The Golden Girls

Sick and Tired (2)

Aired Unknown Sep 30, 1989 on NBC

• Part 2 of the Dorothy is sick story. The best part is Blanche's attempts to be a great southern writer.

The whole Dorothy sick story is really too much for me. Did we really need two episodes to go through all of this? It goes on way too long and then at the end when she confronts the doctor it is really obnoxious. Nobody would do that and no one would put up with it. A real case of Susan Harris getting on a soapbox and it really grates. I turn the sound off at the end of this one. Imagine saying 'you better start listening to your patience' A low point for the series.
    The Blanche story line however is a treat. When Blanche sees little balls of sunshine in a bag, it is really funny!
  • LOVE IT!

This, again, is one of my very favorites. It picks up where part one left off. Dorothy is still on the search to finding out what is wrong with her. She is still getting told she is crazy and the results are all the same. Then she finally finds out the truth: she has Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. This is close to my heart because i have it too. This disease should be brought to light more and people should know about it. Blanche has stayed up to write her novel and is very sleep deprived. The sleep deprivation has gone to her head and caused her to becaome loopy, for lack of a better word. She is absolutely hilarious and utters some of the funniest lines during the whole series.
  • This episodes closing moments when Dorothy confronts the doctor she spoke too in New York, and lets him have it for giving her a poor diagnosis of just "getting old" and recommend that she see a psychiatrist, the audience applauded in agreement.

It was good to see Richard Mulligan and Park Overall as their characters from Empty Nest in this episode. The scenes that stole the show was Blanche being all loopy from being up and focusing everything on her book, and not Rose being considered the flake. The end moments with Sophia found a way to pay for an expensive bottle of champagne by making it taste bad had me laughing hysterically that it actually worked and the restaurant offered to pay for their meal surprising Dorothy, Blanche and Rose.

• Dorothy feeling helpless that doctors find nothing wrong with her that leaves her to believe that she could be dying. Blanche continues her romance novel, which leaves her in state of delirium and.

This episode of The Golden Girls is my all time favorite episode. Sick and Tired is one of the best written episodes of the series. In honor of Rue's passing, this episode stands out as her best performance as Blanche. Blanche stumbling into the kitchen after 72 hours without sleep and spouting off how she wrote the romance novel to end all romance novels, then comes to the island and see's the egg yolks in the bag from Rose's omelette's. Blanche's lines from there on are on of best ever to come out of a comedians mouth. The whole delirium is some of the best comedic performance that any comedian could want to aspire to, it ranks up to the comedy gold of Lucy or to the even zanier antics of Carol Burnett. Thank you Rue for being are friends and giving us a character that we well always love forever.