A The Good Wife Community
CBS (ended 2016)

The Good Wife S05E11: "Goliath and David"

After reading the episode description for "Goliath David," and watching the promo for it, I was totally prepared to rake The Good Wife over some coals. Will going after Alicia in court? Again? And in a case that he wasn't not originally involved with? "Let us move on," I was ready to whine over and over, "Let's have Alicia and Cary face down someone who's not from L.G., and everything will be okay! The narrative world will continue to spin!"

Then the episode happened, and there were a number of delightful, fun, playful moments, and the "Will versus Alicia" aspect faded into the background and it stopped mattering as much (I'm still going to talk about it, though). Instead, there was Matthew Lillard having far too much fun, and that out-of-left-field celebrity cameo that resolved the Marilyn baby plot in a way that almost made me okay with all the baby silliness we had to endure in the earlier episodes.

Oh, and there was also some Kalinda/Damian/Jenna stuff, and I'm totally inves— Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz... 

So the case-of-the-week was a riff on the whole Jonathan Coulton/Glee tiff from very early last year in which a popular TV show—in this case, Drama Camp, about "a summer camp talent show"—appropriated a musical duo's melody of a cover of a rap song in both the show and in the iTunes version. Thus we were treated to the myriad copyright entanglements involved in that, complete with derivative copyrights, transformative work arguments, a Ryan Murphy stand-in (who wasn't as much fun as The Good Wife's Aaron Sorkin stand-in from Season 2), and two musicologists fighting in court. It was all a lot of fun. The case certainly didn't have particularly high stakes, but it moved along at a brisk-enough pace, and featured enough clever legal strategy, that it was entertaining, and after weeks of next to nothing on TV, I don't mind something being just entertaining. Hell, any week I don't mind that.

The Good Wife has been a series that has, in the past, managed to absorb criticisms and make them a part of the show, like the whole bribing-judges arc as a way to make hay out of the "Wow, Lockhart/Gardner wins an awful lot of cases" observation. I feel like the show is acknowledging that the two firms always being in court against each other is becoming forced—"It's just coincidence that we keep opposing each other on cases?"—but the next question will be whether or not the show moves away from this structure going forward. Certainly it's providing a dramatic purpose, as Will and Alicia's private war in court feeds the notion of the hurt/revenge Will is going through, but did the instances in this episode, apart from providing some great burns on Will and showing how Alicia can be flustered in court, really do anything to change or enhance what we already experienced in "The Decision Tree"? I don't think so, and as such, they felt like gentle—but extraneous—reminders.

On the law firm front, Diane was attempting to pump the brakes on the expansion plans as Will, emboldened by the (apparent) success of the opening of the New York branch, wanted to expand to Los Angeles as well. Will's been using Damian to sway votes, and so Will is very much running Lockhart/Gardner less like the family the firm has often been described as and more like The Family. It's typical of Will's commando attitude, but the show may be pushing it too hard and too fast, or maybe it's just the association of Damian doing his enforcer thing that I'm having a negative response to. Maybe both.

Diane is backed into something of a corner here, since, as Will pointed out, she "walked away" from the firm, and Will had to step up. It's still something Will can use to outflank her, but only for so long, since Diane is still a name partner and has a number of partners who are loyal to her. Her side-eye and unwilling support of Will lifting the client solicitation ban spoke volumes, however, and so I won't be at all surprised if she goes looking for a home elsewhere before the season is finished.

Meanwhile, since the episode picked up right where "The Decision Tree" left off, Eli sent Kalinda off to find out who the father of Marilyn's baby is in an effort to make sure that it wasn't Peter Florrick, and just some other, random Peter. It was a nice plot for a couple of reasons. The first was that Kalinda got to do something resembling what she normally does: investigate things. So even though it was interrupted by Jenna a few times (she is the least busy cop/detective ever), it was good to see Kalinda out in the world, lying to people and getting information.

The other reason was that it lacked the drawn-out timeline that I was half-expecting the show to give to the paternity issue. I figured it would take a couple of episodes for this arc to be resolved, but Eli behaved exactly as Eli would: He confronted Marilyn very aggressively and it hurried things along, which I'm very happy about. That the baby's daddy was Peter Bogdanovich, well, that was just icing on the cake. I honestly don't remember the last time I let out such a loud laugh in the middle of an incredibly devastating moment for a show.

