The Golden Girls

NBC (ended 1992)

boechsner

The Golden Girls Fan Reviews (168)

• The Best

It was entertaining, it was real, and it addressed issues. It had what a good tv show took.
  • This show is my anti-depressant.

This show is my anti-depressant. Better than those pills. This shows always make me laugh and smiles. I love it, I watch it every-time i feel depressed and instantly cheer me up.
  • a show that is loved by many

I heart this show for having the best plot. I also love of course these 4 grannies hehe especially Dorothy! Watching this show before is one of the great moments in my life because I used to watch it with my Mom, the bonding moments are really great especially watching these crazy oldies! It's kind of crazy show that will make you roll on the floor. Its pure entertainment and missing this show lead me to look for a DVD copy. Having no time to catch up the re-runs, I purchased a DVD Collection at DVDBOOTH .COM. My order arrived in mint condition and very good quality! I just take a sit and relax while watching this show in its entirety! All DVDs functions very well in my DVD player. It's nice to see this wacky show once again after years of waiting.
  • The Golden Girls rules

This is the best show ever. Everytime i watch it, it make me feel happy and it always put a smile on my face.
  • The Girls!!

I dearly love the Golden Girls. It was very clever, witty and funny. Many people my age think it is pointless, but it is quality entertainment. Thank you for being a friend!
  • were did Golden Girls go

The show was on channel 69 here in Minneapolis for the longest time and now all of the sudden they are gone .... I know that they were on through comcast and they change there times all of the time but why its a great show no reason for them to go off now they placed a show I do not like and many of my friends do not like neather hopefully they will bring them back any ideas please let me know I miss them David (cfkid)
  • No other...

If there was absolutely NOTHING else on tv and this was the only thing on, I would be the HAPPIEST person in the WORLD...there is no show that can eclipse this in my world...!~
  • What a crew!!!!!!!!

It was an outstanding show! This show had something for everyone. Young and old it put a smile on everyone's face. When at the years it ran it didn't seem that far off, but it was WOW!!!! I can remember watching just one episode a week with my father. And now I think that the marathons are too far and in between. I tried to pick out which was my favorite creator but can't. All the ladies get my vote. It's sad to think that the only one alive now is Betty White and she is still standing strong even on her new sit come. They don't make actresses like that anymore.
  • This sitcom is the only good thing Lifetime will ever show.

The Golden Girls, which ran on NBC from 1985 until 1992, centers around four women all near or above the age of 50. Created by Susan Harris (Soap, Empty Nest), the series was an immediate hit in it's Saturday night timeslot.
    The show mainly involved four women. The stories involve… More dating and solving various problems. The story of the week sometimes included issues such as harassment, homosexuality, impotence, AIDS, death, and adultery.

This sitcom is hilarious, original, and clever as it takes real life situations and makes them funny, sad, or weird.

RIP Dorothy, Sophia, and Blanche

10 out of 10

• A staple of 1980s sitcoms.

The Golden Girls (1985-92) is one of the best sitcoms of the 1980s. When it first aired in 1985, I knew this show was going to be a success. The writing, acting, and direction was simply wonderful. The characters are well drawn. Dorothy Zbornak, Rose Nylund, Blanche Elizabeth Devereaux (yes it spells BED) and Sophia Petruillo are all iconic TV characters that will never be forgotten. My personal favorite characters are Rose and Sophia. However, I also like Dorothy and Blanche.

I am happy to own all 7 Seasons of the Golden Girls. I love all seven seasons of this wonderful sitcom. Here is my star rankings of each season, one star to four stars (best): Season one***1/2, Seasons 2-4****, Season 5-6***1/2 and Season 7***. I am hoping that they release Golden Palace (1992-3). I consider this show as Season 8 because it is a part of the Golden Girls universe. Speaking of which, I hope Empty Nest (1988-1995) and Nurses (1991-4) will be released on DVD. RIP to the wonderfully talented Estelle Getty, Beatrice Arthur and Rue McClanahan. You all are sorely missed. God bless you all and thank you for being a friend...
    I feel that The Golden Girls is the funniest, most consistantly entertaining show in the history of television. The only off episodes, were the ones trying to launch pilots of other shows. The acting was top-notch & while the clothes are severly dated, the humor & comedic timing will never be.
  • Not one of but the best sitcom every to air! Golden Girls is already a classic. It has to be a classic to have been off the air 13 years and still watched by millions on Lifetime everyday!! Thank you Golden Girls for giving us a laugh everyday!

