The Golden Girls

NBC (ended 1992)

boechsner

The Golden Girls Fan Reviews (168)

• Old Funny People

Various ep (00)
  • This show is my anti-depressant.

This show is my anti-depressant. Better than those pills. This shows always make me laugh and smiles. I love it, I watch it every-time i feel depressed and instantly cheer me up.
  • a show that is loved by many

I heart this show for having the best plot. I also love of course these 4 grannies hehe especially Dorothy! Watching this show before is one of the great moments in my life because I used to watch it with my Mom, the bonding moments are really great especially watching these crazy oldies! It's kind of crazy show that will make you roll on the floor. Its pure entertainment and missing this show lead me to look for a DVD copy. Having no time to catch up the re-runs, I purchased a DVD Collection at DVDBOOTH .COM. My order arrived in mint condition and very good quality! I just take a sit and relax while watching this show in its entirety! All DVDs functions very well in my DVD player. It's nice to see this wacky show once again after years of waiting.
  • The Golden Girls rules

This is the best show ever. Everytime i watch it, it make me feel happy and it always put a smile on my face.
  • The Girls!!

I dearly love the Golden Girls. It was very clever, witty and funny. Many people my age think it is pointless, but it is quality entertainment. Thank you for being a friend!
  • were did Golden Girls go

The show was on channel 69 here in Minneapolis for the longest time and now all of the sudden they are gone .... I know that they were on through comcast and they change there times all of the time but why its a great show no reason for them to go off now they placed a show I do not like and many of my friends do not like neather hopefully they will bring them back any ideas please let me know I miss them David (cfkid)
  • No other...

If there was absolutely NOTHING else on tv and this was the only thing on, I would be the HAPPIEST person in the WORLD...there is no show that can eclipse this in my world...!~
  • What a crew!!!!!!!!

It was an outstanding show! This show had something for everyone. Young and old it put a smile on everyone's face. When at the years it ran it didn't seem that far off, but it was WOW!!!! I can remember watching just one episode a week with my father. And now I think that the marathons are too far and in between. I tried to pick out which was my favorite creator but can't. All the ladies get my vote. It's sad to think that the only one alive now is Betty White and she is still standing strong even on her new sit come. They don't make actresses like that anymore.
  • This sitcom is the only good thing Lifetime will ever show.

The Golden Girls, which ran on NBC from 1985 until 1992, centers around four women all near or above the age of 50. Created by Susan Harris (Soap, Empty Nest), the series was an immediate hit in it's Saturday night timeslot.
    The show mainly involved four women. The stories involve… More dating and solving various problems. The story of the week sometimes included issues such as harassment, homosexuality, impotence, AIDS, death, and adultery.

This sitcom is hilarious, original, and clever as it takes real life situations and makes them funny, sad, or weird.

RIP Dorothy, Sophia, and Blanche

10 out of 10

• Funny, hilarious many times, entertaining, classic... A lot of good things can be said about "The Golden Girls".

Watching this series is easy to think anything can be solved either with a hug or with a piece of cheese and chocoloate cake. Memorable characters made a memorable show and four great actresses gave the life. Four different women: Dorothy (Bea Arthur) the witty, ironic, and sarcastic girl; Rose, the naive and good-hearted girl; Blanche, the maneater and spicy girl; and Sophia, more sacarcastic than her daughter and the one who always makes up stories about Sicily.

It is very easy to love them and it is very easy to laugh with them. It doesn'tmatter how much time has passed since the first time the series was broadcasted, this show is classic because of a reson, it was pioneer in the genre putting four middle aged women talking about anything with humour and a bit of drama. A must see.
  • A staple of 1980s sitcoms.

The Golden Girls (1985-92) is one of the best sitcoms of the 1980s. When it first aired in 1985, I knew this show was going to be a success. The writing, acting, and direction was simply wonderful. The characters are well drawn. Dorothy Zbornak, Rose Nylund, Blanche Elizabeth Devereaux (yes it spells BED) and Sophia Petruillo are all iconic TV characters that will never be forgotten. My personal favorite characters are Rose and Sophia. However, I also like Dorothy and Blanche.

