A The Good Wife Community
CBS (ended 2016)

The Good Wife S05E15: "Dramatics, Your Honor"

Folks. I'm wrecked.

I'm exhausted. I'm jetlagged. Something horrible happened in the most recent episode of Hannibal that had already kind of upset me. But this? This... this had me crying.

I mean, I have a critical response to Will's death—boy, it sure is a handy and lazy way to resolve whether or not Will would've testified against Peter in Dubeck's little crusade!—but, dammit, I don't care right now. I'll care soon, I'm sure, but right now I just... need to not do my normal analysis. We can do it in the comments, but I'm not going to do it it here, not yet.

Even as Will grew angry and petty and singularly focused on ignoring his feelings in an effort to crush Alicia—all claims that his crusade wasn't completely personal be damned—I still loved Will Gardner. I really always have. He was a cocky and crafty lawyer, willing to do anything to win, skirting just on (and sometimes over) the edge of the law. He was the quintessential TV defense attorney, but never completely loathsome. It does help that The Good Wife is populated with plenty of cynical, amoral characters, so that instead of Will existing on a spectrum where the two endpoints are Shining Knight Attorney and Irredeemable Defense Attorney, he exists within a range that cuts off somewhere between those two archetypes, with a trickster lawyer like Elsbeth being as "good" a character as the show is interested in depicting.

And as much as Will loved the finer things that practicing law afforded him, they didn't always consume him. Take his insistence on Jeffrey's innocence, for example—even though it was one of those cases that exists on legal TV shows to help soften up the defense attorney as a character, it illustrated that Will's dedication to and mobilization of the law wasn't always for his own personal gain. Sure, from a character psychological standpoint, the thrill of getting Jeffrey freed would've fed into the conversation Will had with Kalinda, about the thrill of doing what they do, but it did help someone else (provided we believe that Jeffrey was innocent; Will certainly did). So while the law was always a game for Will, it was a game that he played to win for his client, because a win for his client also meant a win for him.

On the flip side of the law were Will's relationships with those around him. I expect that we'll be thinking more about those relationships as the season winds down and individual characters respond to things, but here are some quick thoughts:

– I can't think of a more embittered-but-loving pair than Will and Diane. An affectionate working relationship that never felt contrived or pointless because of the lack of sexual tension between the two. They could high-five, scheme, and dance, and it always felt like no matter what they ended up doing to each other, they'd always have each other's backs.

– With Kalinda, there was the sense that Will didn't care about her past. He didn't need to know her secrets or to understand the enigma that is Kalinda. He respected the woman Kalinda became after she fled Nick's stupidly stupid clutches, but he didn't care about Nick. That stuff just didn't matter to him. Will and Kalinda understood one another in their own "there's us and then everybody else" ways, and I'm so glad that they had that scene in the bar. "Want a hug?" "Stupid."

– Alicia... Alicia is thornier, trickier. Will gave her that helping hand when no one else would, he carried that torch, tried to make a case for himself, and then licked his wounds when it didn't work. But those months when they were together? During those months, Alicia was happier than she'd ever been since we'd met her, and Will was the most fulfilled by something other than the law than we'd ever seen (or would ever see) him. Those months cost them both a great deal, and as we'll likely see, Alicia isn't completely done paying for them.

And that leaves us with Josh Charles. I've been a big fan of his since Sports Night, and in fact, his presence helped spur me to check out The Good Wife after a professor of mine told me I should be watching it (I came in halfway through Season 1). So much of Will's likability was due to Charles. He'd hit lines near-perfectly: cocky without being annoyingly arrogant, and with an elegant deadpan that would crack with a rakish grin. Charles does sad, soulful eyes like few actors on television can, a skill he likely honed while making sure that if an audience member in the last row of a theater performance couldn't see them, they could damn well feel them. Say what you will about whether you ever truly brought into Will's deep, unrequited love for Alicia, but if there's someone to fault for you not buying it, I'd point the finger at The Good Wife's writers and not Charles. He either made sure the material worked just well enough, or—in the case of Will's loathing of Peter—he actually transformed what was written into something suffocatingly palpable, in a good way.

