The Golden Girls

Yes, We Have No Havanas

Aired Unknown Oct 08, 1988 on NBC

• Blanche and Sophia fight over the same man and it's all out war. Meanwhile Dorothy and Rose are involved in a silly side story about high school and way too many Hitler references!

By Season 4 the show had really hit its stride. The Blanche vs Sophia battle here for Fidel is filled with the kind of one liners that are the trademark of the series.
    Sophia's comments can sometimes come off as a little mean but here we finally get to see someone giving Blanche what she so richly deserves. When she calls her a fifty year old mattress it's really funny. Sophia works her magic and outwits Blanche as only she can.
    The side story doesn't cut it. After a silly Hitler joke, Dorothy pronounces that Rose is a high school graduate. Way too unrealistic, even for the Golden Girls.
  • You're only gonna sit in an inch of water?

This is the type of episode that I just really seem to like to watch a lot... the jokes are funny and they don't get old, and it has an interesting plot. It's fun to see Blanche and Sophia competing for a man... who would have thought? I also love the way the episode ends. The funeral scene is great. The only thing I don't like about the episode is the side plot with Rose taking a class from Dorothy. Why?? Every other episode implies that Rose did graduate from high school, but even if she didn't, why the crap with Hitler being her high school teacher? That's so out of the realm of believability it's ridiculous, and unlike mose of the ridiculous stuff, they actually seem to expect you to buy this one. I don't like that at all, but the episode is still funny, one I thoroughly enjoy watching, and a highlight from the fourth season.
  • To me, season four was when the show was at it's best.

I absolutely loved this whole storyline, except for the continuity errors that it brings up later about Rose graduating or not graduating from high school. I thought the whole Blanche and Sophia story was great and Rose taking a class at the school was very funny. This was a cleverly written episode.