The Golden Girls

The Engagement (a.k.a.) The Pilot

Aired Unknown Sep 14, 1985 on NBC

• Not bad, considering it's a pilot.

7.2
    What can you say? It's the pilot episode, so of course it can't be expected to be as good as a regular episode, it's just supposed to prove that it CAN be good - which it does. I'm not a big fan of watching it very often (it's too weird and different from the rest of the series). Words do not express how wonderful it is that they made the decision to get rid of Coco. Ew. The series would've fallen flat on its face if they'd tried to keep him. Sophia was a MUCH better choice. She rocks! It is odd how in this episode (and in a lot of season one) she seems so much older and less with it than in the rest of the series. She's still funny but like a completely different character later on. In the early episodes, they make it seem like she's mean because of her stroke... but later on it's more like that's just how she always was. She's definitely a highlight in this episode, though... probably the best thing about it. Anyway, even if it's not the best thing to watch, I'm very glad the pilot did so well, so that we could continue to see amazing episodes of this fabulous show for a long time afterwards!