Which brings us to the gangbuster of a run that The Good Wife gave Charles this year (according to Deadline, this has been the plan pretty much since the start of the season). We've certainly been theorizing as to what would happen to Will since Charles' contract is almost up, and with meaty episode after meaty episode for him—especially, of course, "The Decision Tree"—it seemed that the show was trying to convince him to stay when it was actually giving him a well-deserved swan song to go out with. The Good Wife, and television in general, is a little poorer now that Josh Charles and Will Gardner won't be appearing on our screens each week.

SIDEBAR

– A few additional critical responses: THAT'S A SHIT-TON OF FALSIFIED BALLOTS. There's no possible way there were that many. C'mon, show. Also: Did I like how things went down? No, not really. I think an additional episode with Jeffrey to build the story a bit more would've helped a lot, but then The Good Wife might've overplayed its hand. And, surprise!—violent character deaths, while shocking and emotional, also feel like you've been cold-cocked from behind, something I'm not sure I'm ever happy with. However, how much did you love that we had a pure procedural episode this week, with no inter-firm warring?

– I never ever ever ever recognize Matthew Goode, who played the fantastically named Finn Polmar.

– Alicia's stern, icy, "No. I'm good." just felt so great during Dubeck's deposition.

– Here's the promo for what's coming up. Yet again, CBS has put together another great trailer for the season. (Thanks to @Ladybug_Jojo24 for getting me a link so quickly!)

What did you think of "Dramatics, Your Honor"? How about sharing some of your favorite Will moments in the comments?

236 Comments
Comments (236)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Just devastating! I knew it was coming but coud not help being in tears after watching the episode.
I never cry for these kind of things. NEVER; because I know all the tricks! I have to admit they got me there.
Quite surprising because I'm invested in a lot , A LOT of tvshow..... but WOW first time in 10 Years now that I am gutted devastated and angry about the death of a character.

