The Golden Palace

Tad

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Apr 16, 1993 on CBS

• The one where we find out Blanche's secret.

I happen to like this episode for possibly a different reason than most would. I am from right near the town that Tad is living, Chattanooga. Therefore this episode was very close to me in a way. However, I got so mad because the characters kept saying "Chattanooga" wrong. It's "CHATTAnooga" not "CHATTanooga", but that's pretty much the only qualm I had this episode. It was quite a shock to me that Blanche had a mentally challenged brothe and the fact that she kept him hidden for so long was heartbreaking.

I really loved the performance Ned Beatty as Tad. He easily could have gone over the top, but did just splendidly. He gave the character warmth and you really felt for him for the way Blanche treated him. Betty White was so great when doing her scenes with Beatty especially in the one at the end about the Valentine card. Rue McClanahan was very revealing in this episode and I loved how she finally accepted Tad at the end and told him he could come and stay at The Golden Palace whenever he wanted. I was extremely shocked at how she didn't want Rose to be near Tad because of what was wrong with him. However, the whole episode came together at the end and was superbly acted by all.