I am happy to own all 7 Seasons of the Golden Girls. I love all seven seasons of this wonderful sitcom. Here is my star rankings of each season, one star to four stars (best): Season one***1/2, Seasons 2-4****, Season 5-6***1/2 and Season 7***. I am hoping that they release Golden Palace (1992-3). I consider this show as Season 8 because it is a part of the Golden Girls universe. Speaking of which, I hope Empty Nest (1988-1995) and Nurses (1991-4) will be released on DVD. RIP to the wonderfully talented Estelle Getty, Beatrice Arthur and Rue McClanahan. You all are sorely missed. God bless you all and thank you for being a friend...
  • One of the best comedies of all time

I'm old enough to remember when this show originally aired. Even back then, my sisters and I would laugh hysterically at the antics of Rose, Blanche, Dorothy and Sophia. The family favorite was always Sophia because she was so sarcastic and blunt, just like my sisters and me. The brilliant writing still speaks today, though some of the subjects may be dated, the comedy is often timeless. I enjoy this show still, now on Lifetime where I am able to relive the hilarious lives of these spinning women, a pickup every morning before I have to go to work. Long live the Golden Girls!
  • 4 old ladies, 4 completely different personality’s, living in Miami

This show is all about laughs. The main characters are 4 , 3 who are in their 50’s 1 who is in her 70’s, each character has such a different personality. There is Blanche, the hot for guys, Rose, the dimwit though she is funny as heck, especially her stories of her home town. There’s Dorothy the fairly normal one , cant get many dates and Sophia who holds the family together. I have watched this show and laughed almost the entire time, that’s how funny it is at times. I think people of all ages can enjoy this show. Though many men wouldn’t admit to liking it, I know there are some out there. Though the show is mostly a comedy there are a few episodes that have a more serious tone, which is pulled off beautifully by the actresses
    I feel that The Golden Girls is the funniest, most consistantly entertaining show in the history of television. The only off episodes, were the ones trying to launch pilots of other shows. The acting was top-notch & while the clothes are severly dated, the humor & comedic timing will never be.
  • Not one of but the best sitcom every to air! Golden Girls is already a classic. It has to be a classic to have been off the air 13 years and still watched by millions on Lifetime everyday!! Thank you Golden Girls for giving us a laugh everyday!

Not one of but the best sitcom every to air! Golden Girls is already a classic. It has to be a classic to have been off the air 13 years and still watched by millions on Lifetime everyday!! Thank you Golden Girls for giving us a laugh everyday! I wish NBC could come up with something half as good today!
  • "The Golden Girls" an Emmy Award-winning series is a show about four single women in Miami Beach, Florida, who are middle-aged but young at heart — trounced all competition, earning the title of number-one new series of the season.

The Golden Girls is one of the most warm-hearted tale series you could ever set your eyes upon. My first reaction when catching a glimpse of the show was how I would be interested. In my opinion it was like watching Nickelodeon’s “Zoey 101”, but then The Golden Girls became so much more than just four elderly room-mates learning to cope. Their friendship is a kind of love any woman would dream of having. The adventures and mishaps they solve together while finding the joy of comedy throughout the good and the bad is what brings these lovely ladies together.
  • The Golden Girls is a classic show that still today is one of the funniest shows ever.

What a show! From the theme song to the fantastic characters to the OUTRAGAEOUS storylines to the hilarious acting, The Golden Girls is a classic show that will forever remain one-of-a-kind. The theme song perfectly fits the show and it's quite fun to hum along with! The characters are simply perfect. Rose is my favorite but I always like the naive ones. Some of the innocent/ignorant stuff she says has me laughing for hours! But my favorites are the St. Olaf stories! hahaha! =) Dorothy's sarcasm is just priceless! Sophia is also beyond hilarious and remains one of TV's only Catholics. Blanche is, well, Blanche. If they had to kill off one character, I'd hope it'd be her. She's pretty funny sometimes but her arrogance gets on my nerves. I always feel that the others are too mean to Rose and while mild joking was funny, some of the things they said to her were pretty mean. Other than that, the show's perfect and I'm so excited all the seasons are getting released on DVD! =)
  • You don't have to be over fifty to indulge in and appreciate this show!

I think what makes this continuous Miami cheesecake party so much fun for women is that we all have or desire to have a little of each of these four characters in us. There is a child dying to come out (Rose) a teacher who longs to share her wisdom (Dorothy) a bad girl/princess (Blanche) and a no nonsense, wisecracking woman who never misses a beat (Sophia). As these women share cheesecake among other delicacies at the table in Blanche's beautiful, large kitchen, all of our conversations with other women are represented. All of us discuss sex, our families, previous relationships, dreams and aspirations and punctuate it all with a little or a lot of craziness as we see with Rose's endless stories of St. Olaf. These Nordic fairy tale like wild adventure stories told by Rose are a delightful contrast to Blanche's many true and exaggerated racy escapades. In the middle are Dorothy's hilarious disgust at both extremes and Sophia's predictably hilarious topper, "Picture it Sicily 19--" opposite Rose, and sexy senior citizen remarks opposite Blanche.