Flag

I loved the Will/Alicia thing in this show, saw last nights episode In UK and there was Will dead on a hospital bed. Are you kidding me!
Quite gutted, he was one of the best characters and just when I thought things might get heated up again sometime soon, Bang!!
Flag
Wonderful, wonderful episode for a so far flawless season. But I fear for the future of the show. Will Gardner was, by far, the most interesting character in TGW.
Flag
That episode left me gutted. I cried like a baby. I didn't know that Josh Charles was leaving, so it was a total shock. I love it when writers do these kinds of things before a finale and without any hype. I'd much prefer a sucker punch than to see it coming a mile away. I am so sick of promo trailers that either build up hype over nothing, or that spoil what should have been a powerful, surprising moment. Well done TGW writers.
Flag
I avoided spoilers like a champ. I even DVR'd the episode (to marathon the episodes since the break) only to have Amazing Race or something go over this one by 40 minutes. I'm lucky it did because I could not have handled this episode with anyone else home! Now I recall that Josh Charles was leaving but boy was I ever mad until I got to Noel's review. I was ready to compare the shooting to a Grey's stunt but as I reflect I am actually excited to see where this goes. To write out a character perfectly is never easy but I think the aftershocks of this one will play out very well. I still might ask my mother to stop watching to avoid a heart attack though.
Flag
OH COME ON!
REALLY!
ever since Taraji P.Henson/Jos Carter died in the Person of interest the show is not that great. and I LOVED it until. Now Jos Charles/Will Gardner is also dead/leaving!!!!
For me its over.
Like Hensen Gardner was one of the leading/important role.
well will see.
Flag
unfortunately i came across the spoiler by accident but I'm not sure if I'm annoyed that I knew before watching the episode or relieved I had the heads up so I wasn't blindsided. I have no real bond with the 'Will' character so it didn't destroy me, although don't get me wrong it was shocking. I do think purely as a plot point its brilliant as it adds another dimension to the show and a the perfect showcase for the actors left behind to deal, to shine in the aftermath of this tragedy.
Good luck Josh, wherever this leads you next...
Flag
I was also spoiled and ok with it. I generally prefer advance notice on my deaths, to be honest. But. . . since I knew it was coming, I was hypothesizing ways for him to go, and I unfortunately thought of a couple that were better than what they wrote, so I was a bit disappointed with how it went down. I thought, Oh wait, shooting, I guess this must be the uninspired way this is happening. . .
Flag
I wasn't caught up, so I knew what happened. I still wasn't prepared... I'm destroyed, and all I can hope is Alicia goes from a saint to a goddess and pulls me from the wreckage while she assumes her true glory from the fire of mourning... Also Kalinda and Diane.
Flag
Im sitting here with my mouth hanging open, didnt see that coming at all!
Flag
The Good Wife is the best and most intelligent drama TV show right now - maybe with the exception of Games of Thrones - and it is filled with great actors - Of course Julianna Margulies aka Alicia Florrick is outstanding but even Archie Panjabi aka Kalinda Sharma and Christine Baranski as Diana Lockhart make the show interesting - Personally I think that it's the women in the show who make the show fly - This last episode (E15) was great - especially Alicia's conversation with Nelson Dubeck - She totally dominated the scene - The death of Will Gardner (Josh Charles) was really dramatic - shocking and unexpected - I can't wait to see the next and last eps of season 5 - And how can I wait for so long until the next season? - For there will at least be another season - Yay!!! - Maybe I should re-watch all the previous seasons so I won't forget what it all is about until the fall
Flag
I'm crushed, I totally didn't see this coming. Sure I read Noel's reviews saying Charles was leaving and then I totally forgot about it, hence the aforementioned crushdom. Is this the most cruel thing a show has ever done? To me it feels worse than anything on GoT or Tara on Buffy or anything else. There was no Mad Men-style doom foreshadowing and I just wasn't sufficiently prepared to take a hit like this. He was dispatched so unceremoniously and every single second I believed he would pull through, until I didn't.

I'm not a psycho 'shipper like most interneters but the closest I ever came was Alicia and Will. They were so well-suited for some reason I always believed they would gravitate back to each other eventually so I'm equally gutted about that.
Flag
Woah, can't believe you just compared it to Tara on Buffy. I guess you really were devastated about this Will thing! It's no where near as upsetting as Tara, for me!
Flag
I read about what happened before I watched the episode, but it didn't lessen the blow one bit. Will Gardener will always be the male lead in The Good Wife for me. Yes, he wasn't the knight in shining armor, but that was always the beauty of The Good Wife. All the characters had varying shades of gray. Josh Charles's eyes and his portrayal makes it real tough to hate Will Gardener, to the extent that I hated to see Lockhardt-Gardener even to Florrick-Argos.

I don't have much to say about the rest of the episode and I just don't care. I am going to miss Josh Charles as Will Gardener.
Flag
so did anyone else notice that Alicia was holding a glass of beer and then the hamburger in the dinner scene??
Flag
I think Michael J Fox will ease the pain. I love him and I love his character.
Flag
nah!
Flag
I just saw this episode tonight thru On Demand. It was almost ruined by catching the beginning of Charles' interview with Letterman last night. Thankfully, it did not fully register in my brain that that something happens to him or how, but it was there in the back of my mind.

I thought the episode was OK. It looked a little like a last minute decision and sort of rushed. The scene of Panjabi and Baranski (now there is a law firm name) at the hospital seemed lacking in real energy and emotion. I chalk it up to not so great acting here. Maybe, for me, had the episode not been so Charles focused, and had a lot more going on at a fast clip, as it often does, and then, "bam", he's shot in the process might have had a better impact.

I could take or leave Charles, so his death was not that striking for me, if at all. It will be interesting if Alicia and Cary return to Diane, or she goes to them, or one returns to Diane with a new star to take over for a third partner, or if just Diane and Alicia, etc.

