The Golden Girls

NBC (ended 1992)

boechsner

The Golden Girls Fan Reviews (168)

• I just did not like this episode with its saddness.

2.5
    I thought that this episode was not that well written. I mean you know of a person, who we never met, and then you write an episode having him die. This was not one of my favorite episodes. I only wish that there had been an extra scene at the end where Sophia is lying on the couch and wakes up and realizes that this whole death was just a bad nightmare and that she learns the important lesson. That would have made the episode better, in my opinion. I do feel, with the writers, that this was an idea from out of the blue and was not that good.
  • A fun show, with occasional nuggets of good solid wisdom.

I always get a kick out of how the ladies all interact with each other (I particularly like Sophia’s dry forthright attitude and clever remarks), and the humorous situations they get themselves into. I also like Dorothy’s gentle but firm manner when she interacts with others and deals with day-to-day events. I think one reason we love this show is that the people in it seem quite human and “unaffected”, and so we can “feel for” and sympathize with them and the predicaments that they face. And once in a while, there is something said in a particular episode that really “hits the nail on the head” to illustrate a profound fact or idea that we all need to keep in mind as we live our lives.
  • a somewhat funny show

6.3
    this show was on the air for way too long in my opinion. the funniest one on the show was without a doubt estell getty. every time she took the stage she seemed to make me laugh. the whole cast did a good job considering it was a sitcom in the 80's.
  • Not to miss.

6.7
    The Golden Girls is a wonderfully written, extremely funny show that will always be one of the greatest comedy efforts of all time. The show has laughter everyone can enjoy, and explores topics that few shows dare to address. All four women won Emmy Awards for their roles and the show enjoyed extraordinary ratings and acclaim. Every aspect of the show provides for pure comedic entertainment that transcends the art itself. The show provides a look into how friends from very different backgrounds compliment each other and become the best of friends. Each character brings a unique dynamic to the plot and any viewer can learn, identify, and of course laugh at their adventures. Simply a show for the ages.
  • Who knew?!

Who knew watching a show about four 'elderly' women and I use that term loosely, would be so entertaining! If you watch this show for nothing else - just watch it for the laughs! The banter and snarky remarks between the ladies is always sure to raise a chuckle out of anybody - who doesn't like grumpy old people have an argument! ( And arguments are something they have plenty of!) I really do love this show and it is easily a tv classic. The show was popular way back and a rerun or two can be seen on tv - The Golden Girls will never grow old! It simply doesn't age - the comedy in it is timeless!
  • Four women sharing one house

I like and dislike "The Golden Girls," depending on what episode I referring to. I lik "the golden girls," I didn't love "the golden girls," but there are stuff that I love. Of the four actresses I like Rue McClanaham the most. She can play sexy, even for a middle age woman. She can be very hot and sexy. I wrote a few letters to her in support. she probaby the real reason why I like "the Golden Girls." I like Beatrice Arthur. She's the brains of the four. Whatever anything happens, she whould figure things out. I like Betty White's characters, but that place she kept mentioning is annoying. Estelle Getty is the worst of the bunch. She not much of an actress. But apart from the shortcomings, I happen to like the series. Not enough to call it great, but I like the series.
  • Four senior citizens who live together are pretty funny.

7.4
    It feels wierd to say but I like the golden girls. I started watching them when my fiancee was watching, but those ladies are funny. Estelle Getty is the one with the best timing and can make any situation funny. Bea Arthur is probobly the scariest looking women I have ever seen but it plays to her advantage and she is the one who holds the whole crew together. Rue Mclanahan is the worlds oldest hussy. There hasn't been an episode I've seen that she hasn't had a new date. The down right funniest though is Betty White. She is so dimwitted that I can't help but to crack up when she talks. Good show.
  • Old Funny People

Various ep (00)
  • Not bad.

I have never been a fan of this show. But I must say that it is still a classic in terms of acting and its impact on the comedy scene. Perhaps there is no other show that has tried to emulate this one. I guess you could say it's one of a kind. I think I have watched only a few episodes, but not entirely. I find the storylines and pace of the show a bit dragging. In fact, I can't watch a full episode because I get bored. Overall, while it's not a show I like, it still is a classic to others alike. Thank you.
  • A lovely classic

Ok I love this show. When I say this to my friends they say I am to young to love this show. But thank god we have re-runs. I have been watching it once again for the past few months on the WE channel and it has brought back how much I have always loved this show. There is just something about the chemisty between the lady's on this show. And god I love when Betty White starts with the Rose story's. Someone please tell me how they keep a straight face during those lines. I wonder sometimes if Betty White add libs those or if it came straight from the script. A classic i will watch for years it never gets old.
  • What could have been a brilliant show is dragged down by its own lack of consistency.

