thought Bea Arthur had an incredibly deep voice for a woman! But slowly I started watching LifeTime a few minutes earlier. First 5 minutes earlier, then 15, then 20, then 25, then I started watching whole episodes! In my opinion, the best character is Sophia. Her one-liners can be priceless. For beginners, go out and buy the first season DVD, so you know how it all started. My next mission: buying the second season DVD! To sum it all up: "The Golden Girls" will never be forgotten!
  • The elderly version of Designing Woman.

The Golden Girls is kind of like the elderly version of Designing Woman but funnier and better.
    Four woman and different personalities live in a small house in Miami where they laugh, cry, and share their lives over cheesecake. Dorothy Zorbornack is a divorced, substitute teacher; Sophia Petrillo is Dorothy's mother and comes from Sicily; Blanche Devoure is widowed and has many lovers in Miami; and Rose Nylund is a widowed housewife from St. Olaf, Minnesota.
    What makes the show so hilarious is how different everyone is that it's funny. Golden Girls is funny, smart, and clever. That has wit and heart. And makes old age seem fun.
  • One of the funniest shows ever made.

The Golden Girls is by far one of the funniest shows ever put on television. Dorothy, Sophia, Rose and Blanche are to seniors, what Sex and the City's Carrie, Samantha, Charlotte, and Miranda are to thirty somethings.

Sophia is by far my favorite character. Classic Sophia line:

Dorothy: Oh, you'll have to excuse my mother. Sophia: Oh, you heard that? I thought I was safe
    backed up against these pillows.

I can't help but laugh when Rose and Dorothy are making up a new jingle for Miami. "M-I-A another M-I, M-I-A-M-I spells Miami Beach." Hilarious.

In fact, the only downfall of "The Golden Girls", is when they do not stick to their tried and true formula. Stop bringing in so many guests. Dorothy's ex-husband, Stan, could've been left out in my opinion. The same goes for any and all of their children making appearances. Let's not get into the whole "Empty Nest" crossover disaster!

Overall, "The Golden Girls" was one of my favorite shows ever. They don't make em like this anymore!
  • People will still be talking about this show for years to come.

I am so glad that I turned to the right channel at the right moment to catch this show. "The Golden Girls" is truely one of the greats. It has the ability to catch the attention of every generation with the great setup of four women with completely different personalities living together in Miami. I always enjoy catching reruns of this show.
  • Put four old women, with completely different personalities, and you have the Golden Girls. This is a show that centers around their friendship, and the relevant social issues they encounter. They are consistently hilarious and joy to watch, over and over

I love watching the golden girls. Who knew four old women put together would make great t.v? The golden girls is genius. The show is smart, funny, and socially pertinant. Its a classic, and yet it never gets old. I love it. The Golden Girls is a comedy that I reccommend because their jokes are a laugh riot, and the dynamics between the girls are great. No other four women could ever pull off what the golden girls did, and without them sitcom t.v would be lost. Stop reading this review already, flick to lifetime and watch the show that can change your perception of what really makes a good sitcom, a good comdey, and great t.v.
  • Four old women + different backgrounds = A FABULOUS SHOW! I was just a baby when the show first aired, but, recently, I've found I happen to love it!

I absoulely love the Golden Girls. And the spin off, the Golden Palace, too. I look forward to the reruns. I think I just might be tempted to by the DVD's. That Rose and Sophia keep me tuned in. One seems to have no clue what's going on and the other can't seem to control her tongue, no matter what's going on! I love this show!I can't wait until all the seasons are on DVD.
  • this show rocks!

what can i say about the golden girls they rule blanche,dorthy,rose and sophia this show every season made you cry,laugh,dream,and make you come back for more

Season after season was better than the best please don't make me decide what is my favorite season cause there isn't one

"This is life a went back to my meatballs"
  • Guilty pleasure doesn't begin to describe it...

Being caught watching The Golden Girls is like being caught eating a quart of ice cream out of the container: embarassing but still wonderful.

The combination of all the characters couldn't be better. The plots can get old, but great acting keeps it together.

I especially enjoy Rose, and her overall incompetent kindness. Blanche can get on my nerves, but only ocassionally.

Overall, the strain of quickly changing the channel and jumping on the inside is well worth being able to watch The Golden Girls.
  • I love this show it's soo funny

The characters are witty, funny, and loveable that people can be related to on any level. Whether you are like Rose to Sophia you will be able to relate in some way or another. It really makes me laugh. The setting is dated, but the jokes are timeless.this kind of show has more appeal every year.
  • This is the best show in the world. What could fail when you bring together 4 over 50 women, great writing and great cast.

Not only do I have Betty White as my avatar, but I have Season 1 throught 2 in my movie library. This show was the greatest show of it's time. And now 14 years later the issues that were discussed on the show are relavent today. I feel strongly about this show that I put my money to where my mouth is and bought the show, even though I could see it on Lifetime everyday. Whenever I feel down I pop in my Golden Girls and have a laugh. That brings me up and makes my day. I bet that it does everyone else.
  • Picture it: Four ladies sitting around eatin' cheesecake.

What is really left to say about this comedy series that hasn't been said? Wonderful acting, superb writing, great cast interacation, that's what makes it a top-notch show. Sophia, Rose, Dorothy, and Blanche all seem like real people who you would love to know or might already do. The show at times was gut-busting funny and sometimes so thoughtful and emotional you couldn't help but cry. Each episode is filled with quotes you find yourself saying to others right after you've watched it. Nothing beats Rose's St. Olaf stories and Sophia's wit and humor about Sicily. Hey, and what better way to solve a problem than cheesecake, I say.
  • Excellent use of inuendos

It really makes me laugh. The setting is dated, but the jokes are timeless. As our society ages, this kind of show has more appeal every year. Recommend that they find a similar set of actors with the same chemistry that is depicted in this series. Sophia is especially critical to the play among the characters.
  • What Can I Say That Hasn’t Been Said?

Golden girls is a classic that can be enjoyed by everybody. Four lovable Women different in each way but they unite through friendship and cheesecake. It’s a well-written show that tackles serious issues in a thoughtful manner. The Acting is excellent.
    Granted they don't always get along but it's so comical and enjoyable to watch.
  • \"The Golden Girls,\" a classic much like \"I Love Lucy,\" will always be in the hearts of millions. The characters Dorothy, Rose, Blanche, & Sophia were not made up over night, they were creativly made up by a brilliant writer.

\"The Golden Girls,\" a classic much like \"I Love Lucy,\" will always be in the hearts of millions. The characters Dorothy, Rose, Blance, & Sophia were not made up over night, they were creativly made up by a brilliant writer. Thank you Susan Harris for a wonderful WONDERFUL television show. I would recommend this show to anyone, even my worst enemy. LOL.
1 2 3 4 5 6