The interesting thing here is the case against Peter and the Bogosian got his info from the NSA wiretapping. That, I am guessing, will be the big revelation and the lawyers are going to come together over this to fight it. There is a chance the whole voter fraud case may get thrown out over it anyway, so Will's death may not matter for the case in the long run. Too bad we won't see how his character will react to it.

I find it amusing no one seems to have noticed the litigator played by Michael Boatman long ago disappeared from the show unless i missed something.

By the way, if anyone i still reading these posts, was anyone bothered by the bright white "eyelert" pop-ups for The Mentalist every 10 minutes? Seemed rude considering how important the episode was and CBS seemed to care more about promoting that rather than letting viewers get pulled into what was happening.
More+
Flag
I liked the episode for the most part, except for the critical error that ruined it -- it is simply not realistic for the armed guard to stand so close to a criminal defendant with a handgun holstered, but unstrapped. Not only that, the guard most certainly would have used a Retention Holster for added security. The Kings made a very bad error.
Flag
I'm betting that will be addressed in the next episode. The preview seems to show Carey suing some one and for personal reasons (Likely Will's wrongful death). So the handgun was probably left unstrapped on purpose.
Flag
I'm completely shocked about this and I'm still not able to process it properly. After so many years watching this show and caring for its characters, the death of Will Gardner feels like a major slap in the face. Yes, I've cried my eyes out.

And now I'm a little bit angry: as stated by Noel, this feels like a lazy and yes quite soapy way to undermine the whole Dubeck/fraud storyline, but also ultimately to say goodbye to this character, especially when the whole season spent that much time on him and make him shine through stellar scenes (Josh Charles is an immense actor, there's no doubt about this, and I wish him all the best for whatever he's doing next).
His relationship with Alicia, their chemistry and his unique partnership with Diane have been rooted into this show's core identity. He was this cocky, arrogant attorney, but with that suggested vulnerability that made him so much more compelling.

I have faith into this show, but to be honest I'm not sure if it's going to survive this loss, may they bring Louis Canning as a permanent partner (and in Will's office straight away? THAT PLACE IS A SHRINE, OK?) or build Cary as the next big thing in the land of charismatic defense attorneys. Don't get me started on the Peter and Alicia relationship which for me has been doomed from the start (I've never liked Peter's character one bit, despite Chris Noth who always brought his A game to play Florrick), and I hope the writers are going to put an end to it at some point, especially since they've closed the door for any Will and Alicia reunion after spending five years implying they were basically soulmates.