Not one of but the best sitcom every to air! Golden Girls is already a classic. It has to be a classic to have been off the air 13 years and still watched by millions on Lifetime everyday!! Thank you Golden Girls for giving us a laugh everyday! I wish NBC could come up with something half as good today!
  • "The Golden Girls" an Emmy Award-winning series is a show about four single women in Miami Beach, Florida, who are middle-aged but young at heart — trounced all competition, earning the title of number-one new series of the season.

The Golden Girls is one of the most warm-hearted tale series you could ever set your eyes upon. My first reaction when catching a glimpse of the show was how I would be interested. In my opinion it was like watching Nickelodeon’s “Zoey 101”, but then The Golden Girls became so much more than just four elderly room-mates learning to cope. Their friendship is a kind of love any woman would dream of having. The adventures and mishaps they solve together while finding the joy of comedy throughout the good and the bad is what brings these lovely ladies together.
  • You don't have to be over fifty to indulge in and appreciate this show!

I think what makes this continuous Miami cheesecake party so much fun for women is that we all have or desire to have a little of each of these four characters in us. There is a child dying to come out (Rose) a teacher who longs to share her wisdom (Dorothy) a bad girl/princess (Blanche) and a no nonsense, wisecracking woman who never misses a beat (Sophia). As these women share cheesecake among other delicacies at the table in Blanche's beautiful, large kitchen, all of our conversations with other women are represented. All of us discuss sex, our families, previous relationships, dreams and aspirations and punctuate it all with a little or a lot of craziness as we see with Rose's endless stories of St. Olaf. These Nordic fairy tale like wild adventure stories told by Rose are a delightful contrast to Blanche's many true and exaggerated racy escapades. In the middle are Dorothy's hilarious disgust at both extremes and Sophia's predictably hilarious topper, "Picture it Sicily 19--" opposite Rose, and sexy senior citizen remarks opposite Blanche.

I appreciate the running theme of Stan's and Dorothy's love for one another that somehow continues even up to its affectionately platonic form in the last episode where Dorothy marries Lucas. Another intensely endearing and relatable theme is Dorothy's and Sophia's relationship with all the fighting, making up and affection that the unique mother-daughter relationship entails.

This is a racy comedy even by 21st century standards, and it deals with a lot of heavy thematic sexual elements, so it may offend a lot of people. However, if the conservative viewer can see the four women as symbols for the need of balance in her life - childlikeness, sophistication, sensuality and wit, this comedy through all of its worldly twists and turns can be any woman's occasional cup of coffee or tea and slice of cheesecake sans the calories.
  • The Golden Girls is a series about four women with completely opposite personalities living together.

The Golden Girls is an awesome show where the laughs never stop! It is easy to relate to even for younger viewers because one can relate to each of the characters at some point and I\'m sure all us girls have met a guy or two like stan lol. The cleverness, wit, and love so evident in the show is what makes it special. Also the fact that it tackled such topics as homosexuality and AIDS during the 80\'s really sets it aside from other shows!
  • hilarious

i find tht golden gris is an amazing comedy show tht combines everything needed to make an unoriginal concept very interesting.
    together we follow Blanche,Dorothy,Rose,and the other one for a ride tht no one will ever forget.
    Estellle \getty always stelas the show as Ma,and all four actresses act off of each other with such power and complexity u have to burst out with laughter everytime they get up with their mishaps.
    it is highly original and very very very very funny.
    i love all of the seasons and find something interresting everytime i watch this telly programme.
    i love it and if u havemnt already seen this show i recommend it.
  • Simply phenomenal