The Golden Girls had a lot of potential, the acting was great, the writing was sharp and funny, but overall the show fails to live up to that potential because of its inconsistencies. The show is about 4 elderly women living together in Miami, Blanche is the designated \"slut\" who has bedded half of Miami\'s male population, Rose is a naive farmgirl from Minnesota, more specifically an odd little town called St. Olaf, Dorothy, the sarcastic \"everywoman\", and Dorothy\'s mother, Sophia, a wisecracking Italian. While the show features great acting and very sharp writing, but the show is never able to avoid having several mistakes. For example, we never quite know how Blanche\'s husband George died. In one episodes it is stated that he was in the hospital for a long time, while in another episode it is said that he died in a car accident. There are several mistakes like that and its very hard to ignore them when the number of one of the women constantly changes or when Dorothy is diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, which is supposed to be a crippling disease, but is never mentioned again.

All in all, The Golden Girls is a good show, but don\'t expect to watch a few episodes, only to say \"But didn\'t in the other episode she said that....?\"
  • A pretty good 80's sit com. It came from the same people that made the sit com "Soap".

A pretty good 80's sit com. It came from the same people that made the sit com "Soap". This one was about 3 friends living together. At some point one of them moved their mother in with them so then there were 4 ladies living together. they were all getting on in their years but had very different personalities. Betty White stared as Rose Nylund and she was the ditzy one. Beatrice Arthur stared as Dorothy Zbornak she was the reasonable one that was pretty much always grumpy. She was the character that moved in her mother. the mother was played by Estelle Getty as Sophia Petrillo. She was the oldest member, although it was makeup - she was actually the youngest cast member. She was always forgetful and yet telling stories of the old days in italy. Rue McClanahan played Blanche Devereaux and she was the slutty one always looking for a new young man.
  • This has got to be one of my favourites...

"The Golden Girls" is funny and also sad sometimes. But mostly funny. This show taught me that old people aren't always boring. No way! They really crack me up sometimes! Especially Sophia. And Rose's St.Olaf stories with all those hard to pronounce Swdish/Norwegian words. I think one of the saddest things that has happened during the series was when Big daddy died. He was such a nice guy:(

oh well...good show! Worth all its awards.
  • Excellent use of inuendos

It really makes me laugh. The setting is dated, but the jokes are timeless. As our society ages, this kind of show has more appeal every year. Recommend that they find a similar set of actors with the same chemistry that is depicted in this series. Sophia is especially critical to the play among the characters.
  • Although this show ended a few months befor I was born I still enjoy watching it and apreciate it's humour. Sophia is the funiest.

A funny show that was original and abit quirky. With loveable charachters like Rose and Sophia, it makes for a nice 30 mins to spend your day. It went for the right amount of time not too long and not to short. And unfortunatly Estell Getty(Sophia) has Parkinsons deisies. Golden Girls were truly golden! lol (how corny)
  • This show is hilarious!!! Even though they are old they still had some crazy moments and jokes. I especially love Dorothy's and Blanche's reactions towards Rose's old St. Olav stories.

One word to describe this show-- HILARIOUS!!! This one of those shows you to get a good laugh at a bunch of old ladies. They all have an unique personalities that somehow keeps them getting along. A really fun show and good sing-along theme song. This is one of the rare shows that my mother, my sisters, and I would all watch together again and again.
  • wow this was like wooo.

Wow this show was good and i still like watching it. I didnt know people that old like talked or acted like that lol i thought they all just sat there all day and like knitted lol well im 13 i didnt think they did much of anything well was i wrong lol well anyways this was a an awesome show and so like happy that lifetime brought it back!!!!
  • They had to of be doing something right to be having people of all ages watch this show!