I appreciate the running theme of Stan's and Dorothy's love for one another that somehow continues even up to its affectionately platonic form in the last episode where Dorothy marries Lucas. Another intensely endearing and relatable theme is Dorothy's and Sophia's relationship with all the fighting, making up and affection that the unique mother-daughter relationship entails.

This is a racy comedy even by 21st century standards, and it deals with a lot of heavy thematic sexual elements, so it may offend a lot of people. However, if the conservative viewer can see the four women as symbols for the need of balance in her life - childlikeness, sophistication, sensuality and wit, this comedy through all of its worldly twists and turns can be any woman's occasional cup of coffee or tea and slice of cheesecake sans the calories.
  • The Golden Girls is a series about four women with completely opposite personalities living together.

The Golden Girls is an awesome show where the laughs never stop! It is easy to relate to even for younger viewers because one can relate to each of the characters at some point and I\'m sure all us girls have met a guy or two like stan lol. The cleverness, wit, and love so evident in the show is what makes it special. Also the fact that it tackled such topics as homosexuality and AIDS during the 80\'s really sets it aside from other shows!
  • Not bad.

I have never been a fan of this show. But I must say that it is still a classic in terms of acting and its impact on the comedy scene. Perhaps there is no other show that has tried to emulate this one. I guess you could say it's one of a kind. I think I have watched only a few episodes, but not entirely. I find the storylines and pace of the show a bit dragging. In fact, I can't watch a full episode because I get bored. Overall, while it's not a show I like, it still is a classic to others alike. Thank you.
  • Who knew?!

Who knew watching a show about four 'elderly' women and I use that term loosely, would be so entertaining! If you watch this show for nothing else - just watch it for the laughs! The banter and snarky remarks between the ladies is always sure to raise a chuckle out of anybody - who doesn't like grumpy old people have an argument! ( And arguments are something they have plenty of!) I really do love this show and it is easily a tv classic. The show was popular way back and a rerun or two can be seen on tv - The Golden Girls will never grow old! It simply doesn't age - the comedy in it is timeless!
  • hilarious

i find tht golden gris is an amazing comedy show tht combines everything needed to make an unoriginal concept very interesting.
    together we follow Blanche,Dorothy,Rose,and the other one for a ride tht no one will ever forget.
    Estellle \getty always stelas the show as Ma,and all four actresses act off of each other with such power and complexity u have to burst out with laughter everytime they get up with their mishaps.
    it is highly original and very very very very funny.
    i love all of the seasons and find something interresting everytime i watch this telly programme.
    i love it and if u havemnt already seen this show i recommend it.
  • Simply phenomenal

There are a number of words to describe this show, but not just one could describe all the things it was and still is. "The Golden Girls" was an honest, entertaining narrative about people coming out of middle age, but not quite yet at their twilight years. Each of the characters were well developed from the beginning and superbly portrayed. The writing was always so fresh, yet classic and because of that the show has remained relevant and has become timeless. While always hilarious, there always seemed to be some little piece of reality and a lesson taught in each episode. Dealing with issues like Alzheimer's Disease, AIDS, Addiction and just life in general, the show succeeded in more than just making us laugh. Now that the DVDs of the show have been released, it has found a new audience, as well as retaining it's old following. I started watching this show out of curiosity and was immediately hooked, I was in stitches at the simple, yet brilliant humor. Perfectly cast, the four actresses played off each other very well and all four of them very deservedly won Emmys for their performances. Shows like this are what television is all about and it is a shame that current sitcoms don't live up to the same caliber has ones of yesteryear. "The Golden Girls" will always have a place in television history as one of the very best programs written.
  • Please bring it back. I miss the show and would love to be able to relax and enjoy it again evey afternoon if possible.

It is a program that is well written, calming, refreshing, enjoyable and funny to break up my day.
    God Bless our dearly departed Estelle.......She was a great great lady. If only we had more shows like this today, but since we don't we have to rely on the old ones that brought us peace,and love.
    If they are brought back they will not only produce funds but bring relaxment, enjoyment, and a good funny to many. I know Canda missed programs like these, and would love to see them again and again.
    We never tire of watching simple, good, clean, shows of this nature.
  • One of my favorite shows ever!