There are a number of words to describe this show, but not just one could describe all the things it was and still is. "The Golden Girls" was an honest, entertaining narrative about people coming out of middle age, but not quite yet at their twilight years. Each of the characters were well developed from the beginning and superbly portrayed. The writing was always so fresh, yet classic and because of that the show has remained relevant and has become timeless. While always hilarious, there always seemed to be some little piece of reality and a lesson taught in each episode. Dealing with issues like Alzheimer's Disease, AIDS, Addiction and just life in general, the show succeeded in more than just making us laugh. Now that the DVDs of the show have been released, it has found a new audience, as well as retaining it's old following. I started watching this show out of curiosity and was immediately hooked, I was in stitches at the simple, yet brilliant humor. Perfectly cast, the four actresses played off each other very well and all four of them very deservedly won Emmys for their performances. Shows like this are what television is all about and it is a shame that current sitcoms don't live up to the same caliber has ones of yesteryear. "The Golden Girls" will always have a place in television history as one of the very best programs written.
  • Please bring it back. I miss the show and would love to be able to relax and enjoy it again evey afternoon if possible.

It is a program that is well written, calming, refreshing, enjoyable and funny to break up my day.
    God Bless our dearly departed Estelle.......She was a great great lady. If only we had more shows like this today, but since we don't we have to rely on the old ones that brought us peace,and love.
    If they are brought back they will not only produce funds but bring relaxment, enjoyment, and a good funny to many. I know Canda missed programs like these, and would love to see them again and again.
    We never tire of watching simple, good, clean, shows of this nature.
  • One of my favorite shows ever!

The Golden Girls was one of the most daring sitcoms ever to be shown on television. What kind of audience wanted to see women in their 50s (and one in her 80s!) living out their lives as roommates? Sure, if they were 20, but 50? No prominent men in their lives, or anything! 50 year old women living life to the fullest. But the excellent character development, cast choice, scripting, and, well...nearly everything about the show made it a hit! Perhaps the Golden Girls' only real flaw is that it gives the three leading characters very predictable (yet believable, for the most part) personalities. Blanche is the love hound; Dorothy is the sensible, slightly more mature one; Rose is, well, the ditz; and Sophia is the crude one. The writers, however, develop on this excellently. They make the four very realistic characters. Blanche is very selfish and vain, but has a soft spot for her friends which no man can overpower. Dorothy is often the butt of Blanche's jokes, many of which come unintentionally, but she usually takes it in good humor. She can be selfish on occassions, but she generally does what is best for her friends and family. Hey, there has to be a mature one to keep the order of things. Rose is the airhead, whom Blanche often insults (something I'll never understand, because she's incredibly friendly). Her long-winded stories and unawareness often anger her friends, but she always forgives them for their, well...cruelty, I suppose the word is. Finally, there's Sophia. She's always mixed up in a get rich quick scheme or irregular activity which most senior citizens couldn't think of doing. Needless to say, the scripters excellently sculpted the characters. The actors' performances are outstanding, as well. With Bea Arthur's strong body language, Rue McClanahan's ability to create false innocence while she's insulting a friend, Betty White's perfect 'airhead' voice, and Estelle Getty's acting as an old woman, there are few moments where the cast's acting will let you down. Well, I began to ramble about 500 sentences ago, so I'd best wrap this up. The Golden Girls is an undisputed classic, and I would recommend it to any budding TV fanatic.
  • classic

The Golden Girls ended the year i was born and still watching reruns now makes me laugh. Thats the true test, whether the show/ the jokes will still be funny not only years after the show ended but if they would entertain an audience that might've never even heard of the show and are too young to even know the actors. I began watching the reruns recently and i loved the series. i've seen Betty White in several movies before but not the other actors/actresses. Still despite that im still able to enjoy the banter, and awkward yet funny situations middle-aged woment get into.
  • The best show of all time

It would be impossible to say that people didn't love this show. Its was shown on saturday nights and was able to remain in the top 10 for 6 years. One could only imagine if the show was aired on a thursday night...perhaps an even greater legacy.

Its legacy is undoubtedly great. Its ability to appeal to a market of both young and old people and those in between is what makes it so popular. Every character was funny. Every Chracter had distinctive character traits that the writers used timelessly. Dorothy was the witty sarcastic one.
    Rose the dimwitted Blonde with the endless stories.
    Blanche was the promiscious southern belle, who never got sick of male company.
    Sophia was the blunt and frank old sicilian whose heart attack had killed off the part of her brain that censored what she said.

All the ladies won emmy's and were nominated countlessly. The show won the emmy for best comedy twice and was nominated six times. That kind of record highlights the shows humour and timelessness.