This show is so good, that we find ourselves picking which of the characters we are most like. A Blanche, Dorothy, or Rose. They may be 50+ but they are still fabulous. Sophia is my favorite character on the show, (Estelle Getty), probably because she's the most honest, and isn't like the "typical" mother role you have in mind. She loves her kids, but shows Dorothy more of a tough love. The friendship they all have is heart warming. They have their share of fights but always work through it. Of course, until the end of this show when Dorothy gets married and goes off while the other three form the Golden Palace. It's not as good as the original Golden Girls. God help me if I get that theme stuck in my head. (Thank you for being a friend...) It'll be there for days.
  • Funny, hilarious many times, entertaining, classic... A lot of good things can be said about "The Golden Girls".

Watching this series is easy to think anything can be solved either with a hug or with a piece of cheese and chocoloate cake. Memorable characters made a memorable show and four great actresses gave the life. Four different women: Dorothy (Bea Arthur) the witty, ironic, and sarcastic girl; Rose, the naive and good-hearted girl; Blanche, the maneater and spicy girl; and Sophia, more sacarcastic than her daughter and the one who always makes up stories about Sicily.

It is very easy to love them and it is very easy to laugh with them. It doesn'tmatter how much time has passed since the first time the series was broadcasted, this show is classic because of a reson, it was pioneer in the genre putting four middle aged women talking about anything with humour and a bit of drama. A must see.
  • Golden Girls!

For a comedy show, it is really good. I love to watch it if I just had a stressful day.

Sophia is the oldest. She is a very hilarious character and is usually given some of the funnist lines by the writers. Dorothy is the more sensible one. She is a substitute teacher and is the most sane one of the 4.

Blanche is the middle of all. She is the most emotional. She loves men and can seem to be smart. Rose is also a middle character. She is emotional and smart. She is very caring.

The Golden Girls is a very good show to watch.
  • The elderly version of Designing Woman.

The Golden Girls is kind of like the elderly version of Designing Woman but funnier and better.
    Four woman and different personalities live in a small house in Miami where they laugh, cry, and share their lives over cheesecake. Dorothy Zorbornack is a divorced, substitute teacher; Sophia Petrillo is Dorothy's mother and comes from Sicily; Blanche Devoure is widowed and has many lovers in Miami; and Rose Nylund is a widowed housewife from St. Olaf, Minnesota.
    What makes the show so hilarious is how different everyone is that it's funny. Golden Girls is funny, smart, and clever. That has wit and heart. And makes old age seem fun.
  • Four women live together in an apartment

As you can see, this show is my guilty pleasure. I enjoy The Golden Girls' unique brand of humor and find Sophie Petrillo especially hilarious (which is why Sophie Petrillo is my TV.com icon). Here's a bit of trivia: Estelle Getty, who played Sophie Petrillo, was actually two months younger than Bea Arthur, who played Dorothy Zbornak. She was wore quite a bit of make-up to create the illusion that she was old enough to be Dorothy's mother.
    Thank you for being a friend. Travel down the road and back again. Your heart is true, you're a pal and a confidant. And if you threw a party, invited everyone you knew. You would see the biggest gift would be from me and the card attached would say, thank you for being a friend.
  • Funny every day.

There are some comedies that you watch once and understand why the laugh track was created. There are others that you watch over and over and wonder why the laugh track was used because it is unnecessary. The Golden Girls is the later. This show is incredibly funny no matter how many times you see it. Each actress is perfectly casts. It amazes me that the roles that Rue and Betty played were almost reversed as they are perfect in the roles they played.

The beauty of the casting is that my favorite character changes with my mood and my position in life. Sometimes Dorothy's practicallity appeals to me. Other times it is Rose's simplistic view of the world. Sofia's wisdom (and lost thoughts) may be what I need at other times. And then there's Blanche (who is my favorite).

It's a good thing this show runs multiple times a day.
  • I'm serious no one knows I watch this well only my sister, my mom and my dad, but no one else.

These 4 ladies all rock! I can always just sit down and watch this show in the summer whenever I'm bored or am just in the mood for a wholesome TV show.

I'll just plop down on the couch and be prepared to go into Miami where the show takes place. Sometimes my sister watches it with me.

So what if it was made in the 80s it's a good show! Heck I watch I Love Lucy!

Whenever I watch it I know that I'll be ready to hear one of Rose's St. Olaf stories or see what Sophia is up to, or find out what man Blanche is going out with today.