That moment, of course, was the reveal that the surveillance footage of stuffed ballot boxes being carried into a polling place from "What's in the Box?" has been obtained by a newspaper reporter, and the paper is about to post it online, with or without a comment from Eli. So the hunt is on for who leaked it. Will has a copy. Kalinda has a copy. But who else? And who would leak it? It's for sure not Kalinda, but it doesn't seem like it would be Will either, because frankly, it's too covert an action for a guy who's fonder of blowing things up to make sure you know it was him. Am I missing someone?

SIDEBAR

– I enjoyed Cary's little pep talk to Alicia after Will knocked her off her game in the first round of testimony. I need Cary do more things on this show.

– Silent Musician awkwardly attempting to hug Cary at the end? I died.

– "I'm getting so sick of this song." IT'S STILL IN MY HEAD. Club-hopping, booty-popping, drama-making...

– "Into what I wore the night you banged me the first time." "I was less discriminating then." Alicia is harsh.

– "Can I just say that I love this stuff? I mean, I don't understand a word you guys are saying, but this is awesome!" Later: "It's like legal jazz!" Lillard kind of deserves an Emmy for this performance.

– I'm really glad that Robyn got a "Kalinda moment" and saved the case.

– After Bogdanovich's cameo, I'm half-expecting Godard to show up as Damian the old mob boss in the season finale, just because.

– Jonathan Coulton was apparently watching the episode, and even tweeted about it. I'm sure he's joking.

– Judge Marx is my second favorite judge after Abernathy, so I'm always happy to see him.

– I know I made light of the Kalinda plot above, but once again it feels like she's in another show-within-a-show situation, and once again, I'm struggling to really care. That being said, I have no problem believing that Kalinda has absolutely no idea who Katy Perry is.

What'd you think of "Goliath and David"?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/8/2016

End

Season 7 : Episode 22

60 Comments
Comments (60)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Go Team JoCo!
Flag
Yep, the whole Jenna thing sucks... Makes no sense for Kalinda to have a relationship with someone she can't trust, considering what her job is and how guarded she is as a person. Hook up (behind the scenes, please, we've seen it already and frankly not very interesting scenes) sure but nothing worth an arc... Totally bored of Damian too who seems to be employed more as a thug of Will's than a lawyer...
The song case was fun and the court room drama with Alicia getting snarkier and Will obviously enjoying the game was slightly repetitive but I suppose it is just closing the Will-Alicia romance forever...
But the best was the Eli-Marilyn duel and how it seemed to keep pointing to Peter Florrick as the father and then bang! Vote tampering video finally resurfaces... And Peter Bogdanovitch is the daddy!!! Poor Eli... His face was incredible in that final scene and makes him deserving of a few acting awards...
Flag
Thank you for calling out the Kalinda/Damian/Jenna stuff as snore-bait. Holy crap am I already tired of that plotline, it's like they took Nick and split him into two annoying people, and it's going nowhere even faster. I thought I loved Kalinda, but how long has it been now since they've given her an interesting, relevant story? Two seasons at least, so maybe I don't like Kalinda anymore, maybe she's hollow and the writers are accidentally exposing that; I hope that's not the case though.

The apparent success of the New York branch really felt like a leapfrog, it's a success in what way? We barely have seen it discussed and already we're calling it a home run and moving on? "Too hard and too fast" indeed.

I think Diane is looking for an out, once she gave her carte-blanche approval to Will after his rant I think that was her sign that she's checking out, she has half the firm already on her side and she'll just walk. This also felt a little fast considering she was just champing at the bit to take down Cary and Alicia.

Overall, I liked the episode for the moments you highlighted, and tolerated it for the rather pat Perry Mason ending to the case and the second time we've ended on an Eli Gold cliffhanger in as many episodes.
More+
Flag
To me the breaking up of the show was a good idea and produced some really high quality episodes but its like the story is running on fumes it just doesn't seem realistic that every case their involved in revolves around the two firms. Its like someone comes up with a good idea but then six months later they didn't see there could be a problem splitting up the show. I can't stand the Boyle character you can almost imagine the writers coming up with someone "edgy" no basis in reality. He's there two weeks and he's now running the law firm, painfully ridiculous.
Flag
A lot of this episode seemed off but the rest of it was entertaining enough. The worst of it is Spiro's character - I do not get her at all, bad writing or bad acting or both. And I'm not generally precious with this stuff, I was one of the few people to have no issue with the Nick storyline.