i'm intrigued but also really weary about the next steps. I've spent two days thinking "fuck it I'm going to boycott it" but then I've realised this show deserves more than a chance. It's just been too good with us until now.
More+
Flag
Also, it made me think of Billy's death in the courtroom in Ally McBeal, which is really weird. 90's throwback people?
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Holy moly that was awesome.
Flag
I absolutely hated what they did to Will. I think thy've gone and ruined there own show, as so many do these days (anything Sondra Rimes writes goes in the toilet). Is this the final season? Only thing that would please me is if Will isn't really dead at all, but just pretending so he can get out of the testifying deliema? I guess I watch too many soap operas ...or just wishful thinking!! Without Will, there is no show...so I guess we'll be saying good bye to everyone very soon. Sad, sad This was by far my favorite show.
You really have ruined it for me.
Flag
Guns kill people. He's definitely dead...there's no way he can come back from a death like that. Maybe if he were in a plane the disappeared or if he were lost in the wilderness, or in a coma, but not this.
Flag
I'm so shocked!!!! It comes out of the blue and how it's possible we didn't hear anything about it on the web???!!!
And I'm sorry but I don't get it and I'm not comprehensive............. WHY ON EARTH JOSH CHARLES WANT IT OUT???? This show is great and this season explosive, his characther comes back bigger than ever and he want out?!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I felt betrayed, I really believe in this project, how could he abandon us!?
(yes I'm emotional and probably needing some psychoterapy about this :P )
Flag
I cannot believe they did it. We knew he might not come back next season, but not that they would kill him of half way this season. And kill him??? Why not do anything else with him???? Death is so permanent and ok it will make better dramatic impact to the evolution of the rest of the characters, but seriously???? Last spring it was Robb Stark, this year Will. Springs are bad :((((
Flag
Also, I do feel that with hyping this "event" and building the election fraud up so that it rested on Will's decision, killing him is a lazy solution.
Not to mention that now he will not return in the last episode for a glorious reconciliation and happily-ever-after with Alicia, as I was hoping in that girlish heart of mine... Sad.
Flag
Thanks for writing it in this personal and emotional way, Noel. It makes me feel a little less silly about being so, SO unhappy about this "twist." I, too, loved Will and the tension between him and Alicia (whatever stage they were currently on) was always the dramatic axis that kept me in love with this show. I don't know how they will – and I – will get over it, honestly.
Flag
Wow... I don't even know what to say. I feel like I was just punched in the gut. I didn't see this coming at all. I give the writers props for doing something so dramatic with his departure instead of just sending him off to jail or off to a different law firm. I am just so shocked by this and I don't even know how to react. I'm sure while watching the next episode I'll be crying throughout the whole thing. Wow, just wow.
Flag
Okay, I admit that I actually cried. This show is awesome! I'm going to miss Will but I can't wait to see how Diane steps it up. I know Carey is going to come into his own as well. I'm a Micheal J Fox fan, but I don't know if I want him on the show all the time.
Flag
Dear Will
I am sorry when I judged you and thought you were extending the ethical edge with some of your clients. I misjudged you when you decided to be with that possessive, tattooed blonde woman, when you were so nasty to Alicia after she left (and maybe her brother is right; she had to distance herself from you) and when you were unkind to Peter, even though he deserved it.
Please forgive me and come back. I miss you. I guess I understand. You couldn't just move away. You had to die. It had to be final. Ok, I get it.
But could you at least given us all a little hint???
Flag
I did not see that coming. I always envisioned that Will and Alicia would be together in the end (I'm a hopeless romantic). I'm struggling to figure out how the show will go forward from here, Yes its called the "Good Wife" but it called have been called the "Alicia and Will show!". I don't get I don't get it. I have just finished watching it so hopfully when the shock wears off ill be able to process it.
Flag
Im so upset over this. Is it immature to say I cant watch this show anymore? Because I loved Will, moreso than Alicia actually. This is just too upsetting.
Flag
I am in so much shock. I guess it will sink in eventually, but like many fans of the show this feels painfully real and devastating. I love the way the author describes everything Josh brought to the character, and tend to agree that maybe the writers didn't give him enough to work with. Maybe he got bored being somewhat relegated in the past few seasons, personally I would have preferred a lot less Peter and the kids and much more Will, especially knowing his character is now gone for good.

I think the fact is that Will was more popular than Alicia in many people's hearts and minds, so this just feels like a huge slap in the face. I wanted them together as endgame but more than that I wanted Will to get the happiness he deserved and that clearly eluded him with any other woman besides Alicia.

When the writers' letter defending the decision mentioned the center of the show being "Alicia's journey" it felt like an added insult. In earlier seasons, they made Will the undercurrent of her interior life. This feeling never entirely went away. Regardless of where these two were in their relationship, we always wanted to see them interact together, their chemistry was integral to the mood and emotional life of the show.

Alicia's journey seems a foregone conclusion at this point. She will dump Peter and find love again maybe, but there will be a nod to Will that will just break the viewer's hearts all over again. They ruined the ending of this show, forever, imo.