Whatever it is I'm sure it will be a couple of hanndfulls of laughs and thoe heartfelt Golden Girl moments that make understand why you watch this show.

• 4 old ladies, 4 completely different personality’s, living in Miami

This show is all about laughs. The main characters are 4 , 3 who are in their 50’s 1 who is in her 70’s, each character has such a different personality. There is Blanche, the hot for guys, Rose, the dimwit though she is funny as heck, especially her stories of her home town. There’s Dorothy the fairly normal one , cant get many dates and Sophia who holds the family together. I have watched this show and laughed almost the entire time, that’s how funny it is at times. I think people of all ages can enjoy this show. Though many men wouldn’t admit to liking it, I know there are some out there. Though the show is mostly a comedy there are a few episodes that have a more serious tone, which is pulled off beautifully by the actresses
  • I don't care how many times I see it...

...I still LOVE this show. It's definatley a fix for a lot of us chicks, there's just this cult-esque draw to it. But then, that's probably because a lot of us enjoyed it when it first aired.
    My little sister and I were kids when it first aired, and now as young women, we actually GET the jokes, heh. So, it's definately the aged/pre-sex and the city chick bible that so many of us rely on.
    Just because it's a sitcom that centeres 4 older women, doesn't make it a wall for guys too...I'm sure many guys... straight as well, probably like it too, but won't admit it. Granted, not as much as the ladies do, because I admit...there's definately a chick-bonding appeal. Maybe it's nice to know when you get older you still have a life and don't let age slow you down. Plus, I SO aspire to be Sophia-like when I get that old. Teheheheh...
  • Love these four ladies

What's wrong with me?!?! A 30-something watching Golden Girls in reruns on Lifetime?!?!?!

This show is still as fresh as it was when it originally aired. I gotta give Kudos to the writers who came up with the hilarious stuff that came out of Rose's mouth!

Those four ladies had some great chemistry together, and I enjoyed watching it when it was originally on the air and now in reruns.

It's nice to watch a show with people in their 50's. It's something that hasn't been on TV in a long time, everything now is the 20-somethings that live in New York! (A mold that NBC keeps using!)

Long live Rose, Blanche, Dorothy, and Sophia!
  • One of the best comedies of all time

I'm old enough to remember when this show originally aired. Even back then, my sisters and I would laugh hysterically at the antics of Rose, Blanche, Dorothy and Sophia. The family favorite was always Sophia because she was so sarcastic and blunt, just like my sisters and me. The brilliant writing still speaks today, though some of the subjects may be dated, the comedy is often timeless. I enjoy this show still, now on Lifetime where I am able to relive the hilarious lives of these spinning women, a pickup every morning before I have to go to work. Long live the Golden Girls!
  • superb

this is one of those shows i am really surprised i even considered watching, let alone like. i would not tell anyone i watch this, because i doubt any of my friends have heard of it, and if so, they wouldn't like it, i am betting. but as for me, episodes i have seen have a good balance between emotion and humor. i also find that the main characters are very likable. My overall grade for this is a B because whilst I do like it, I do not consider it a perfect program by any means. Still very good
  • Golden Girls kicks off on Hallmark March 1 with an 18 1/2 hour marathon!

Picture it…On March 1, viewers can enjoy 18 hours of tales from St. Olaf, pizza-and knishes, Southern belles and sassy seniors with an 18 hour marathon of "The Golden Girls," which redefined the term 'Must See TV' for a generation of fans, and generations to come. With six seasons in the Top 10, 79 award nominations with 34 wins and 38% of America watching the finale, "The Golden Girls" stands in select company as one of the most beloved sitcoms of all time. (L to R) Rue McClanahan, Estelle Getty, Bea Arthur and Betty White star as four South Florida seniors sharing a house, their dreams, their loves and losses. Bright, provocative, clueless, and hilarious, these lovely mismatched ladies form the perfect circle of friends. Experience a full day of laugh-packed episodes from this landmark television series when "The Golden Girls" begins airing on Hallmark Channel beginning Saturday, March 1, 8:30 a.m – 2:30 a.m., and continues Mondays-Fridays 8-9 a.m., 4-5 p.m. and 12 a.m.-2 a.m., Saturdays 6-9 a.m. and Sundays 8:30-10 a.m (All times ET/PT).
< 1 2 3 4 5 6