The baby stuff was no better than usual but at least it's resolved. The case had its moments but was one of the weaker ones the show has done for a while. Will's actions are starting to drift from fascinating examination of an extrovert dealing with pain to tedious and cartoonish. The whole expansiony stuff is being done poorly - we're seeing Will boast about stuff but not seeing its fruition which makes the whole thing a bit vacuous, plus the Terra Nova guy changing the voting bloc stuff is not effective.

But Alicia's conversation with Will outside the court room pretty much made up for everything else and I'll repeat it here because Noel's trimming didn't fully capture its meaning:

Alicia: "Into what I wore the first night you banged me."
Will: "That's a low blow."
Alicia: "You're right. I was more discriminating then."

Finally whatever happened to Will's ongoing murder case with the Weeds guy?
More+
Flag
"less discriminating then" Great exchange, especially for the use of "bang".
Flag
Can't believe I screwed that up, thanks for the pickup.
Flag
Brilliant episode! Again, ripped out of the "news", the Coulton vs Glee song thing, great fodder for TV, especially since few people probably heard about it? (Except maybe millions of Glee fans.)

Question: Is the killer hilarious ending twist going to be a weekly feature now? I'd like to to think so, it's a scream. And Eli involved in both, he's the perfect fall guy for these.

Great line from Alicia "I wasn't very discriminating then" - and a visible torpedo tot he b__ls of Will.

I agree with those who say more Cary, dude is brilliant, charismatic and someday will have his own show, I'm sure. We all probably want Kalinda to nuke her nemesis soon, too, it's getting old, and he needs to be taken down. Diane, also a fantastic character, could use a win against Will, since her judgeship went away.

For those getting tired of Will/Alicia, think about how tired you'd be watching Law & Order SVU, NCIS, or the other procedurals. TGW, best show on TV with the worst name.
Flag
The Alicia/Will "revenge-thingie" is getting old.
Not even gonna discuss the Kalinda/Damien whatever!!!
Love that Eli is getting more screen time.

More Diane and Cary PLEASE!!!
Flag
It's a really good episode, very entertaining, no doubt. But I wish I could see more of Cary. I think the FA X LG thing is rapidly becoming really forced. If Michael J. Fox's show doesn't survive, it would be really cool to have his character back on TGW for a court battle against Florrick/Agos.
Flag
Ok... if Godard comes into action I'm all for it! Hahahaha!!! Can you *imagine*??????????

So... Will is the one who leaked the video and I've got the dialogue from last season's finale to prove it:

Will: That's outside the polling place.

Kalinda: Yeah... a surveillance camera across the street. Jim Moody. He works for the Florrick campaign.

Will: Where'd you get this?

Kalinda: Talked to the mini-mart across the street.

Will: Are there any other copies?

Kalinda: No. Just this one.

If that was, indeed, the only copy and Will was in possession of it... who else could have done it? This is a whole new low for Will and (if it is his move... which I seriously hope is not) it will most definitely tear Will and Alicia's connection up once and for all! :'(
Flag
TGW loves misdirection and red herrings so I can't believe it will be as simple as Will leaking the video but I can't come up with many alternatives other than the NSA having gotten access to it somehow as they got permission to become more invasive... Perhaps one of the NSA agents had a 'political activist' moment and leaked it for the good of democracy? Or Will's blonde yoga lady? She could have seen it and felt it was the 'right thing to do'?
Or Perry's Matt Kristeva somehow has links to Damian (since he's the king of dodgy) and Damian got Jenna to steal stuff from Kalinda who could have kept a copy?
Flag
I've thought about Will's new girlfriend as well... time will tell!
Flag
If it was Will who leaked it, I'm sure it had (almost nothing) to do with Alicia and everything to do with the phone conversation Will and Peter had in 'Hitting The Fan'. Will hates Peter more than Alicia, and there's no lust involved to blunt the hostility.
Flag
I don't know about that... I think we've seen worse hatred in the show! ;)
Flag
Absolute great new season! Never loved it more! And I loved it before! Great writing, acting and directing! This is just a great job! All departments that make this show happen did the best job ever!
Flag
"I was less discriminating then" - That was amazing and not really harsh in my opinion. Alicia doesn't really think Will is a piece of garbage, she's just kicking butt. It's emotional but it's still pretty much banter.