Maybe I just can't see it now, but I don't understand people talking about the great new direction this opens up for the show. Of course, mega plot openings/possibilities, but for me it feels hollow. Do I still care about Kalinda and Diane? Did Cary's flash of Will-esque fury excite me? Very much so, but I am mad and sad and they are going to have to go some way to make me forget this pain and trust or care about this world again. It feels sort of shattered, to be as melodramatic as possible. All of this said I think they handled the shooting in typical amazing Good Wife style, I just wish they didn't have to rip my heart out with a crowbar in the process!
More+
Flag
How the F*** can they kill off Will?! That is so so sad! Though I always like when main characters aren't invinsible and die - but like that! Why?
I don't know what I feel about it other than sad and surprised!
Flag
I feel the manner in which Will was killed off just too unexpectedly zany.Death is dumb. I don't want to have anything to do with it.
Flag
Well, this will shake up the show for sure and probably help secure a season 6.

Will's death is the perfect catalyst.

Out he goes, in comes Micheal J. Fox. With his sitcom being cancelled, certainly one can see how this is a very good strategic move to bring him in. But for him to be there, Will had to go, and he went out with a 'bang'.

Now Dubeck's case goes out the window now for he's got nobody else to bully into witnessing against Gov. Floreck.

No, I know, I was shocked to see him die, but, in a way, this will more than likely save the show.

There will (pardun the pun) literally be new dynamics in the show, and this will challenge Lockhart's firm, I tell ya, it's gonna be a nice roller coaster of events.

I'm looking forward to this.

From the previews, Alicia and the Gov would seem to be going towards splitsville, and that, I would believe at this point would be another good thing. :)
Flag
Read this http://tvline.com/2014/03/23/the-good-wife-will-dies-josh-charles-leaving-interview/

And also Noel's latest episode review. It explains a lot.
Flag
Yep.. saw it.. oh well.. my hypothesis is wrong.. :) Happens!
Flag
The show was already renewed. This was not a stunt to get a season six. Josh Charles wanted to leave the show. He can do it because his contract is up. They wanted him to stay but he wanted to do something else so they had to find a way to let him go.

The Kings (the writers) could have said he moved to another city or find some other reason but they decided this was the best way.

The Kings even wrote a letter to explain to all the fans why they did it this way. Just go to the CBS official website or goggle it.
Flag
I live outside the U.S., was the show in any real doubt for renewal? I have to disagree that this will "save the show", sorry. They devastated the majority of the fanbase's expectations for a happy ending. They chose art over legacy. Who will buy the boxsets now when it's done? Who will want to re-invest their hearts knowing they are about to be broken all over again? Of course I know the show has many more great layers besides Will/Alicia, but it was its heart, its core, and they have gutted it. I would be amazed if many of its fans don't desert it once the Will grieving period has been played out. They messed up, bigtime.
Flag
no, no, no.....if anything this insures a large viewer drop off and the last of this show. It can't go anywhere from here. Aren't you reading any of the other replies about how much we absolutely hate this?
Flag
As above !
Flag
I understand the actor wanted out but why KILL HIM?
No No and No!
Just No!
Noooooooooooooo!!!! (still in denial....)
Flag
Cos Will would never leave. Having him just take off to some distant location would have been silly and wouldn't have fit with the character. After all the work he put into LG, all of a sudden he just packs his bags? That would make no sense.
Flag
Jail would be better!!!!! Alicia and her 2 men in and out of prison LOL
Flag
How does that cut him out of the show? He'd probably be in the same jail as Peter so he'd still be able to appear. And having him actually go to jail would mean he'd be disbarred. Thus, castrating him of any usefulness to the story. What is he gonna do? Become a PI? Better to kill him off than write him a mediocre & depressing ending that adds nothing to the story.
Flag
there were lots of other ways this could have been handled. As I said, they could only be pretending he is dead....and still keep the character alive & the rest of us still hoping....
Flag
Like what? What other thing could they have done that would have made sense for Will's character?
Flag
JAIL!
Flag
I cried. Period.
Flag
My biggest problem with the show was always summed up by the title "The Good Wife"--it stuck Alicia always coming back to being a weak, obnoxious wife who stayed by her dirtbag of a husband. It kept her from walking away, getting a divorce, finding someone new. It kept the writers forced to write a mary sue, stodgy moralizing character when they wanted to write a fiesty take charge woman, it kept Alicia mired in ridiculous Peter plots, and it kept them constantly trying to tell us why she stayed (the kids, duty). Whiny kids' plots, Alicia hamstrung by a marriage that SHOULD have been over, and no exploration of the chemistry and snark that was Will and Alicia. They were done in by the premise and the fact that they never got rid of it the way they should have. And with Will gone? I'm done. Oh well, I always have hope that TPTB will find their footing again, until they cross an irredeemable line. This was my line.
Flag
I need more FB friends that watch this show, I have expressed my sadness twice and nobody cares! Will is dead, he's dead, there are just no words! But at least I can come to mourn here, I think for me this is the most shocking TV moment in my life because it came out of nowhere.
Flag
I care!!!!
Flag
OMG not WILL!!!!!! what were they thinking. I didnt see that coming. Kalinda's face on seeeing him shot is forever seared in my consiousness. Am so mad at Will and at the frigging writers. Awesomely done though.
Flag
This has been a rough couple weeks on television. First, "The Grove" episode on The Walking Dead. Then, Hettienne Park on Hannibal. Now, Will getting killed on The Good Wife. It's too much.