The Golden Girls was one of the most daring sitcoms ever to be shown on television. What kind of audience wanted to see women in their 50s (and one in her 80s!) living out their lives as roommates? Sure, if they were 20, but 50? No prominent men in their lives, or anything! 50 year old women living life to the fullest. But the excellent character development, cast choice, scripting, and, well...nearly everything about the show made it a hit! Perhaps the Golden Girls' only real flaw is that it gives the three leading characters very predictable (yet believable, for the most part) personalities. Blanche is the love hound; Dorothy is the sensible, slightly more mature one; Rose is, well, the ditz; and Sophia is the crude one. The writers, however, develop on this excellently. They make the four very realistic characters. Blanche is very selfish and vain, but has a soft spot for her friends which no man can overpower. Dorothy is often the butt of Blanche's jokes, many of which come unintentionally, but she usually takes it in good humor. She can be selfish on occassions, but she generally does what is best for her friends and family. Hey, there has to be a mature one to keep the order of things. Rose is the airhead, whom Blanche often insults (something I'll never understand, because she's incredibly friendly). Her long-winded stories and unawareness often anger her friends, but she always forgives them for their, well...cruelty, I suppose the word is. Finally, there's Sophia. She's always mixed up in a get rich quick scheme or irregular activity which most senior citizens couldn't think of doing. Needless to say, the scripters excellently sculpted the characters. The actors' performances are outstanding, as well. With Bea Arthur's strong body language, Rue McClanahan's ability to create false innocence while she's insulting a friend, Betty White's perfect 'airhead' voice, and Estelle Getty's acting as an old woman, there are few moments where the cast's acting will let you down. Well, I began to ramble about 500 sentences ago, so I'd best wrap this up. The Golden Girls is an undisputed classic, and I would recommend it to any budding TV fanatic.
  • I just did not like this episode with its saddness.

2.5
    I thought that this episode was not that well written. I mean you know of a person, who we never met, and then you write an episode having him die. This was not one of my favorite episodes. I only wish that there had been an extra scene at the end where Sophia is lying on the couch and wakes up and realizes that this whole death was just a bad nightmare and that she learns the important lesson. That would have made the episode better, in my opinion. I do feel, with the writers, that this was an idea from out of the blue and was not that good.
  • classic

The Golden Girls ended the year i was born and still watching reruns now makes me laugh. Thats the true test, whether the show/ the jokes will still be funny not only years after the show ended but if they would entertain an audience that might've never even heard of the show and are too young to even know the actors. I began watching the reruns recently and i loved the series. i've seen Betty White in several movies before but not the other actors/actresses. Still despite that im still able to enjoy the banter, and awkward yet funny situations middle-aged woment get into.
  • The best show of all time

It would be impossible to say that people didn't love this show. Its was shown on saturday nights and was able to remain in the top 10 for 6 years. One could only imagine if the show was aired on a thursday night...perhaps an even greater legacy.

Its legacy is undoubtedly great. Its ability to appeal to a market of both young and old people and those in between is what makes it so popular. Every character was funny. Every Chracter had distinctive character traits that the writers used timelessly. Dorothy was the witty sarcastic one.
    Rose the dimwitted Blonde with the endless stories.
    Blanche was the promiscious southern belle, who never got sick of male company.
    Sophia was the blunt and frank old sicilian whose heart attack had killed off the part of her brain that censored what she said.

All the ladies won emmy's and were nominated countlessly. The show won the emmy for best comedy twice and was nominated six times. That kind of record highlights the shows humour and timelessness.

A classic.
  • superb

this is one of those shows i am really surprised i even considered watching, let alone like. i would not tell anyone i watch this, because i doubt any of my friends have heard of it, and if so, they wouldn't like it, i am betting. but as for me, episodes i have seen have a good balance between emotion and humor. i also find that the main characters are very likable. My overall grade for this is a B because whilst I do like it, I do not consider it a perfect program by any means. Still very good
  • The Golden Girls is undoubtibly one of the best sitcoms in televison history.

I was actually surprised that this show only ran for seven seasons, and I just got the final season yesterday. I now have all seven. And am seriously happy. The Golden Girls has a ingenious storyline and use of all kinds of humor, one, in particualar, black humor. When I was just five, I would seriously laugh at hhow funny this was. I thought this would go longer than seven seasons.

Wow, I mean this has to be on of the most intellegent piece of work since The Simpsons. This is a show that takes hold of you and doesn't let go.