Also, I don't know how people are getting bored of the war. Every episode since Hitting The Fan has been ten out of ten. Let the coincidences continue!
Flag
The whole case reminded me of the Bittersweet Symphony debacle. Only in their case they got the rights to sample the melody from the orchestra version... but the judgement was they used "too much" of it or something.

Just a big weird what-is-legally-kosher-in-music case residing on the correct copyrights, whether something was ripped off, and sampling

Also Ice Ice Baby vs Under Pressure.
Flag
The case was Jonathan Coulton vs Glee for the rip off of a song he covered. Here's a sample article. I'm not sure it's up to date, but the basic story is pretty much what TGW showed.
Flag
Not one of the best TGW episodes but still great fun.It proves again that even a average TGW episode is delicious.

I was telling myself "not again" when it is Alicia vs Will again but it is a little different this time with both going lower than expected this time.

"I was less discriminating then." That was fun !

Matthew Lillard is good but Dominic Chianese is great ! Bring back The Sopranos memories !

Flag
All of the judges are great, it's yet another great asset to the people who do TGW: great casting!
Flag
Don't miss this!!! There's a video of the whole The Good Wife cast dancing to the song right here :

Flag
This is pure gold. I thought Cary and Alicia's fake head bopping in court was good. Hilarious episode.
Flag
Thanks ! From this we can see that Julianna Margulies probably dance better than Alicia Florrick :-)
Flag
Staff
Aah, thanks for posting that. I saw it on E!'s website, but couldn't find an embed code last night.
Flag
Cheers mate! :)
Flag
I was sort of dreading another showdown between Alicia and Will, too. I was pleasantly surprised when they managed to make it work! The case of the week was really entertaining and fun to watch.

I guess the writers think Kalinda needs to be in a relationship with an abusive dangerous person all the time? This is really getting annoying. I wish so much they hadn't ruined her friendship with Alicia, especially since they can't seem to figure out what to do with her now. I love Kalinda, give her something kick ass to do!

I couldn't be less interested in Damian... or Peter.
Flag
Staff
Meant to mention this in the sidebar, but The Simpsons toyed with copyright infringement in their episode on Sunday as well, though this time it was Homer pirating movies and then showing them for the neighborhood at the -- hehe -- Cinema Pirate-diso, aka, his backyard.
Flag
This show is getting BORING!!! Every week, it's the same damn thing!! Alicia gets involved in a case, Will weasels his way into opposing her, and then he has "visions" of them having sex, and he gets distracted. Blah, blah, blah. Will has turned into a real tool!!! And, how the hell did L/G get enough $ to open offices in New York, and now L.A.? They were almost bankrupt not long ago!!! And, the whole thing with the baby being fathered by Peter- stupid!!! This show has jumped the shark!!!!!!
Flag
They mentioned that they had a major windfall... between tightening their belt and some big cases not only were they out of the red... but they had a very profitable year. So much so that the partners didn't want to share it with the upcoming 4th year partners that were about to be anointed. Apparently there were underestimating how much they were bringing in.

BUT... that was such a cop-out. Nathan Lane's character was supposedly a super-great-accountant and yet it was a surprise that they were super-profitable? It was just a way to drop the bankrupt storyline.

The wildcard is ChumHum. I know there was some back-and-forth about who was going to get them as a client, and after Peter's TV appearance Alicia won them. But did L&G win them back during the later internet case? Because if not, that's a big chunk of change out of L&G's "future investment" pocket for new offices. I don't see them opening 2 new offices after losing that money.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Hi Noel! Did you have a nice holiday? Glad to see you back in 2014.