I was completely shocked. At first, I hope this was some kind of Dubeck trick to nail Peter by faking Will's death, so Peter would feel safe and incriminate himself. (I know I was grasping at straws but...Damn!) Josh Charles did great work this season. He was on fire. I really thought the show would end with him and Alicia finally being together.

Sappy, I know but I wanted it.
Flag
noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Flag
i choose to believe he's gone to heavens elevator, and he's waiting for alicia
Flag
Now that is an end-of-show shot right there.
Flag
I only started watching (binge watching that is) the Good Wife during the last couple of weeks, but it was SHOCKING to see Will dead. It was TOO much like real life, and I had become attatched to the characters. I can't imagine the show without him!

I suspect one of the reasons it IS so shocking and upsetting is that there were no last words, there was no comforting meaning, no one had a chance to say goodbye. It was, I repeat, TOO much like real life. He just died in the hands of the medical personal. That is too sad for words....:(
Flag
Will was my favorite character; his abrupt death was shocking. The previews showed Michael J. Fox taking over Will's office. I am so sick of him. Please let that be nothing but a bad dream.
Flag
How strange that it's almost as if I stopped breathing when they found him dead. And now I am waiting for my breath to come back. How strange that a show can affect you this way. How strange that is takes so long for the air to flow back in. Bye Will! You loveble made up character of this highly likeble show I sometimes watch! So unprepared was I.
Flag
Going trough the 5 stages of grief right now... At first, there was Denial: "No, surely its just a dream Alicia's having! He can't be dead". Then came Bargaining: "What can I do to bring Will back?" Then came Depression (I literally cried). And now I'm at Anger. There was no closure, no happy ending. Will is just gone. How can they do this?? I know the Kings were put in an awful position by Charles quitting, and they really did make the best out of it. But my favorite television character of all time is still dead. I guess Acceptance comes eventually, but not any time soon.
Flag
Ok, so let's put it this way; I couldn't watch the episode till just now and obviously the twist was ruined for me as someone had (as always) updated their Facebook status outing the big *boom* in the episode... Still, it dried out my heart and then broke it into a million little pieces...

Poor Diane!! Kalinda is... Kalinda! Carrie's on fire! And Alicia... oh my!

I'm still shocked, a little choked up, and completely devastated. Yet I have to applaud the writers... I believe in you because I've seen you take the whole setup apart and bring us this wonderful season despite the haters, and with this shocking humongous twist, I'm sure you won't let the ball drop now either.