A classic.
  • Best show on television! It's just funny. Period!

The Golden Girls is one of THE best shows in the history of television! The show has great jokes and plot lines. I've been a Golden Girls fan since I was at least a baby. I have seen every episode more than 10 times, but they just keep getting funnier and funnier. I like all the Girls, but Sophia and Dorothy and their one liners are my personal favorites. I also love Rose's ridiculous St. Olaf stories and (made up) words. Even in real life, I tend to quite Golden Girls lines. All and all, the Golden Girls will always be a favorite of mine.
  • Whether you're in junior high, college, or around the same age as the title characters, you will relate to this show and be hooked from the very first episode!

If you want the honest truth, I remember loving "The Golden Girls" when I was as young as 6 or 7 years old. Obviously, all the jokes flew right over my head at that time, but every time my mom watched it, I couldn't help laughing at Sophia's wisecracks, Blanche's antics, Rose's naivety, and Dorothy's hilarious facial expressions. It may sound crazy that a kid that young can enjoy a show like this, but I swear I'm not lying. What can I say? Even Betty White herself (who played Rose) says that most of her fan mail from the show comes from the 25-and-younger crowd, and if you've ever watched it, you probably know exactly why.

By the time I was old enough to really understand and appreciate the show, I was in high school, and my friend and I used to watch it all the time in college. While most of the people our age were going out to the bars freshman year, for us, nothing was more fun than grabbing dinner from the cafeteria and enjoying back-to-back episodes of "The Golden Girls!" It's the perfect thing to watch anytime you've had a long day and just need something to make you laugh. The series is so classic and timeless, and the writing is so high-quality, people are going to be watching it for years to come, and it's not going to lose one ounce of its charm. Successful TV series like these are rare and hard to come by, and the true credit goes to two things: (1) solid chemistry between the characters, and (2) clever writing that covers a wide range of relatable topics. "The Golden Girls" has both, and again, even though the premise is four older women living together in Miami, people of all ages can get hooked on it, and that's because it's funny. It doesn't take itself too seriously, the characters can laugh at themselves, and in the end, it's all about appreciating your friends and enjoying life.

Each "golden girl" is unique in her own way. All four actresses gave each other the chance to have the spotlight once in a while, and when they came together equally, they were unstoppable. I always liked how Dorothy was the "underdog" of the group who was protective of the other three and was there for them anytime they needed it, even when they poked fun at her for never getting dates (which, unfortunately, was often). I also loved her quippy comebacks and sarcasm; her dialogue was written perfectly, and paired with her priceless facial expressions, it really worked well. The character of Rose kept the laughter rolling throughout each episode with her long, drawn-out St. Olaf stories and her somewhat childlike views on life (although she could surprise you every now and then), and no character on television ever got away with the things that vixen Blanche did for seven seasons, but then again, that was thanks to actress Rue McClanahan's pitch-perfect blend of humor and vulnerability. Lastly (but absolutely not least), Sophia is probably the favorite "golden girl" with most fans, because everything that comes out of her mouth is comic gold, and very few lines of dialogue from her are easy to watch all the way through with a completely straight face. She and Dorothy are a flawless mother/daughter team, and the two actresses really made the love/hate relationship an art in itself. I don't think many actresses could pull off what they did.

In short, "The Golden Girls" is an amazing show that never, EVER gets old, and I feel sad for those who have not yet discovered it, because they don't know what they're missing. Anyone and everyone can find something in here that they love, and all it takes is one episode! 10/10, no doubt!
  • Four women share a home in Miami.

The Golden Girls was great. It is one of the best comedies ever. Sophia and Rose are the funniest out of all four women. In order, it is Sophia, Rose, Blanche, and Dorothy who are the funniest. Dorothy isn't necessarily funny, but sarcastic, which I like. The way it ended was especially good. It gives Dorothy closure as it gives her character the boot, and Sophia, Blanche, and Rose make one more season of the show, under a new title: The Golden Palace. While the show lasted, it was hilarious. It shouldn't have ended. Every episode brought laughs and kept them coming. R.I.P. Estelle Getty (July 25, 1923 - July 22, 2008).
  • This is one of the funniest shows ever!