I, too, expect Diane to jump ship by the end of the season. It is hard to imagine a woman of her experience staying around to be pushed aside and otherwise mistreated for much longer. If Will would pull up from attack mode for a moment, he would see that.

It was nice to see Kalinda actually doing her job again, even if she was freelancing. However, the Jenna chick and her antics had me groaning. I'm starting to think that she knows Damian because he may have represented her in a stalking case. She tracked Kalinda down in a doctor's office and then pulled her over with lights and sirens because she wasn't returning her calls. i swear she becomes involved with the creepiest people.

I agree that Will would go for a more direct approach with the video of the stuffed ballot boxes. However, what would the direct approach get him? By being covert, he blows up Peter's governorship, possibly sending Peter back to jail, which blows up Alicia's marriage AAAAAAND likely her fledgling law practice, subsequently sending her back to L/G and his waiting arms. (Note: I'm not pulling for this scenario, just indulging the conspiracy theorist in me.)

And ditto to everything in the Sidebar.
More+
Flag
Staff
My holiday was okay, rather stressful and tiring more than nice, but there you go. Hopefully yours was better! :)

It's important to keep in mind that Diane came very close to jumping ship back in Season 2, taking David Lee and Julius Cain with her when she felt like Will was allying too much with Derek Bond. I feel the show is primed allow history to repeat itself, though with the added wrinkles of Diane's (slightly? not-so-slightly?) diminished status within the firm and the lack of an external cause for she and Will to unite against in the end.
Flag
Loved the case and Matthew Lillard ( who never disappoints), but I'm getting tired of the angry, vengeful Will/Alicia story. Move on indeed. I wouldn't be surprised if it was Will who leaked the tapes, because he seems petty enough now to do it. I'm also not enjoying watching Will hijack the firm from Diane, and I hope she asserts herself soon. Her walking away is balanced by his suspension, and they should be on equal ground. It's interesting to watch Alicia and Cary work better and better together while LG seems to be falling apart, but it's not necessary to drag it out. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Diane exit the firm.
Flag
(Wish I didn't know who Katy Perry is.) Noel, I'm so with you on Kalinda. She either needs to freeze dry her pelvis for a year, or find someone to build a relationship with instead of just stimulating her pudendal nerve. She could be killed, and I'm not sure anyone else on the show would notice for a week (other than Damian, who would wonder where his tail went). As for Jenna, she just proves that you don't have to have a dick to be one. But overall, every time a Kalinda scene begins, I think it's time for a bathroom break. The show is absolutely wonderful, but Kalinda is a sedative.

Also, Noel, you're right again about Cary. MORE CARY! He's Alicia's partner, not her sidekick. I understand why Lillard's (silent) partner wanted to hug him: they were mirrors of each other in this episode. Just to shake things up, why not have Cary argue a case against Diane instead of Alicia versus Will? Is that too radical? There obviously aren't any other law firms left in the world.
Flag
Staff
They have made repeated mentions that Chicago is bereft of law firms due to the economic downturn, apart from L/G, F/A, and I'm guessing Nyholm and Canning's firms, perhaps as a narrative out, but it's becoming a stretch after five season. Preston and Walsh can't keep jetting in from California, after all. The other issue is that, with Peter out of the SA's office (and Will is no longer with Amanda Peet), there seems to be less of an interest in having anyone face off with prosecutors. Which is too bad since I enjoy a lot of the characters over there, like Geneva and Maton.

That being said, I would all over a Cary vs Diane throw down. After doing my rewatch, their relationship, while never deep, was grounded in a number of similarities that should be more fully explored, and exploring it through a case would be great fun.
Flag
Matthew Lillard should get an Emmy for his performance.

Flag
Hurts me to say it but it wasn't a great episode. Will better not have leaked the tape.
I want Will to move on. Forget about the expansion plan, find cases which doesn't involve F/A, but mostly AGREE WITH WHATEVER DIANE SAYS!!!!
Flag
If they are going to continue with F/A versus L/G every week they need to come up with a more plausible reason than sued client walks into LG looking for Alicia & LG picks up client. Surely their Firm name & business address is somewhere on the document & a lawyer with an eye for the details should have noticed that?

Its becoming monotonous.