I've been telling people since long that The Good Wife is one of the best of the best series on television right now. Looking forward to seeing where its headed next...
Flag
sorry, but I don't agree. They really have ruined my favorite show. It happens too often on TV these days. We get hooked and then the writers go off in a different direction and ruin a winning show.
Flag
Nothing can be predictable or remain as what we'd expect it to be, change is inevitable and depending on the artistic minds behind it, it can be for the good. Yes, they could have kept Will alive and continued the whole arc of Florick-Agos going against Lockhart-Gardener in the court... but they'd already done a lot of superb episodes on that and honestly the whole ballot box doesn't make a strong story either. In other words, I seriously believe that they not only didn't chance things getting stale and deteriorate but they also shook up the foundation of the series paving a way ahead for the writers to show us their talents in a whole new light...

I'd rather have them be creative and mix things up to keep the ball rolling (with the interest of the viewers piqued and more) than to let the series become stale.

Anyhow... Everyone has their own opinions for sure! Perhaps as you watch the upcoming episodes, you may find them far better than you could have ever expected. Not to mention, I may be wrong and what's coming ahead may not be worth watching! Time will tell ;)
Flag
A real shocker. But it does open up so many avenues for the future and I trust that the writers will handle it as well as they have handled the story so far.

I'm going to come out and say it: I think The Good Wife is the best network show at the moment. In my book it's even slightly better than POI. Yeah, I said it. Third on the list would probably be Hannibal. The flow of the dialogue works so well. It's so sharp, so clever, it just bounces back and forth between the characters. The show is simply very well crafted. Me liking this show is even more surprising considering that I don't really care for legal dramas, but The Good Wife is special.
Flag
I really liked the character personally my favorite and its hard to see how they replace him but did anyone else find it a bit sleezy that he was prompting the client to say he was at the same coffee shop so his DNA magically jumped like fleas to the passing victim, trying to get a would be rapist/murderer off by any means necessary left me cold.
Flag
that is the law. In real life.....everyone is entitled to the "best" defense they can get. I didn't like that he was going to get off in such a sleezey way either, but just watch your local news. It happens every day.
Flag
It really is the job of the defense attorney to do everything in their power to defend their client (right to a defense etc etc.) and Will actually believes in his innocence.
DNA sounds like a very scientific irrefutable proof but in this case it was the ONLY real evidence against the accused. If I remember the case right (this was a few eps back), there had been no witnesses, no motive, no DNA on the murder weapon and no contact between victim & the accused (who always maintained they did not know each other), other than testimony from the professor who was the suspect the police pursued for a year before charging and hardly an objective one.
So yes, it sounds much to be looking for the place where that 'touch DNA' could have happened (and it looks as if Kalinda found it in the ER albeit too late) but here it is the main evidence on which this guy is being convicted, potentially for life.
Flag
Everything you said is true but a defense attorney is not there to coach the client into lying or remembering something that never happened which was what Will was doing. The expert witness said that it was more than likely the DNA and the amount that was found under her fingernails was due to defensive wounds and not touch DNA. The motive was a failed rape attempt the teacher said that he knew her from class. One of them was lying, recent events in the episode would suggest it was the accused. DNA is far more reliable than witnesses as people are more prone to error. As it turned out he went on a killing spree in the court room when things were looking bad for him not the actions of an innocent person but the actions of someone who would act out violently in the spur of the moment and cave a girls head in with a brick when they didn't go their way. Will was doing his job but as I said I think it was sleezy trying to coach him into remembering being in a certain place to get off a potential murderer who he had no idea of his guilt or innocence.
More +
Flag
Staff
The joys of defense attorneys.
Flag
Its actually in keeping in Wills win at all cost mentality. In the case of this episode he backed the wrong horse.
Flag
The death of will Gardner will sure have life changing decisions for the rest of the series
Flag
Insanely shocking. The Good Wife is just incredible this season. This was a fantastic move creatively for the show.
Flag
I agree. The show has done the impossible and only became better with the years. How many shows can say the same? :D
Flag
Great episode, can't say more than that really.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members