I own the entire show on DVD. Nothing can comepare to Rose's St. Olaf stories or Sophia sarcastic sense of humor. This show was so risque for the 80's and way before it's time. It was great to see a show like this that provides a humor that is enjoyable to watch no matter how many times you watch it.

This show has special moments of my life attached to it. I always told my husband that he would love it this show and he vowed not to ever watch it. I caught him watching it on Lifetime one day and the rest is history! This is not just a chick flick, it is something anyone can watch and enjoy.
  • These girls sure are golden!

I love this show so much. Now I'm pretty young and my friends say that the humor is for 'old people'. I ignore those comments. I find the humor very funny, and the women sure are good at acting! I miss this show and I wish that it would come back, even though the actresses are pretty old now. But this show is so cute, funny, and creative. There should be more shows like this. But any shows like this would kind of be ignored with all the shows about girls dating guys and fake extreme action shows that people find so dang good today.
  • Just the kind of show I need and love.

The Golden Girls is a comedy that I love to watch. Every chance I get, I watch it. I've even taped a couple of episodes. I've watched this show since I was a child. Mum and I have always loved The Golden Girls. This is a nice treat for me.

When I feel depressed, this is the kind of show I need to calm me down. I've been feeling very depressed lately. So much has happened to me in such a short time, and it hurt me so much. I've been watching as much of this show as I possibly can. It calms me down. It's always made me feel a bit calmer when I heart those four women picking on each other and acting silly. Comedy is just what I need, and even though I don't always feel like laughing at the funny things that happen, I still think they are very funny. I do laugh at them when I'm in a happier mood, but when I'm down, I just listen to how silly they're acting. I calm down a little. It helps me.

I know there will not be anymore episodes of this show. That was 16 years ago, but I just hope TV does not stop playing the re-runs. They always help me to feel a lot better.
  • A show to remember.

The Golden Girls was another one of my favorites while growing up. I was only five years old when it started playing, but even at a young age, I loved to watch it. I would sit on my mother's lap while she watched the show, and we would laugh through the whole half hour. All the characters have the abilities to put smiles on the faces of the most depressed people. I loved watching them insult each other and act silly during their fights. Then, they would make up, and I thought that was very nice. This show did teach me a lesson in friendship. It can teach others the very same lesson as well.
  • I love the show Golden Girls... great cast! - JamesLimborg.com

Perfect cast for the show Golden Girls... Love their theme music as well. My favorite actress in the show is Estelle Getty (Sophia)... but they are all great actresses and work perfect with each other. It's a show that makes me feel at ease and happy inside.... relaxing as well... takes the stress out of me. I have a cd of music in my car... and I have the theme music for this show on my personal cd that I listen to every day when driving to work. I'd like to say great job to the person who wrote that music to the show... I write music myself... and the music written and recorded for this tv show Golden Girls inspires me to write music. - JamesLimborg.com
  • Golden Girls rock!

Who could ever forget this show? I've loved The Golden Girls since I was little. Being little, I didn't understand everything that was happening, but I loved the show anyway. I loved to laugh at their jokes. Four senior citizens are living together in one house. There's Blanche. Blanche is the girly girl who loves to look cute and loooves boys! She can be vain at times, but she's still a great friend to have around. There's Rose. Rose is a total ditz, and I love that! She is so funny! You try to explain something to her, and she just... doesn't get it. I love her stories. Honestly, if I'm bored, I wanna hear her tell me one of her stories. The other girls find them annoying. I find them interesting and funny. Rose is so sweet and loving as well. Then, there's Dorothy. Dorothy is sassy, classy, and totally smart! She's the level-headed one. I love her sarcastic comments. She cracks me up. She can lose her temper at times, but hey, she's still a totally awesome friend to have around. I lose my temper too at times. Then, there's Sophia, Dorothy's mom. Listen to one line from Sophia, and you will automatically know where Dorothy gets her sass from. Sophia is incredibly sassy! I think the other girls should've nicknamed her Sassy Sophia. She is hilarious, and although she lets out some whacky insults, she is still an awesome person. I think all four of the girls are awesome friends. I wouldn't mind living with them. It would be like a party. I love this show so much. I really think it should be appreciated a lot more than it is. I sooo would love to meet the actresses from the show. You Golden Girls totally rock!
< 1 2 3 4 5 6