Great that the show is back, not a bad episode. I loved the "I was less discriminating back then comment".
Flag
I agree with your overall premise... it's getting old at this point. Hi I'm here to see Alicia F... oh she's not here?

While I could almost relate to the guy making the mistake, my experience isn't the same... I imagine the document would say "represented by Florrick, Agos & Assoc." instead of simply "Alicia Florrick and Cary Agos" which should have made him say "huh?" and continue reading.

In my little world, if a co-worker wants to see me and I've been to his office across-campus many many times and didn't know he changed offices last month, I'd go straight to his old office instead of checking the email-footer which has his new office address. But in that case, I'd still be seeing Entity X. Here, the lawyer was being sued by Entity Y.
Flag
Flag
I gotta say, I think they laid on Matthew Lillard's routine a bit too thick. I know that was the point, but there was just a bit too much "Shaggy" in the show. I was OK with it at first, but as the show continued I went from chuckling to groaning.

Heck, I was expecting someone to say "And they would've gotten away with it too, if not for those kids and their dog lawyers and their investigator.
Flag
Thank god The Good Wife is back. It was a very nice episode. We got to enjoy the spit-take again, resolved the "daddy issues" and Kalinda had something to do! I agree that the show has to back away from Alicia and Will squaring off in court soon, but it was still okay in this episode.
So far, this season has been great. I'm only missing Colin Sweeney. And more Judge Abernathy wouldn't hurt either! ;)
Flag
I really liked this episode for a lot of the same things you mentioned but I'm also really starting to dislike Will. I get it, he's hurt. But he's just coming across as such an adolescent!

Have to agree with you about Matthew Lillard. Haven't really ever been a big fan of his but he impressed me. Too bad that there probably won't be reason to bring him back.

And that Peter Bogdanovich cameo?! That was brilliant! Now they need to ask him to direct an episode.
Flag
Staff
I'd be all for Bogdanovich directing an episode, though looking over his IMDb, I'm not surprised to see he only has a few credits of directing episodic TV to his name.
Flag
The initial Willicia courtroom/bedroom scenes and rejoinders had me chuckling throughout. The whole episode was entertaining to bits! Maybe I'm just a little bit loopy after a good holiday but I found the comedic bits very well done. I also loved the way the whole Peter/baby story led upto the last few scenes which had Eli knocked for a six. Glad the baby angle is resolved... it was getting trying.
Flag
Maybe I was expecting too much while waiting for the hiatus to be over, but I was kinda disappointed with this episode. I just miss the drama. This episode was really comical with Matthew Lillard (love him as Shaggy's voice in the new Scooby Doo) and the Glee spoof. I also don't like how the case has become a second thought. They never really settled on anything, only implied that Alicia won. But I guess drama is back next week with Peter's new scandal. Enough with the spoofing (last time it was Reddit) and bring in a case that is a wee bit more serious.
Flag
So he does Shaggy's voice?! That's why I was calling him Shaggy!
Flag
CBS cut off the last 5 minutes of the episode on my DVR and I'm sad about that, but I can always count on a review from TV.com to help me out. Excellent episode, and i can not wait for Florrick/Agos to set out on their own adventures perhaps against other familar opposing laywers
Flag
Yeh I don't know what was going on... both CBS and FOX were both behind on Sunday night here in the NY metro area. Fortunately I still have my DVR to record The Mentalist set to record so I could see the last couple minutes there. Actually that was lucky because I was planning on dropping that show.

Unfortunately I lost the last 7+ minutes of Family Guy.

I'm used to seeing this kind of thing on The Good Wife... since sports or whatever sometimes delay the showing by 20-45 minutes. But Family Guy threw me for a loop.
Flag
Staff
Fox's football coverage ran long last night, which isn't something that happens all that often. Playoffs. Sigh.
Flag
Yeh that I know, but BOTH were off by close to the same amount. And I didn't think CBS had a football game on last night.

Fox is notorious for that though, I blame that for Futurama's cancellation
Flag
@noelrk Thanks man, that explains it.
Flag
Staff
CBS had basketball on in my market last night, and that pushed them back by about 3 to 5 minutes.
Flag
Flag
Flawless season.
Flag

Flag
Grrrreat!!
Flag
Brilliant! :D
Flag
Nice, GC...
Flag