The Golden Girls

Wham, Bam, Thank You, Mammy

Aired Unknown Oct 20, 1990 on NBC

• Review of GG S6 E5

Why should the topic have been left alone? Because it was controversial? A topic of this type which the producers were NOT afraid to deal with, is one of the MANY reasons this show will live in syndication for many, many years. It was unrealistic for a white Southern man to be romantically linked to his black domestic, according to who? Maybe Curtis Hollingsworth had more courage than he was willing to admit, but he GENUINELY LOVED Viola Watkins, just NOT for public consumption, and that's OK!!!!
  • Mammy and Mr. O'Hara

This is one of perhaps three episodes of the Golden Girls in which the writers tried too hard to deal with a topic that probably should have been left alone. Instead, they glamorize a sobering situation (in this case, an extra-marital affair) by sensationalizing the romance between Big Daddy (a white Southerner) and his (black) hired help, Blanche's Mammy. Can any one of us imagine ourselves in Blanche's shoes, finding out someone whom we trusted and loved ruined our parents' marriage by cheating with one of them? Yet Mammy makes the statement, "I don't need your forgiveness! I did nothing wrong!" Um...okay. And now Mammy wants a momento of her homewrecking days. She has come to see Blanche to acquire a music box.

Entirely selfish. Yet we as the audience is supposed to sympathise with Mammy and reproach Blanche. This rankled.